AMD Talks Steamroller: 15% Improvement Over Piledriver

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]15% improvement means that AMD will actually be further behind Intel in performance, by the time this comes out. It's not like Intel CPUs will remain only as good as they are today. They will also improve by at least 15%! And 15% on a smaller performance number (AMD) is not as much an improvement as 15% on a higher performance number (Intel), if you get what I mean. Hence, AMD will actually be further behind than it is today... I miss the days when new generation CPU's would be 50% or more faster than previous generations. AMD needs to pull off that kind of improvement to get close to Intel again. I really hope it eventually does, before going out of business...[/citation]

Really is that what you call Ivybridge, some people are kind to say it was a 5% improvement over sandy, in most instances its barely 1% faster. Same old question Intel focusing on power consumption and single threaded performance.....AMD focusing on heterogeneous computing and cloud computing, which is where the computing market is moving towards.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]sarinaide[/nom]Really is that what you call Ivybridge, some people are kind to say it was a 5% improvement over sandy, in most instances its barely 1% faster. Same old question Intel focusing on power consumption and single threaded performance.....AMD focusing on heterogeneous computing and cloud computing, which is where the computing market is moving towards.[/citation]
Well, I was not specifically talking about Intel's improvements in it's absolute latest generation CPU. But rather, in it's average performance gains since it recaptured the performance crown from AMD with it's first Core CPU, and thereafter with Core 2 Duo and "Core i" (after all, Intel's future performance is an assumption/guesstimate on my part. It may not improve for a while or ever, although that is extremely unlikely based on their track record).. But even if you want to nitpick about Ivy Bridge, it also delivered comparable performance to Sandy Bridge while lowering TDP by about 15%. Hence, matching the same gains AMD is hoping to achieve as described in this article, "15% improvement in performance per watt".

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I wish they would give up this naming scheme and just call their next CPU and last "Rolling Pin" whats next? Cement mixer? Woodcutter? Chainsaw? regardless just based off the tdp and the increase in performance ill say its definitely a Cleveland steamer.

[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]Well, I was not specifically talking about Intel's improvements in it's absolute latest generation CPU. But rather, in it's average performance gains since it recaptured the performance crown from AMD with it's first Core CPU, and thereafter with Core 2 Duo and "Core i" (after all, Intel's future performance is an assumption/guesstimate on my part. It may not improve for a while or ever, although that is extremely unlikely based on their track record).. But even if you want to nitpick about Ivy Bridge, it also delivered comparable performance to Sandy Bridge while lowering TDP by about 15%. Hence, matching the same gains AMD is hoping to achieve as described in this article, "15% improvement in performance per watt".[/citation]

I know what you are getting at. On the same token AMD are making gains perf/watt on each architecture, its still difficult to say that if A increases by 5% then B does the same, each arch or process is different and performance will improve in other areas, considering AMD are no longer going purely for single thread performance it is unlikely to be faster than Intel but in many other areas it may make up that shortfall. SteamRoller represents and new architecture but Piledriver is a refined Zambezi architecture that has shown promise while also running higher clocks at lower power.

[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]I wish they would give up this naming scheme and just call their next CPU and last "Rolling Pin" whats next? Cement mixer? Woodcutter? Chainsaw? regardless just based off the tdp and the increase in performance ill say its definitely a Cleveland steamer.[/citation]

At this rate their next architecture will be called Grave Digger

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]At this rate their next architecture will be called Grave Digger[/citation]

It should be Dump Truck or Jack Hammer xD

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I love how people seem to misinterpret a performance increase with a total reality disconnect to what actually goes on in 90% of real world computing.

"Oh man 15% just isn't enough to keep up!" What keep up with another brands CPU? So what? It will still do everything and more than most users will ever need. Put two similar $1000 gaming rigs from AMD and Intel side by side and I bet you couldn't tell the difference.

The real main factor going forward is PRICE. AMD needs to get its pricing right and also to start marketing it products for better brand awareness to the general computer public.

