AMD Socket F (1207) vs Conroe ??????

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have ( actually had) a tyan 2885s mobo which recently shorted out and now won't work (Disk Read Error; flashing the bios did not help and I believe a chip is shorted out).

I have 2 amd 250 optys @ 2.4 ghz + radeon x800xt (AGP of corse).

I have some cash on hand and was wondering, should I upgrade to this:

A socket F Opteron 2210 Santa Rosa 1.8 ghz for $280 (2 of these should be faster than one F socket @ 2.0 ghz for $419?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819105021

An ASUS KFN5-D SLI Dual Socket 1207 MOBO $290

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131038

1 CPU + MOBO = 570

2 CPU + MOBO = 850

-------------------------------------
OR
-------------------------------------

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T MOBO $270

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025

Core 2 DUO E6600 @ 2.4 ghz $360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

CPU + MOBO = 630

------------------------------------------------------------------

If I can't use my DDR 400 ram (for now), i'd get this

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 $210 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227124

Vid Card:

SAPPHIRE 100150L Radeon X1900XTX 512MB@ $355 (unless someone mentions one for a better price).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102037

AMD: 2 CPU = 850 + 210 + 355 = $1375
AMD: 1 CPU = 570 + 210 + 355 = $1135
Intel: 1 CPU = 630 + 210 + 355 = $1135

I plan on using the system for years to come and once I "retire" it, if its server hardware (AMD), I'll convert it over to a true back up server. If I go the Conroe route, I'll just replace the Tyan 2885s MOBO later and then have a stand alone server. Either way, this computer will be used for the next 3 + years.

I use it for work as well as games.

Having DDR2 and PCI Express is a big step over my AGP and DDR board. For server applications, I doubt having DDR2 (and PCI express would be useless for pushing data in and out) would really help in terms of data movement to back up stuff enough to warrant the upgrade for purely server purposes.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
This Thread is for you.

It would seem the Core 2 Duo may end up giving you more performance over the dual Opteron rig you're looking at (especially in games).

Plus it costs less.. ;)

Unless you're going to be doing work that requires the use of the 4 core (dual Opteron Dual Cores) then I would definatly look towards the Core 2 Duo E6600.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
This article might be worth something (I haven't had the chance to read it):

http://tweakers.net/reviews/646

It's not a direct comparison - they compare a Socket F Opteron to the Dempsey and Woodcrest core Xeons. But, since the Woodcrest is a Core 2 Duo design for servers, it should still be relevant.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks guys.

Going the CONROE route would probably be best. Its never a good time to upgrade. I'm lookin forward to seeing what the K8L from AMD will do, but I guess thats a year away (at the least).

The conroe should hold me for a few years at least, especially with good ram and a good vid card.

Thanks guys.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Thanks guys.

Going the CONROE route would probably be best. Its never a good time to upgrade. I'm lookin forward to seeing what the K8L from AMD will do, but I guess thats a year away (at the least).

The conroe should hold me for a few years at least, especially with good ram and a good vid card.

Thanks guys.

No prob..:)

Core 2 Duo's are great processors... trust me.. it's not just that it's faster.. but when exiting Battlefield 2 my computer is instantly available no slow down at all.. hell it loads levels much quicker too.

But that's for gaming...

And in case you're wondering what I'm comparing it too.. well I have an AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ oc'ed to 3.2GHz.. that's what I'm comparing too.

No doubt Conroe is good, but to take advantage of your existing hardware, I'd pick up a Tyan S2895 or a Supermicro H8DCE with a nice PCI-e video card, save a wad of cash and not have to totally revamp your rig...unless of course, a total upgrade is something you want to do...either way, good luck!

Dude, I can't believe you actually referenced the bull$hit article to someone. You should hang your head in shame :oops: for perpetuating blatant FUD! I'm beginning to wonder about you Elmo...

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
No doubt Conroe is good, but to take advantage of your existing hardware, I'd pick up a Tyan S2895 or a Supermicro H8DCE with a nice PCI-e video card, save a wad of cash and not have to totally revamp your rig...unless of course, a total upgrade is something you want to do...either way, good luck!

Dude, I can't believe you actually referenced the bull$hit article to someone. You should hang your head in shame :oops: for perpetuating blatant FUD! I'm beginning to wonder about you Elmo...

Why is the article bullshit? Do you have proof that they are spreading FUD?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

If I lived my life caring about what others think and living it according to there wants and needs I'd be pretty miserable. you can think what you like about me, it's your right afforded to you by the Constitution of your country (unless you live under some dictatorship regime).

That article is not FUD at all. Given the software used in that article and the authors needs are quite similar it makes sense to compare them. Also it's about the only real comparison we have between these two set's of systems aside from those at Xtremesystems which also point to the Core 2's strengths.

It won't win every benchmark.. but the fact that it stays competitive is convincing enough.

Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison.
By the article writer's own admission it was not a direct comparison. Recommending that article is perpetuating bad/poor info/advice.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison.
By the article writer's own admission it was not a direct comparison. Recommending that article is perpetuating bad/poor info/advice.

Ummm no he meant it was apples to oranges given the fact that the Opteron was able to process 4 threads simultaneously as opposed to the Core 2 Extreme X6800's 2 threads simultaneously.

This would indicate a definite advantage for the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron system in the tests conducted. So it's apples to oranges. But of course the results surprised him. They didn't surprise me as we've been discussing this over at Xtremesystems for quite some time.

Apple = Consumer Processor
Oranges = Server/Workstation Processor

Apples to Oranges. ;)

EDIT:

I also wanted to analyze the authors comments.
Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison. But what we learned in this test is that the fastest Opteron processors are nowhere near as quick as Intel's latest Core 2 technology. Heck, just one of the dual-core Core 2 Extreme chips can beat two of the dual-core Opterons in many tests. Keeping that in mind, we'll next bring one of the newest dual Intel Xeon (Woodcrest) workstations into our Midwest Test Facility labs, where their dual/dual-core Core 2 technology has the potential to show these Opterons who's boss. Until then, HP xw9400 Workstation is our new King of the Hill, and even though it doesn't give you nearly the bang for the buck as the Intel-packing Dell Precision 390 Workstation, it's still recommended. 8.9 out of 10 stars.

Keeping in mind that it's a single-processor against two processors with this HP machine, the performance of the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor was remarkable, as borne out in our benchmarks.
Apple to Oranges.

It's apple to oranges because of thise..
It's two against one as the Core 2 Extreme fights with one hand tied behind its back

2 vs. 1, so the advantages are on the Opteron's side.. ;) Now imagine what two Woodcrests would do.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

Hmm...I was under the impression that his statement

"Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison."

Was implying that it is not a straight comparison since you are comparing a 2p system with a server CPU to a 1p system that has an enthusiast CPU.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

"Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison."

Was implying that it is not a straight comparison since you are comparing a 2p system with a server CPU to a 1p system that has an enthusiast CPU.

That's exactly what the author meant.. ;) Also the fact that in rendering.. Opterons gain a large advantage in 64bit over 32bit operations. So the Opteron's running x64 make it all the more Apples to Oranges. The odds are highly stacked in the Opteron's favour. This is what impressed the author.

That's exactly what the author meant.. ;) Also the fact that in rendering.. Opterons gain a large advantage in 64bit over 32bit operations. So the Opteron's running x64 make it all the more Apples to Oranges. The odds are highly stacked in the Opteron's favour. This is what impressed the author.

Rationalize and justify it any way you want, regardless of whether you prefer Intel or AMD, it doesn't change the fact that it is not a direct comparison of the two systems; therefore, herego, the article is invalid as source data when comparing Core 2 to Opterons. Why's that so difficult to understand?! The Good Buddha knows how people have freaked in these forums about having benchies and comparisons be on the same level. Remember the Anand Conroe vs. FX benchies a while ago? How come it seems that this article is all of a sudden valid?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Can you point out why it's not valid.. I've asked you about 4 times now and you still haven't answered.

Why is this test not giving a fair chance to the 2-Way Dual Core Opterons. This is of course your argument. Why is this test not giving that rig a fair chance?

Can you point out why it's not valid.. I've asked you about 4 times now and you still haven't answered.

Why is this test not giving a fair chance to the 2-Way Dual Core Opterons. This is of course your argument. Why is this test not giving that rig a fair chance?

My issue is that the article is not a relevant and valid comparison, period. And, it is compounded by thoughtless fanboys jumping on a the bandwagon for another reason to say that one cpu is better than another.

I do not care if the article favors the Core 2 or Opteron. I did not imply the article was not giving a fair chance to the 2-Way Dual Core Opterons. Those are your assumptions and reading words into my posts. Please do not project your presumptions and bias.

But to answer your question, and as you so adeptly commented, this is why article is not valid...
Ummm no he meant it was apples to orangesgiven the fact that the Opteron was able to process 4 threads simultaneously as opposed to the Core 2 Extreme X6800's 2 threads simultaneously.

This would indicate a definite advantage for the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron system in the tests conducted. So it's apples to oranges. But of course the results surprised him. They didn't surprise me as we've been discussing this over at Xtremesystems for quite some time.

Apples to Oranges.

