AMD Shows Radeon Roadmap for Early 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]sportsfanboy[/nom]^ The 68xx series is the replacement for the 57xx series. Their naming scheme is a bit confusing.[/citation]
Yup, I was aware of that when I may be purchase decision. My benchmarks show about a 15% increase in performance. I get a Win7 score of 7.7 (instead of 7.5 like my 4870) and am now able to run all 3 of my displays on one card instead of 2 4870's. :)

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]@noblerabbitI agree that PC games are not where we'd like to see them.But the Mass Effects and Dragon Age were great.So was StarCraft 2.I don't often play nVidia only titles, but Metro2033 had some amazing graphics.I say all that to say-- take heart and please suport your friendly neighborhood developer; don't pirate![/citation]

ROFL, would love to get my hands on a 6990 or X2.

Sry have a copy of StarCraft2 here and played it for 5 mins then uninstalled and cursed the day I bought it. Shout if you need the cd key + other 30 day keys, bloody useless game. Just as horrible as Vista, would pay anyone to take this junk from me.

Now there is a free-2-play online something from Dice+EA I think that looks decent coming out soon, look promising after the recent EA+Dice wall hacked beta / Oct 2010 disaster.
If only they would post real in-game game play not faked propped pics of how the game does not look like as is normally done.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
just bought the powercolor 6850 for ~$185 w/ shipping from the egg. Couldn't be happier with the performance increase from my sapphire 4870 512 toxic. Better framerate, lower temps, and it's much quieter. It it holds up better than my 4870(had to rma twice back to sapphire) all will be well

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i'm pretty impressed with AMD, seeing as how 2 6870's in CF cost less and preform better than Nvidia's new 580, and pretty much puts AMD 5870 performance at mid level prices. I'm still waiting to see how the 6900's perform. This is gonna be another good year for PC enthusiast.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
also from what I heard the 6970's is gonna be similar in performance to the 580, and cost around $450. well just have to wait and see.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]rhino, I buy the games I love to play, I have legally purchased over $10,000 of Software, entertaining games, that I loved to play. I admit, I have tried some lent games, I obtained via friends, but when I love a game, and theere are a few indeed, NeedforSpeed Shift, all CommandConquer games, SC2, All Diablo games (Going to take 2 years off work to play D3 to death - literally), The witcher, and lately, some PS3 titles. Rockband , err.. not much else for PS3 lol,..Pirating, did kill it for PC, I have to agree a little. Developers and artists deserve recompensation. The power of the internet however, should EASILY give any lost money back to them, where it belongs. If EVERY Pirate donated ONE DOLLAR per month, over the next few years, we can start over making great games.[/citation]

Great Ubisoft employee for your comment but can you inform UBISOFT that no one wants to buy lemons / crap games if they can not beta / demo it and then once it is found "not wanting" they would gladly purchase it as was shown with horrible junk "MW2" that everyone expected to be the first game released in the last 6 years for pc.

we are so used to get ripped of by Arse*oles / UBISOFT / Gaming conmen company's that you are forced to demo a game before you purchase.

We all want to pay but not for junk so are forced to beta / demo it and if the only beta / demo copy available is a torrent then test and if you like purchase as 90% of P2P people do with music and games / anything.

That is the only reason why Apple iTunes is making money P2P testing and then purchased the "non junk" from iTunes and delete the rubbish.

God it is such a pain to get a working copy of your Walmart purchased 2 times replaced defective broken poorly made by UBISOFT game cd's and then forced to torrent and use your purchased cd key from Walmart to make it work + get viruses and other crap from the torrent just because of retarded UBISOFT "f-you attitude".

Then the retard at no support "UBISOFT" tells you you are banned because you downloaded a torrent WTF? to fix their broken crap you get banned. ???????

Tell that to your slave owners UBISOFT employee and tell them to look at the Walmart cd key + receipt scanned and send to their "no support" retard division.

Now stop smoking donkey crap and catch a wake up + build a game and stop harassing your paying customers that is forced to fix your crap product you don't give a damn about.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
to Warra^2

I have to agree, the methods used nowadays to protect intellectual property, is more secure and paranoid, that the United States of A Homeland Security and Windows ME Firewall security features, combined.

UBISoft, has become a different company, than it used to, back in the golden ages of Amiga games. (Ubisoft: Twinworld, classic) Today, it requires you to have a passport and an RFID embedded in your penis foreskin to enable you to play their games online. But I have to hand my hat to them, it is a surefire way to finally combat piracy. Settlers7 has not and will never be cracked. This has , although, deterred MANY purchasers, but equally zapped a LARGE number of pirates to get the game spoonfed and immorally the wrong way, as were many games of late, off of Bittorrent.

