AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX Review: 24 Cores on a Budget

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Basin Falls may be soldered, but considering that the solder in the 9000-series doesn't seem to do as much as people had hoped, we should be prepared for there not to be a lot of OC headroom.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If you can't afford it, you don't need it. Anyone who can make actual use of this CPU is using it in a business which is generating the money necessary to pay for it.

g-unit1111

Titan

Exactly, if I were in a business to generate content I would take the 24 core TR4 CPU over the 18 core Intel equivalent for less money any day of the week. Not everything is made to play games on it.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Good eye, fixed!

Kaz_2_

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
get out intel they using this to win share and profit from gamer. Threadripper will be best of both world. what else intel can pull ? no reason to let intel win all the games because they doesnt help competition in the further run. If they win you wont find any cheap cpu in the next 5 years

Oct 29, 2018
something, intel has solved a problem in CPU design amd did not, it is getting it cool enough for long time high frequency. It is why it could run seamlessly for hours... AMD has problem in high frequencies. AMD uses twice amount of resources in smaller cores, Intel is very monolithic package, so, runs the same performance in different workloads..
Intel has bigger cores, but less sillicon, because it is one thread execution in parallel, so, in very high # of threads (benchmarks only), amd is winner...

Thanks!

carl_heinz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Why everyone is praising the new threadripper with its lousy performance?!!! I need to check the graphs again and read the conclusion to see what I really missed!!!

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Some observations:
* In the last set of graphs the "Compression" and "Decompression" graphs are mixed up and should be the other way around. (Ryzen is much better at decompression than it is at compression.)
* It's a pity that the Core i9-7920X isn't in there. That's the only relevant Intel offering at this price point.
* While the 2970WX can draw >400W when overclocked, it's marginally less power hungry than i9-7900X at stock settings.

Not for any of the work the TR is intended for.

agello24

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
in a multitasking multicore world, the last think i would expect a reviewer to put in a review is anything dealing with "single core" performance.

Multitasking means you are running multiple tasks,some of those might be single core tasks.