EDIT:
Quote:
Of course, testing these dual Opteron machines against a single-processor Intel Core 2 Extreme workstation is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison. But what we learned in this test is that the fastest Opteron processors are nowhere near as quick as Intel's latest Core 2 technology. Heck, just one of the dual-core Core 2 Extreme chips can beat two of the dual-core Opterons in many tests. Keeping that in mind, we'll next bring one of the newest dual Intel Xeon (Woodcrest) workstations into our Midwest Test Facility labs, where their dual/dual-core Core 2 technology has the potential to show these Opterons who's boss. Until then, HP xw9400 Workstation is our new King of the Hill, and even though it doesn't give you nearly the bang for the buck as the Intel-packing Dell Precision 390 Workstation, it's still recommended. 8.9 out of 10 stars.

Quote:
Keeping in mind that it's a single-processor against two processors with this HP machine, the performance of the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor was remarkable, as borne out in our benchmarks.

Apple to Oranges.

Quote:
It's two against one as the Core 2 Extreme fights with one hand tied behind its back

2 vs. 1, so the advantages are on the Opteron's side.. Now imagine what two Woodcrests would do.

In your own reply to counter me you point out the very reason why it's apples to oranges and not a direct comparison. And, you want me to explain it?

Good Buddha you are a thick headed little Intel fanboy, aren't you?!

mor123

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Well I don’t really know what the issue here is. It really doesn’t help philosophizing about whether the article is valid or trying to find deep hidden meanings it the author’s phrases. I’m sure his not a poet.

Fact of the matter is whether the article is valid or not, and forget about the internals of each system, two systems (box A and box B) were compared and one came out favorable.

In this case, the “cheaper”, more “average Joe” market friendly system won. If the 2-way operaton system came out tops and people were posting rants about the operaton wasting the Intel, then you might consider the validity of the article because the dual operaton is supposed to be in a much higher price and performance class. But unfortunately the VW beetle beat the Ferrari and I’ll say this again, even if you deem the article invalid because they are comparing apples with oranges, do you think it really matter?

This is not a surprise to me seeing that since the Core 2 release, 90% of internet sites and magazines had rave reviews for these CPUs. And whether their articles were valid or not, who cares? Buy directly comparing systems it was generally found that A is faster than B. Period. Now get over it and don’t worry, I’m sure AMD will make a come back and no one will kill you for owning an AMD based machine.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
definitely get conroe , AMD sucks/

Do you know ANYTHING about CPUs? If so where the hell did a statement as un-factual and misleading as this come from? AMD is a great company, and they do their best with the limited resources at their disposal.

That a company 1/10th the size of Intel could beat them in the performance arena for 3 years is quite astonishing to be honest.

But unfortunately the VW beetle beat the Ferrari and I’ll say this again, even if you deem the article invalid because they are comparing apples with oranges, do you think it really matter?

Where did you say this the first time, considering your post count was 1 when you wrote this?!

A rational, objective, and thinking human being deems that article and any reference to it as invalid.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I do not care if the article favors the Core 2 or Opteron. I did not imply the article was not giving a fair chance to the 2-Way Dual Core Opterons. Those are your assumptions and reading words into my posts. Please do not project your presumptions and bias.

But to answer your question, and as you so adeptly commented, this is why article is not valid...
Ummm no he meant it was apples to orangesgiven the fact that the Opteron was able to process 4 threads simultaneously as opposed to the Core 2 Extreme X6800's 2 threads simultaneously.

Apples to Oranges.

EDIT:
Quote:

Quote:

Apple to Oranges.

Quote:

2 vs. 1, so the advantages are on the Opteron's side.. Now imagine what two Woodcrests would do.

In your own reply to counter me you point out the very reason why it's apples to oranges and not a direct comparison. And, you want me to explain it?

Good Buddha you are a thick headed little Intel fanboy, aren't you?!

Hahahaha... I'm no Intel fanboy kid. You're proving to be an AMD fanboi though.

You still haven't answered the question. What about this test makes it impossible to get a glimpse of the performance differences between a core 2 Extreme X6800 and a 2-Way Dual Opteron processor?

Considering I'm using this Apples to Oranges series of tests to promote the power of the Core 2 processor I do not see why one cannot use the tests and formulate there own conclusions.

You see, the test is apples to oranges because it's completely favouring the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron machine. I mean it's using Windows XP x64 and TWO Dual Core Opteron processors (2 more actual cores then the Core 2).

And even with all that FIRE POWER... it's still not dominating the Core 2 Extreme X6800.

So it's Apples to Oranges in the sense that the test did not give the Intel setup a fair chance.. but even in this case it's still VERY clear that the Core 2 is the superior architecture.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
But unfortunately the VW beetle beat the Ferrari and I’ll say this again, even if you deem the article invalid because they are comparing apples with oranges, do you think it really matter?

Where did you say this the first time, considering your post count was 1 when you wrote this?!

A rational, objective, and thinking human being deems that article and any reference to it as invalid.

No, a rational thinking human being would take the article for what it's worth. It shows that despite being totally outgunned the Core 2 is still able to shine. That's what the article shows. The configurations used (the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron running x64 which gives it a performance increase in rendering vs. a Core 2 Extreme X6800 using a 32bit O/S).