Back in 2005 AMD were the fastest, but it still didn't help them as no one outside the enthusiast sites gave a damn or knew who they were. That's why folks were still buying crappy 3GHz single core Pentium 4s by the truck load.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I honestly hope that 15% is really come out from IPC alone. Not a 15% that come out from a higher clock rates + 22nm process improvement, because Intel is moving at least another 10% IPC improvement over the Ivy bridge on Haswell next year. If Haswell being 95w TDP, there is a likehood they might come with a stock clock 3.8-4GHz, to make up the IPC disadvantage AMD need to clock their CPU at least 5GHz on stock to be on par with Intel. Their module base extra cores isnt working on consumer application. It took common software long enough to adopt 4 threads, it will took even longer for 8 thread let alone optimize for AMD "Special" Not-Full 8 core CPUs.

Dagles, you should know better that common sense will not prevail....the market is Intel and Nvidia myopic so nothing AMD does will ever be seen in good light, the shock and horror will come for said people shortly.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]sarinaide[/nom]Dagles, you should know better that common sense will not prevail....the market is Intel and Nvidia myopic so nothing AMD does will ever be seen in good light, the shock and horror will come for said people shortly.[/citation]

I know, I love my tech and my tech forums but the very narrow minded almost tunnel vision view of the technology world some folks here have, does sadden me.

Jesus f*cking chr!st on a pogo stick, the blue face painted ones have descended upon this thread with a vengeance.

Lets just play nice here guys and stop the incessant fanboyism (on both sides). Everyone got so into fighting each other that they missed one of the key pieces of information from that slide, individual instruction schedulers for each "core". One of the current bottlenecks on BD's design is that the front end instruction schedulers can not keep the individual "cores" busy, same with the L2 cache choking out. This is why you get a performance increase in single threaded tasks by disabling the other core inside each module. It looks like AMD has recognized this as a problem area and is seeking to fix it.

[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Jesus f*cking chr!st on a pogo stick, the blue face painted ones have descended upon this thread with a vengeance.Lets just play nice here guys and stop the incessant fanboyism (on both sides). Everyone got so into fighting each other that they missed one of the key pieces of information from that slide, individual instruction schedulers for each "core". One of the current bottlenecks on BD's design is that the front end instruction schedulers can not keep the individual "cores" busy, same with the L2 cache choking out. This is why you get a performance increase in single threaded tasks by disabling the other core inside each module. It looks like AMD has recognized this as a problem area and is seeking to fix it.[/citation]

I noticed it, its the major improvement over Bulldozer and Piledriver.

[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]Overclocking absolutely does introduce instability. It takes the processor outside of the specification and outside of the testing parameters performed by the manufacturer. Taking it outside of the specification introduces additional strain on connected components. Many errors that may occur due to overclocking might not even be noticed because they're corrected automatically.To make matters worse, the VID that is programmed into the processor at manufacturing time leaves enough voltage headroom to guarantee stability for the duration of the warranty and ideally a long time after. Most overclocking guides have the user find the lowest voltage which is stable for a narrow range of tests. Over time this voltage will become insufficient and at that point it's not a matter of whether or not an error will occur but when. Stability can usually be restored by simply bumping the voltage up but this is a constant game of cat and mouse.Overclocking is also a complete no-go area for enterprise and business computing which is where Bulldozer is supposed to excel. Opteron's are barely used at all outside of large supercomputers. Right now Intel has a larger share in the server and workstation market than they do in the desktop market.They could tell if you overclocked the CPU if they really wanted to. Comparing an output frequency from a PLL against a reference frequency burned into the CPU at manufacturing would be a trivial component to design. Committing warranty fraud is frowned upon.You're right, it is held back by extremely poor design implementation. If it was so easy to implement properly then why wasn't it implemented properly in the first place?The execution resources aren't shared between the clusters in each module. Each module has its own front end and back end. If one cluster is disabled, those resources are not made available to the other cluster in the module. The only parts that are shared between the clusters in the module are the L2 cache, L1 instruction cache, and a pair of gimped FPUs. Bulldozer's CMT implementation is not the same as Intel's SMT implementation. With one SMT thread disabled, the entire core's execution resources can still be used because only the front-end is duplicated. With a CMT cluster disabled, the backend resources dedicated to the disabled cluster are lost as well.The thermal conductivity of the oxides used in the insulator layer is extremely low. In microprocessors the current flows almost entirely across the surface of the chip so it's in very close proximity to the highly conductive IHS. This is one of the primary reasons why chips are 2 dimensional, current semiconductor technology does not allow for stacked semiconductors to be cooled properly.Disabling half the cores may significantly reduce heat dissipation but it will only eliminate some of the heat generating components. The rest will still generate heat and this heat will be spread to the IHS where it can dissipate more effectively.Phenom was supposed to beat the QX9650 into the ground. The X4 9600 got demolished by a Q6600. Phenom II's flagship 980 was supposed to beat Sandybridge but could barely keep up with midrange Nehalem processors. Bulldozer can barely keep up with Phenom II in some applications. I'm starting to see a pattern here.I'm not sure how you can say that "Bulldozer can be worked to compete with Ivy Bridge exceptionally well" when there's a load of benchmarks, both synthetic and real world, showing otherwise. Piledriver is a nice improvement but it's what Bulldozer should have been released as. AMD needs to continuously deliver on gains that are larger than Intel's. If they do not, the gap will continue to widen.[/citation]

