AMD Slams Intel's Atom S Processor: ''Too Little, Too Late''

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Intel is like a steamroller.
If it didn't aim for small server market, then it simply didn't want to.
But now that it does, watch out.
Intel has a tendency to come in and take over any segment it desires lol

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]At this point Intel could probably purchase AMD...as terrible as that sounds....[/citation]
There would be issues with anti-trust legislation and bad for us consumers as a whole due to lack of competition (already signs of this in the high end).

dkcomputer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Intel should come back with a press release on how AMD has somehow managed to release new, lower performing, higher wattage processors, than the crap they made 3 years ago

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
when AMD does not have a comparable processor at this time

AMD E-Series anyone?
They may be the consumer part, but they are certainly comparable to anything Atom.

Also..

AMD has this fabric, including super-compact motherboards, and it is patented.
AMD.. Maybe you should advertise these things instead of hiding them away?
Oh and P.S.. Piledriver is great and all, but why not develop full-size cores instead of the two cores per module approach?

Imagine the performance from four full cores based on the modified architecture, likely on-par or faster per-core than Ivy Bridge..

"Integration is the space Intel has to catch up on, not architecture."

So many lost words to point out the obvious? Jeez... I'm guessing the AMD slapping was just part of the inside blue joy (or jew?), bwahahaha.

Cheers!

G

AMD has a market share of $1.66 billion while Intel has $102.75 billion. Its like North Korea bad mouthing the US at who is better at annihilating a country.

1) Intel has HASWELL coming to compete in the mobile space, as AMD well knows. Wait another year and see what happens there. I know I'd like a 12" Transformer tablet (tablet/laptop) with an x86 version of Windows 8 rather than RT.

2) Anyone buying a SERVER device is likely to be somewhat computer literate. I doubt a letter like this will have little impact.

3) AMD is supposed to be badmouthing Intel, but then make a point of referring to Intel products like the dual-core Atom while saying nothing about their own products? Weird. And they say Intel was "not supportive" (whatever that means).

*What I did NOT see in this article was ANY solid reasons why Intel could not compute, or why AMD was a better choice. Sigh.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]AMD E-Series anyone?They may be the consumer part, but they are certainly comparable to anything Atom.Also..AMD.. Maybe you should advertise these things instead of hiding them away?Oh and P.S.. Piledriver is great and all, but why not develop full-size cores instead of the two cores per module approach?Imagine the performance from four full cores based on the modified architecture, likely on-par or faster per-core than Ivy Bridge..[/citation]

AMD has replicated most of the core, might as well replicate the rest
But I think they want to use HSA and use the GPU in APU's for the floating point stuff

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I don't think AMD is arguing it has alot of market share in those areas. I think the argument was that the (lightweight core) market can be broken into 3 segments, phones, tablets, and micro servers. And Intel having failed in the first 2 are now jumping their hat in micro servers where AMD feels it has a leg up as it recognized it as a nascent but important market far before Intel did. Maybe that was the point that AMD was trying to get across. Hence, their acquisition of a key micro server player more than a year ago.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
it's about time amd regrows a pair. for years they kep silent they need to do more of this arggressiveness like they did back in the old k8 days. Someone needs to light a fire under amds butt again.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
AMD has succeeded when it bought up good companies, the K8, came from the work of DEC Alpha which they purchased and poached their engineers from. The graphics came from ATI. What AMD needs to do as a strategy is work on getting good people, they got SeaMicro. They should have looked at buying ARM long ago when they would have been affordable to them. I don't think AMD has success when they try and create on their own ... had I been CEO, I'd have just been looking for solid companies and snapping them up and adding to their IP, which is why Intel really kicks their axx, not only do they have the manufacturing prowress but they have a huge leg in research.

Had AMD had this approach long ago they'd be solid, it seems they don't cultivate or acquire talent very well by just hiring them to AMD.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Stickmansam[/nom]There would be issues with anti-trust legislation and bad for us consumers as a whole due to lack of competition (already signs of this in the high end).[/citation]imo, AMD as a whole is worthless to Intel now, if anything it is their GPU department that Intel might want.

u cant really get anti-trust buying their GPU only :p

G

Put an Intel Atom and an ARM chip on the same process node and run them a full load and the chip with the lesser amount of transistors will win the low power race, unless Intel has access to some sort of dark energy component! AMD's SeaMicro interconnect tech puts themin a good position to compete! Put an Intel next to an ARM or AMD x86 and the price war is Intel's loss!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You guys seem to be missing a major part of this.

AMD owns SeaMicro....
SeaMicro still depends on Intel's Atom processor....
AMD profits from SeaMicro's business

It's to AMD's advantage to poke and prod Intel. AMD knows if Intel gets serious about the Micro Server market, it will take off. SeaMicro isn't in a position to sell micro servers based on AMD products and as such, they need Intel to approach the market very aggressively. They need products that are very attractive and easy to market. AMD also needs time to develop a product suitable for the micro server market and they need SeaMicro to be successful in the mean time.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LOL all these intel fanboys.. Maybe AMD wouldn't be so bad off right now if intel hadn't completely screwed them over in the past. I'm no amd fanboy (still rocking i7), but come the hell on. Don't act like intel are freaking angels.

It's just the normal bs these companies do nothing more nothing less.

anononon

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
"Integration is the space Intel has to catch up on, not architecture."

On their next generation chips, they have integrated their wifi module into the wafer. Thats got to count for something next to the die shrink.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is competitive amd that is talking in this letter. they have been very vocal about their plans to expand the microserver business and adding ARM cpus among other things. of course theyd talk against their competition. thats how business works. AMD however talked against intel with valid facts. this is competition, not hate and fanboyism.

G

I do find this article funny. Does this mean that AMD will no longer use Intel CPUs in their microservers? Are they willing to give up potential sales in order to push their own products? As far as I know, 2014 has been the actual date of the 64-bit ARM CPU releases. That is over a year away. Intel has an entire year to boost its portfolio in this space while ARM nor AMD X86 has an answer. This is not an E-50. This is a completely different kind of processor build and optimized especially for the microserver market. SeaMicro has no choice but to adopt it at least for a year and possibly longer. Their ARM offering might not even be a better solution once they get it. Intel might come out with a better microserver ATOM by 2014. Sigh, very silly to poke holes in a product they are going to have to use until there is a competitor 14 months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.