AMD to Build 153,000sqft Data Center in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

popatim

Titan
Why would they need a Datacenter is what I'm wondering? And why put it half way around the world from their business? And Why America instead of so lesser developed country where things would be even cheaper?

Somethings up...

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
at least we know AMD is still alive. the rumor mill has been on fire with AMD lagging on BD and all of the execs. jumping ship

[citation][nom]popatim[/nom]Why would they need a Datacenter is what I'm wondering? And why put it half way around the world from their business? And Why America instead of so lesser developed country where things would be even cheaper?Somethings up...[/citation]
heard of cloud computing?...

G

I wonder if they are going to be using Intel processors to get the best performance?

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
BullDozer is ontime. but it was set so far in advance. Only rumors set it for last year, then before christmas, then Jan. It is also a great way to show off their processor performance.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When AMD gets any new chips to market let me know. I could careless about APUs...I want to see a NEW AMD CPU against well anything from intel's new line. 3rd party benchmarks too please..not that commercial we saw for their APU a few days ago.[/citation]

Sorry thats the way to increase computer speed is with APUs. Graphics cores are much faster at decoding one type of data where as CPU can do anything. and that video was rather good. Most of the stuff was graphics based and not CPU based, and anyone knows that AMD has much better graphics than Intel. But Intel has higher end CPUs.

G

@popatim: "And Why America instead of so lesser developed country where things would be even cheaper?"

Have you ever been to Georgia? All the "pro-business" quasi-fascist corporate knob-slobbering you get in the Third World - but with IP protection, electricity and network uplinks that work...

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Glad to see AMD expanding. On another note, I feel I've been seeing more of these advertisements for clothes websites in the comments section.....

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
When AMD gets any new chips to market let me know. I could careless about APUs...
AMD's new zacate APU is doing quite well actually. The new eMachines D644 laptop that was released late January is selling like pancakes here in Manila. I already had the pleasure setting up 5 of those and I'm surprised at what it can do at that price point.

Anyway, it's good to hear AMD investing :)

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ThE_BrutE[/nom] ...and anyone knows that AMD has much better graphics than Intel. But Intel has higher end CPUs.[/citation]

Almost as if Intel procs should be paired with ATI cards... like many of us did for years before AMD screwed them all up! At least their graphics are back up to par, but it is still odd to me how everyone was pairing intel/ATI and AMD/nVidia, and now the whole ball of wax seems backwards.

jattitude84

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Good move amd....but please bring BD as early as possible before the cougar point problem of sandybridge fades away....in q3 sandybridge 8 cores are coming....how will BD compete with them

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]popatim[/nom]Why would they need a Datacenter is what I'm wondering? And why put it half way around the world from their business? And Why America instead of so lesser developed country where things would be even cheaper?Somethings up...[/citation]
they are working with uncle SAM to spy on other nations...this is the new thing to do these days :(

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]jattitude84[/nom]Good move amd....but please bring BD as early as possible before the cougar point problem of sandybridge fades away....in q3 sandybridge 8 cores are coming....how will BD compete with them[/citation]
I agree. AMD needs to release BD or Intel is just going to get farther and farther ahead....

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I had the chance the other day to have a small conversation with an engineer from AMD. Specifically, he is currently working on 18nm, of which they just got back the first working parts (proof that AMD can move forward with developing full processors).

Now for the important part. Of course the first thing I asked him was when Bulldozer was coming. He told me that right now, partners like Dell, HP, etc, all have the entire line-up of ALL Bulldozer processors. This includes the full range of enthusiast processors (what were waiting for) all the way up to the full spectrum of server processors.

He didn't give me a specific release day, but he said that AMD is shipping all processors, and that the fabs are at full production. The words from him I liked the most: "Bulldozer could be any day now".

Not sure if it is true, but I'm really hoping its soon.

f-14

Distinguished
read about something in a news paper when i was in atlanta last year-an obama business kick back /stimulus from the economy/too big to fail bail out plan, and a sweet tax break from georgia, not to mention labor down there works for peanuts compared to the east west and north, but it's just another reason why AMD is 4 years behind. it will be even slower now with georgia's turtle speed work force but i doubt a data center affects cpu design and production. possibly a server render farm for movie makers using amd video cards?

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

I call BS on this "engineer's" story. Something doesn't seem right, if they are trying to make a new standard with 28nm GPU's, I doubt they have the technology to output a 18nm cpu.

Also, sidenote; are BD CPU's supposed to be AM3 socket? or a different mobo standard?

Why not Georgia.
We have 7 out of the top 10 buisnesses in the US are based here.
Weather in the northern half of the state is mild with 4 distinct seasons. None of which are severe.
Our labor pool is top notch. From the day laborer to the best medical doctors in the world.
Shipping infrastructure is top notch. Air, Rail, and Sea.
As Foxworthy said. "People hear my southern accent and automatically want to deduct 100 IQ points."

jattitude84

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

what r u talking about??go check out global foundries roadmap..20nm will be comin to market in 2013 but theirs no mention about 18nm anywhere.they are going to 14nm from 20nm in 2015

jattitude84

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

i_am_aronman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]read about something in a news paper when i was in atlanta last year-an obama business kick back /stimulus from the economy/too big to fail bail out plan, and a sweet tax break from georgia, not to mention labor down there works for peanuts compared to the east west and north, but it's just another reason why AMD is 4 years behind. it will be even slower now with georgia's turtle speed work force but i doubt a data center affects cpu design and production. possibly a server render farm for movie makers using amd video cards?[/citation]
The reason why the work force is so slow is because of the cheap labor and Georgia work laws where you can get fired without the employer giving reason. So an employee will complain or just because he gets a raise he will get fired so they will hire a new employee that will work cheaper.
i see it all the time down here with my friends working construction, i just hope AMD will keep there company policies and reasons they need to fire people to give a decent employer in Georgia, but i doubt it, But maybe i can get a job there, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.