No, it doesn't. A CPU, even at stock, can be no less stable than one that has a proper overclock. It's only increasing instability if done improperly.

I've already explained how Bulldozer can be used to be highly competitive with Intel's current CPUs. You're obviously not blind because you have replied to me. I don
t care what benchmarks of Bulldozer in different context show. That's like caring how Radeon 7000 cards perform with their original driver despite there now being Catalyst 12.7 and 12.8 out which show great improvements, but the Bulldozer improvements with the methods that I've described are even higher.

I never said that the execution resources are shared. Those are what I'm saying to disable. Have you read anything that I've said? The front end is shared and that is where a big part of the performance boost is coming from.

I'll reiterate. Bulldozer FX-8120 or 8150. Disable one core per module. Average performance per Hz increase is likely to be between 25% and 35%. I get this from benchmarks that show mere thread scheduling improvements where a benchmark was told to only run on one core per module and increased performance by 10-20% (usually closer to 20%) despite having a frequency disadvantage and being mere thread-scheduling rather than complete disabling. Overclock the CPU/NB frequency. This increases the L3 cache frequency and that's a big part of a CPU's performance.

Just bringing it to the CPU frequency means that you now have a full-speed cache like Intel does. Now, you're competitive with Sandy and Ivy Bridge in stock CPU performance with the more expensive i5s and you haven't even increased the CPU frequency. There is enough headroom for overclocking to stay competitive even when overclocked to the max. Also, this is an architecture that is designed for high clocks. So, no, it is fine when overclocked. It is one of the most stably overclocking CPU generations ever and CPU overclocking is already not an unsafe thing to do when you know how to do it. Instability and other such problems are caused by making mistakes that no enthusiast should make such as pushing the frequency too far for the voltage and pushing the voltage too far.

Like it or not, AMD is more competitive than most people seem to think that they are. They don't win in power consumption, but they do pretty well there too when this is done.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]+1 Overclocker are minority in the CPU market. Casual user are not going to buy a product only to go back home to mess with BIOS settings reading online guides about how to tweak their hardwares. There is a whole reason why Intel choose not to bother the TIM applied on Ivy bridge, because Ivy bridge working within the stock spec are working better use less power. It is all that Intel wanted. Offering only 2 models "K" Ivy series is just there as a "Toy" product for the minority overclockers just to keep them happy. Comparing an OCed AMD to Intel Stock is just absurd. Intel CPU can OC too. A OCed 4.5-5GHz "K" SB/Ivy are beating Bulldozer into the ground. AMD does not beat Intel in general applications on stock settings, face the reality. people need to wake up from their illusion.[/citation]

How minor overclocking is doesn't matter because we at this site are mostly enthusiasts who are more than willing to do it. I do it, so overclocking, no matter how irrelevant to other people, is relevant to me and other people whom overclock. It's nearly free performance, so why shouldn't I? Just because some people don't understand it very well doesn't mean that I should partake in that misunderstanding. Also, Ivy was given paste so that it wouldn't make SB-E nearly irrelevant when overclocked, not because overclocking is rare. Intel made the mistake of letting their $1K CPUs being overshadowed by their $200-350 CPUs once and they didn't want to do it again.

