AMD Tells Girls How to Attract a Geeky Boyfriend

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Knowledge of geeky things has never been a prerequisite of women for me. I've never once looked at a cute girl and asked myself "Gee, I wonder if she likes ATI videocards." or "Gosh, I hope she's into Starcraft"

For me, a nice personality and a good sense of humor matter much more than her knowledge of techie things.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
HAHA....what this article does not note is that girls that like geeks are not HOT. Yes there are a few exceptions, but 9 times out of ten, if the girl is a gamer......she is a cookie monster.

G

I've never once looked at a cute girl and asked myself "Gee, I wonder if she likes ATI videocards." or "Gosh, I hope she's into Starcraft"

I have...

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]hokkdawg[/nom]My woman plays WoW and LotRO with me. I put a ring on that as soon as I possibly could.[/citation]

Better stop wasting DKP on all those cheap ranger drops then. XD

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
do not date a girl into facebook,apple,intel,or use google search as a search page, or into nvidia, they will dump you for a guy doing the same as her. were geeks go for a girl that knows!

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I honestly don't think a geeky guy is looking for a geeky girl or girl who gives a $hit about ATI or Nvidia. I'm not going to open up at the club with AMD or Intel, generally, it's let's do a shot! MOre to the point a geeky guy will be happy that a woman is taking notice at all.

JamesDodds

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
My girlfriend, beside me, liked this article, and the comments. Sadly, she beasted me at Call of Duty (the first time she played)..... -I totally let her win.....

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]aquila[/nom]How about like a certain witty technophile/gamer girl who does journalism for a living for an online tech media company? And she's totally cute too! Jokes aside (or am I?)[/citation]

Forget GameStop, apparently all you have to do is hang out in the comments section of TH/TG to find yourself the geek of your dreams...

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Basically it sounds like, similar to MANY "dating advice" articles, this one makes the mistake of telling people they should be someone they aren't in order to have a relationship.

I absolutely abhore dishonesty in character. I hate it with a passion. But the only thing I hate more than that is when people lie and say they really are interested even when you have explicitly stated you want the truth. If there is one thing that will always turn me off it is dishonesty of character. Be who you are, not who you think we want you to be. If you aren't interested in the things we show you or the things we are interested in, the very worst thing you could do in my opinion is lie about it.

And don't think you can fool us. A five year old can learn the controls of Halo and get moderately good at it with enough interest. Facial expressions and body language are dead givaways that you aren't interested.

However, there is one caveat to the above declaration. If we get on a tangent and very excited about something and just want to talk about it, polite interest is acceptable and even welcome. It doesn't matter that you don't care as long as you don't interupt. That's supportive, not fake in my opinion.

KCK

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I wonder if those pants are available in a RRoD-version too..you know for those special weeks.. :p

But that article is really odd..
Why would a girl want to change herself that much just to get a geek? If she's pretty or nice she could have anybody while being herself.

That just can't be real or I must have missed the change from loser to super hot guy with huge gamerscore. xD

The only important thing is that she recognizes geeky stuff as a hobby that's fun and doesn't look down on it. Some people like dancing, others like to get smashed (yeah THAT is so cool) and others like to watch Star Trek while compiling the new linux kernel, because 2.6.35.5 is going to be so much better than 2.6.35.4..totally!

But lets face it we're already outdated..next year girls will dig guys that have x followers or had a retweet by Johnny Depp or something like that.

A geek knows how to use google and can therefore get anything by himself. The only thing that he rarely gets (read understands) is a girl, even if she is sending very obvious signals. A girl just needs to be really blunt and can't expect that he will get those clues by himself..the rest is physical attraction and some lovin'.. ;)

I just can't see how it could be hard to date a geek (maybe even virgin). The only way it could fail if they really treat them like regular guys and expect them to make the first step.

and acceptable level of intelligence are all that's needed (not necessarily including a technological affinity.)
This couldn't be more true, some girls think they're the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality they're so shallow&mindless. Whenever I hear something about a 'IT-girl' on the news (and can't avoid it) I just want to bang my head against the wall, because they think their tiny problems seem to be the end of the world.

Oh btw, if you really want a geek just go to Comic-Con dressed as Princess Leia in her famous bikini..that's like catching flies with honey. XD

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Not really interested in a crazy geeky girlfriend (and even if they exist they're rarely attractive), but it is a turn off if a girl doesn't know how to do anything more with a computer than turn it on and off and start IE to check facebook.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
What's really sad is that I know a guy, he's not really a geek, but is into gaming (consoles, *sigh*), and his girlfriend is a good friend of mine, and she actually WANTS to play with him, and he doesn't let her. She's actually tried sitting in his lap while he plays Modern Warfare 2 and it only gets him pissed off.

Sad...

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
lol, this article opened my eyes. i always thought i had to try hard to find a girl but then i remembered it takes two to tango. I agree both should find something there interested in and not lie about themselves just to get hitched.
also to all those ppl who say 'girl gamers are like cookie monsters' or 'holy-cow-kill-it-with-fire', i say look for qualities beside physical ones in others.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Most geeks don’t wear pants. They wear jeans or shorts.
thats right, i wear cargo shorts because they have plenty of pockets for all my gadget needs. smartphone, wallet (with certification cards such as CCNA), keyring with 2 flashdrives (1 with truecript to decrypt the 2nd), headphones, smartphone charger if i will be out for awhile, and the possible digital camera.

mmseng

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
This is me agreeing with everyone who says "A true geek doesn't want you to change yourself for him." Part of the very definition of a "geek" is one who accepts and embraces his beliefs and interests, without caring what the world thinks. If you care enough about what other people think of you to the point where it changes your behavior then you are not a geek and never will be until this changes. This applies to either gender. Therefore there is no way to change yourself to be more geeky, at least, certainly not for the purpose of impressing/attracting someone's attention. If you are a geek you will know it. Trust us.

Don't get me wrong girls, you will still get plenty of attention if you want it. But you will not get a meaningful relationship without genuine interest and transparency.

tl;dr: Geeks are intelligent. They will know when you are posing. So don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.