A personal note to UBI, and DRM golems,

it appears you love releasing fifty titles of rehashed games per year, on every platform. Do you expect gamers (unemployed children and their laidoff parents living in highest cost of living ever recorded to date) to fork out 59.99+tax x 50 = $3,000 on Videogames per year just from your company? certain, games, i agree should be $59.99, but those have to be memorable ones. the other 49 titles should be no more than $12.99 a pop, even at retail. Just like music Tapes and CD's have been for the last quarter century.

Vilekon

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I had a feeling they were gonna make the 69xx the top of the line with the 6990 being the best.

The naming scheme kinda makes sense that way since the 6990 is the top of a generation.

Still that 68xx changing does confuse those who aren't aware, but I guess a change has to come somewhere.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I just picked up a HD 6850 for cheap and it's faster, cheaper, more efficient and better tech than my HD 4870 2GB I bought a year ago. I love it when AMD/NVIDIA have a dog fight! We win![/citation]\
Oh, you poor soul. For one, there was never a 2GB version of the 4870 released. Don't try that whole "yea there was, but only for a short time" bullcrap.
My other point is that the 4870 is only a TINY bit slower than the 6850, if it is at all. The 4870 was able to match or beat the 5870 in some titles, and the 6800 series isn't a power upgrade from the 5800 series. Technologically and heat-efficiency-wise, you are correct in saying it's better. Thank you, and have a nice day.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]From the looks of it 6970 & 6950 is a tier up from 5870 instead of replacement. Idiotic naming scheme.[/citation]

no doubt from chip optimizations they will be a good 15% faster than the 5800 series. From everything I have read, AMD will skip the 32nm process and go strait for the 28nm process. This will probably be in the 7000 series though.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]\Oh, you poor soul. For one, there was never a 2GB version of the 4870 released. Don't try that whole "yea there was, but only for a short time" bullcrap.My other point is that the 4870 is only a TINY bit slower than the 6850, if it is at all. The 4870 was able to match or beat the 5870 in some titles, and the 6800 series isn't a power upgrade from the 5800 series. Technologically and heat-efficiency-wise, you are correct in saying it's better. Thank you, and have a nice day.[/citation]
My bad. I must have been looking at the 5770 vs the 4870.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]\Oh, you poor soul. For one, there was never a 2GB version of the 4870 released. Don't try that whole "yea there was, but only for a short time" bullcrap.My other point is that the 4870 is only a TINY bit slower than the 6850, if it is at all. The 4870 was able to match or beat the 5870 in some titles, and the 6800 series isn't a power upgrade from the 5800 series. Technologically and heat-efficiency-wise, you are correct in saying it's better. Thank you, and have a nice day.[/citation]

um you sir are a douche, do a little research next time before you call someone out like that http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd4870_vapor_x/

sabicao

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Nonsense, dude! There are indeed several 2gb 4870 around. Look it up.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]steelcity1981[/nom]So I take it by the looks on that graph arrow that AMD has no plans on replacing the Radeon 5770 at least in the first quater of 2011.Anyone else notice how AMD is using some of the same codenames with past Windows OSes condenames like Whistler and Blackcomb?[/citation]

those are nountains in BC...

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]no doubt from chip optimizations they will be a good 15% faster than the 5800 series. From everything I have read, AMD will skip the 32nm process and go strait for the 28nm process. This will probably be in the 7000 series though.[/citation]
and in addition to the previous comments saying youre a douche... the 4870 does not match or beat the 5870 except when there is some other bottleneck in the system. understand a topic before you comment.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Still happy with my purchase of a 5850, its working as intended, and more!

Sorry, love AMD, and have ALWAYS loves ATI'S competitive pricing.... just more BANG FOR YOUR BUCK, than nvidia, who may come out with a nice card price wise every once In a while, but in general, LACK what I'm looking for

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Cmon time to go to 32mm or even 28mm process, shrink these B*tches![/citation]

"shrink these B*tches!" Quote of the Year, hands down.

G

Caicos GPU is what I am looking for. The current 5450 is really underwhelming with about 1/3 the memory bandwidth of the screenshot above. I am really hoping the 63xx card has at least twice the performance of the predecessor and blowing away the inadequate ION 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.