I wasn't comparing OC AMD to stock Intel except where Intel couldn't overclock, so you're absurd. I was saying that AMD can compete with Intel even when both are overclocked to the max if you use the AMD CPU properly. The FX-81xx CPUs can compete with the K edition i5s in overclocking (not quite performance per Hz, but pretty darned close) when you know how to use them. I've even described how its done.

The K editions aren't toys. They are ways to get a lot more performance for the money. Would you prefer Intel have CPUs that have stock frequencies that high, but prices that are extending upwards to the LGA 2011 series? That would be the only way to get such performance without overclocking and I see no reason to spend so much money on a CPU when I know how to work with cheaper models to get them performing where I want them to.

I don't care that AMD loses at stock settings. It doesn't matter at all to me because I don't use stock. Having said what I've said, using stock settings on an AMD CPU is now obviously next to idiotic without a damn good reason for it and your instability concerns are wrong, so they don't count at all.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Would be good if Piledriver never went to market, not because is a bad product, but because AMD needs Steamroller performance gains now.
As we have seen in benchmarks, the 15% promised performance increase in Piledriver was real, so we have to be confident in Steamroller's performance gains as stated by AMD. That performance improvement should close the performance gap with Intel's CPUs.
So the main problem is when... I think it would be ideal that AMD released Steamroller in Q1 2013... but that it is impossible given the market situation for AMD (seems ironic that when everybody is talking about lack of fabs availability, AMD is making/ordering CPUa just to put it them in stock while selling old designs chips... just go ahead to Steamroller).
If it can deliver the chips by Q3-2013, Intel could be 5% ahead (assuming that performance gain for next gen intel chips...). But as AMD stated, the 15% improvement for AMD comes from DESIGN (this is important, as should help for a faster chip development), not manufacturing improvements, so moving to another node (22nm, 28nm...) could drive to that 5% improvement, putting AMD chips on par with Intel offerings again.
If AMD is unable to get the chips out before 2014, or Intel makes a big improvement, AMD will be left behind (and sounds to me that would mean AMD's end...)
Seems the article is more important to investors, and tells them they should see sunrise in a year or so...

There is all kinds of stuff wrong with this.

AMD is at the mid-point of unified memory and cache between the APU CPU/GPU cores with the HSA arch, that's why. And ...

CPUs are silicon wafer sandwiches. They ain't *2D* The advantages of SOI are much fewer layers per silicon sandwich. Less layers per sandwich equals fewer masks per CPU, and a more efficient manufacturing process.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What I read from this is that some of the design flaws in BD that made them ill-suited for most purposes are being addressed. We saw from the original THG BD benchmark tests that BD did exceedingly well in a very few specific test cases (primarily multi-threaded integer processing with predictable pipelines), and did poorly whenever:
- FP math was involved
- conditional branching was involved
- RAM or L3 cache access was involved

AMD is trying to directly address those deficiencies in this iteration. What this means to me is that the next generation of chips out of AMD might finally be competitive again for the $500 SBM because IPC and frequency will be sufficient for single- and dual-threaded games and apps to perform reasonably well. In those scarce few tests that saw BD outperform Intel's comparable chips, we won't see much improvement because apps that tend to keep the pipeline full and have limited branching won't benefit from cache miss, branch prediction and instruction latency improvements.

(edited to correct a poorly written sentence)

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]No, it doesn't. A CPU, even at stock, can be no less stable than one that has a proper overclock. It's only increasing instability if done improperly.I've already explained how Bulldozer can be used to be highly competitive with Intel's current CPUs. You're obviously not blind because you have replied to me. I dont care what benchmarks of Bulldozer in different context show. That's like caring how Radeon 7000 cards perform with their original driver despite there now being Catalyst 12.7 and 12.8 out which show great improvements, but the Bulldozer improvements with the methods that I've described are even higher.I never said that the execution resources are shared. Those are what I'm saying to disable. Have you read anything that I've said? The front end is shared and that is where a big part of the performance boost is coming from.I'll reiterate. Bulldozer FX-8120 or 8150. Disable one core per module. Average performance per Hz increase is likely to be between 25% and 35%. I get this from benchmarks that show mere thread scheduling improvements where a benchmark was told to only run on one core per module and increased performance by 10-20% (usually closer to 20%) despite having a frequency disadvantage and being mere thread-scheduling rather than complete disabling. Overclock the CPU/NB frequency. This increases the L3 cache frequency and that's a big part of a CPU's performance.Just bringing it to the CPU frequency means that you now have a full-speed cache like Intel does. Now, you're competitive with Sandy and Ivy Bridge in stock CPU performance with the more expensive i5s and you haven't even increased the CPU frequency. There is enough headroom for overclocking to stay competitive even when overclocked to the max. Also, this is an architecture that is designed for high clocks. So, no, it is fine when overclocked. It is one of the most stably overclocking CPU generations ever and CPU overclocking is already not an unsafe thing to do when you know how to do it. Instability and other such problems are caused by making mistakes that no enthusiast should make such as pushing the frequency too far for the voltage and pushing the voltage too far.Like it or not, AMD is more competitive than most people seem to think that they are. They don't win in power consumption, but they do pretty well there too when this is done.[/citation]

