AMD Teases Vega Architecture: More Than 200+ New Features, Ready First Half Of 2017

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

You should read more carefully,

I was saying that the industry is selling hardware for resolutions greater than 1080P because they are. everyone WANTS to move on to higher resolution gaming. Many HAVE NOT moved on yet, but that is the market in which companies are selling hardware too.

Why would a company attempt selling something the MAJORITY ALREADY HAVE. They are selling new hardware to the crowds and people who are looking to move up to higher res hardware. Last gen hardware going back 5 or so years is plenty sufficient for 1080P...

I went ahead and upper cases all my primary points to help you understand and read what I am saying a bit more clearly. New hardware in this industry is focused on upcoming technologies and hardware. Let me know if you still need help in understanding how this industry works. You could also spend your own time and do your own research on how business works.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Everyone may want to game at 4K, that doesn't mean everyone is going to be gaming at 4K anytime soon. Rather than talking about what people would like to do in some hypothetical reality where budget is not a concern, I decided to try and see what people are actually doing. You conveniently skipped what I said about how the survey results suggest that the number of people moving up to 1080p is higher than the number of people moving up to 1440p/4K. Nevermind the large group of people still at 768p. We're years away from 4K attaining that level of adoption.

And who said the majority already is already at 1080p gaming? As it stands now, although 1080p may be the most common monitor type (not the majority mind you), looking at the most common GPUs, most people can't actually game at 1080p/60fps high settings. And no, "last gen hardware going back 5 or so years" is not "plenty sufficient for 1080P", not unless you bought an expensive flagship card (which relatively few people do) and/or play at lower settings. So the 1080p demographic is both the largest and fastest growing group, and you have a host of people with GPUs that aren't capable of playing modern games at 1080p/60fps and high settings. Seems like a pretty good target market to me.

But I'm not a seasoned industry veteran like you, so what do I know right? /s

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

You are correct in you last sarcastic assumption. You are way too focused on some stats that are given to you by Steam, and far less focused on what the industry is doing. Did you follow anything during CES? Or any tech news in the last year or so? Show me where 1080P is being pushed as what the industry wants to sell people. Sure, it takes time for people to adopt tech for a number of reasons, primarily due to budget. 1080P to the industry is the expected base standard, not what they are selling expect for the low end cards. Low end GPUs have always been the best selling cards, at the lowest profit margin. AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all make their money from the high end.

I made half a million $ last year knowing and watching the industry. That was all driven by people buying into new tech from AMD and Nvidia. I live in this industry and work for a major undisclosed tech company and am very much involved with whats going on.

Your steam stats include everyone, from all countries, on all platforms. It is expected to see plenty of older hardware and tech on there as that stuff is everywhere. However, tech companies are not trying to sell that stuff today. They are selling the future now, and many people on the Steam HW surveys are sitting on ancient machines that have not been updated in years if not a decade +.

All your steam HW survey tells you is what people already have. Not where the industry is going, and what AMD and Nvidia are selling new today. However, my original point stands. I simply stated that budget aside people WANT 1440P and 4K and they WANT the big powerful cards. They are drooled over and sought after as a target goal for just about every single gamer alive, and AMD and Nvidia are gunning to sell that to them. 1080P is old hat, and the industry is moving away from 1080P. Whether you believe me or not based on your Steam Survey is not my problem. My success and understanding of the market has done plenty good for me, and the numbers speak for themselves.

Perhaps you should get into the 1080P gaming systems business if you think it is so hot and so relevant today...

Status
Not open for further replies.