You wish the results to be deemed invalid because they cast a bad light on your precious Opteron. Well, it's either this or they do up a test with a 2-Way Opteron running a 32bit O/S and a 2-Way Woodcrest also running a 32bit O/S and see the Opteron get an even larger beating (losing in every test).

Up to you really.. either way the results won't move your way..:p

Fanboi's.. seriously..

You're really not making any sense. Then what's wrong with someone using these tests to formulate there own conclusions if it's more then giving the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron a fair chance?

Seriously.. you're lacking logic my friend. You ARE a rabid fanboi, I could go around pasting some of the posts you've made. When independent tests show product A outperforming product B then those claiming that Product A is better are not fanboi's.. but stating the FACTS.. those still claiming Product B to be better are fanboi's.

So I'm not a fanboi.. ;) You sir are the fanboi.. now that's logic young grasshopper... lol!!!

Now as I drive the last nail into your coffin I pretty much have figured out why this test hurts you dear. You're a Dual Opteron 250 Owner. It pains you to see another product challenge your system's eliteness. This is understandable.. but foolish. Here is how I figured out your apparent bias towards all things Opteron.

Now I'm running dual Opteron 250's on a Supermicro H8DCE that I put together last year, 4GB RAM, EVGA 7900GT KO, RAID0 for the OS, a 200GB scratch drive, and 3-320GB in RAID5 via a 3ware controller. Can't see myself going back to single proc machine...
I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to this quad core thing as there are basically zero applications that gamers or enthusiasts use to justify owning a quad core, and multitasking is a moot arguement here...it's also doubful that intel's quad core will displace the opteron in the server market, solely due to being a quad core...
Meh, core2 is impressive but not compelling enough for me to swap out dual opty's, an SLI capable mobo, a 7900GT, 4GB of RAM, and a 3Ware RAID controller on a 133MHz PCI-X slot...

That's right... it would seem you're quite the AMD fan.. I could of course post more of your posts. But it's quite clear that it pains you to know that the Opteron is not the best Workstation configuration anymore. Only in 8-way designs does it regain some advantages.

You need not worry, I'm quite certain AMD will rectify this with there K8L version of the Opteron. Until then, stomach it will ya!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

No, a rational thinking human being would take the article for what it's worth. It shows that despite being totally outgunned the Core 2 is still able to shine. That's what the article shows. The configurations used (the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron running x64 which gives it a performance increase in rendering vs. a Core 2 Extreme X6800 using a 32bit O/S).

You wish the results to be deemed invalid because they cast a bad light on your precious Opteron. Well, it's either this or they do up a test with a 2-Way Opteron running a 32bit O/S and a 2-Way Woodcrest also running a 32bit O/S and see the Opteron get an even larger beating (losing in every test).

Up to you really.. either way the results won't move your way..:p

Fanboi's.. seriously..

You're really not making any sense. Then what's wrong with someone using these tests to formulate there own conclusions if it's more then giving the 2-Way Dual Core Opteron a fair chance?

Seriously.. you're lacking logic my friend. You ARE a rabid fanboi, I could go around pasting some of the posts you've made. When independent tests show product A outperforming product B then those claiming that Product A is better are not fanboi's.. but stating the FACTS.. those still claiming Product B to be better are fanboi's.

So I'm not a fanboi.. ;) You sir are the fanboi.. now that's logic young grasshopper... lol!!!

Now as I drive the last nail into your coffin I pretty much have figured out why this test hurts you dear. You're a Dual Opteron 250 Owner. It pains you to see another product challenge your system's eliteness. This is understandable.. but foolish. Here is how I figured out your apparent bias towards all things Opteron.

Now I'm running dual Opteron 250's on a Supermicro H8DCE that I put together last year, 4GB RAM, EVGA 7900GT KO, RAID0 for the OS, a 200GB scratch drive, and 3-320GB in RAID5 via a 3ware controller. Can't see myself going back to single proc machine...
I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to this quad core thing as there are basically zero applications that gamers or enthusiasts use to justify owning a quad core, and multitasking is a moot arguement here...it's also doubful that intel's quad core will displace the opteron in the server market, solely due to being a quad core...
Meh, core2 is impressive but not compelling enough for me to swap out dual opty's, an SLI capable mobo, a 7900GT, 4GB of RAM, and a 3Ware RAID controller on a 133MHz PCI-X slot...

That's right... it would seem you're quite the AMD fan.. I could of course post more of your posts. But it's quite clear that it pains you to know that the Opteron is not the best Workstation configuration anymore. Only in 8-way designs does it regain some advantages.

You need not worry, I'm quite certain AMD will rectify this with there K8L version of the Opteron. Until then, stomach it will ya!

http://chunkymonster.justgotowned.com

TRENDING THREADS