Yes I read everything that you wrote. It was poorly written and incorrect. It was wrong then and it is wrong now. Sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating yourself like a child in a schoolyard shouting match will not remedy that.

When you have an engineering degree and get your knowledge from some place other than news releases you'll be able to make more intelligent arguments.

[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]There is all kinds of stuff wrong with this.AMD is at the mid-point of unified memory and cache between the APU CPU/GPU cores with the HSA arch, that's why. And ...CPUs are silicon wafer sandwiches. They ain't *2D* The advantages of SOI are much fewer layers per silicon sandwich. Less layers per sandwich equals fewer masks per CPU, and a more efficient manufacturing process.[/citation]

SOI has nothing to do with how the semiconductors are positioned. It's purely a mechanism to better isolate the source from the drain and the entire MOSFET assembly from the bulk substrate. In fact you could take a SOI wafer and drop it in place of a standard silicon substrate without having to make significant modifications to the process. All transistors in an IC are coplanar and it has been that way for over 50 years

[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]Yes I read everything that you wrote. It was poorly written and incorrect. It was wrong then and it is wrong now. Sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating yourself like a child in a schoolyard shouting match will not remedy that.When you have an engineering degree and get your knowledge from some place other than news releases you'll be able to make more intelligent arguments.SOI has nothing to do with how the semiconductors are positioned. It's purely a mechanism to better isolate the source from the drain and the entire MOSFET assembly from the bulk substrate. In fact you could take a SOI wafer and drop it in place of a standard silicon substrate without having to make significant modifications to the process. All transistors in an IC are coplanar and it has been that way for over 50 years[/citation]

Intel's 22nm process is 3D according to Intel and I'm not wrong about what I'm saying. I can disable one core per module to get a substantial boost in performance per remaining core per Hz and overclocking the L3 cache gives some more performance per core per Hz of the CPU's frequency. I'm not getting knowledge from mere news releases. I'm getting it from both people who have tested this and from reputable sites.

You can't honestly tell me that everyone is wrong about disabling on core per module helping the remaining module due to that one core having the rest of the module's front end all to itself rather than sharing it. Considering that Bulldozer's front end has some similarities to Intel's Sandy Bridge front end, it's no surprise than disabling one core per module and giving it a full-speed L3 cache gives it quite the improvement. Sure, they're not identical and they don't have identical performance, but it's still a huge improvement for AMD. AMD can then hit higher frequencies to make up for the still slightly lower performance per Hz.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Building on the SBM potential, it would be pretty interesting to see a $500 SBM that uses hybrid APU/GPU CF if these IPC enhancements pay off enough. The power efficiency on such a build could very well be incredible, and the gaming performance could still be very strong. I suppose it depends on what level AMD GPU is paired with the APU and whether or not there's enough benefit - if any - for that to even matter.

hannibal

Distinguished
From the article it seems to be that they are correcting the right things in steamroller compared to piledriver and bulldoser. Hopefully the production technology does not hamper this... This is promising, and no it does not mean that MD can compete Intel in the CPU crown not even near, but these are still big improvements and as it has been said above. The improvement are correcting remaining weaknesses in the current architecture so they are very economical way of improving effiency and overall speed.

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
even if it was a 30% improvemnt its STILL not even CLOSE to enough to compete with Intel. My 1st Gen i7 is better than anything they have on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS