AMD Socket 939 Help

• Thread starter Deleted member 1127758
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1127758

I own a decrepit Compaq Presario Sr1519uk. Recently whilst moving; the cpu cooler came dislodged and mashed the pins of the cpu to death. My mobo (MSI MS-7184) has a socket 939 cpu adapter. Should I put another AMD Athlon 64 in, or is there a better cpu my mobo could support. Sorry if I sound like a noob, because I am one.

Many Thanks,
James.

Solution
Depends on your MoBo actually. If its a Compaq, then it should be a 95W part tops.

I remember the Athlon 64 X2 4200 was a low wattage part, so you can use that one. You could also try your luck with some FX-50s that fit s939. There should be some in eBay or something.

Cheers!
D

Deleted member 1127758

I know I can't use any cpu on the socket. However, can I use any socket 939 cpu on it? Having a look online you can buy these old processors fairly cheap.

A "new" 939 CPU is not really gonna help you, either way, they are ancient and are gonna be slow, even the fastest 939 that you can find.

Depends on your MoBo actually. If its a Compaq, then it should be a 95W part tops.

I remember the Athlon 64 X2 4200 was a low wattage part, so you can use that one. You could also try your luck with some FX-50s that fit s939. There should be some in eBay or something.

Cheers!

Solution
Aug 6, 2013
I have exactly the same Compaq PC running XP and I like it almost as much as my new i7 4770 rig I built last month.
The Compaq runs great.
This new rig has just as many teething problems as that initially had.
I use it to read on or surf for downloads for all the updates my Z87 Sabertooth needs; and to try and get my Asus VG278H 3D monitor working properly (if it ever will).
Everyone needs two computers on the net these days. Hope you got a chip. I would like a faster spare (I have the 3200 1.9GHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.