AMD to Bump Out Nvidia for New MacBook Pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]thomaseron[/nom]If the switch occurs, it's probably 'cause AMDs cards are cooler...[/citation]
And, if the mobile AMD chips are similar to the desktop GPU chips, then less power hungry.

[citation][nom]wribbs[/nom]Apple gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage.[/citation]
So true. But if I'm being honest I don't mind hearing about Apple's latest hardware revamps. Steve Job's health and/or Apple shares? I could care less.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]thomaseron[/nom]If the switch occurs, it's probably 'cause AMDs cards are cooler...[/citation]

Get a grip on physics. Temperature has nothing to do with it - that depends entirely on how Apple choose to cool them. What you mean to say is that they produce less heat.

AMD has lower power consumption vs performance, apples are praised for their long lasting battery, so its a good move i guess. It should also sway software companies to implement hardware acceleration for AMD chips.

G

@blibba

I think what thomas meant, AMD cards are way 'cool' compared to nVidia. Not cool as in temperature.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]harihb[/nom]@blibbaI think what thomas meant, AMD cards are way 'cool' compared to nVidia. Not cool as in temperature.[/citation]

I meant a little bit of both. :)

its because everyone is Nvidia's pathetic low quality parts failing - they admitted to G84 and G86 part failures mostly in compaq's - THIS PROBLEM STILL EXISTS TODAY, IT STILL HAPPENS - mostly laptops, its to a point my workers see nvidia stickers on any laptop with problems and it more then likely is the issue (cold boot issues/reboot issues/stability issues/random/intermittent faults etc) - notice how Compaq/HP most of there units are now using ATI/AMD video rather then nvidia?

These issues happen in new units and old - its not just the G84/G86 its ever since the 7 series all the way to the latest, brand new laptops (we have seen ASUS, Samsung and more with faults) - its a joke.

DONT BUY NVIDIA

Markus has a pretty good record for predicting this sort of thing, and a question mark at the end of the sentence usually does mean just what you said.

Congratulations for stating the obvious ... you may want to consider a career in politics ... or policy.

:)

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
All I'll say is display port. I have yet to see Nvidia use display port on any of their cards.

wasn't Apple suppose to be using Llano in their new products at some point too? If so that could have something to do with it. Possible Crossfire with on board APU in the future?

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
They always go back & forth between nVidia & ATI...Seeing which one will give them the cheapest & hopefully the best quality for Apple's money...Although the later,being the best quality is not always supported...Money & the least that apple have to spend will always be their top priority...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Intel's cpu will not be enough for mobile gamers though,so the 13 inch will only be for the university type...The others though,I doubt will be of any use for gamers anyway...So if you game you will have to go to pc based mobiles instead...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]All I'll say is display port. I have yet to see Nvidia use display port on any of their cards. wasn't Apple suppose to be using Llano in their new products at some point too? If so that could have something to do with it. Possible Crossfire with on board APU in the future?[/citation]

All "current gen" (last gen in a few hours) MacBooks use Nvidia graphics and have Mini DisplayPorts.

I wonder how close Intel's HD3000 gets to Nvidia's 320m.
The 320m is extremely powerful for an integrated chip.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

lol. I see what you did there.

G

My MacBook gets so hot that I can cook my dinner on it...

I hope Apple sort this out...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
don't keven know enough abotu macs to be sure if this is a nonissue... but i need cuda on my pc because of photoshop and autocad (a quadro card) and i knwo alot of peopel i know use thier macbook pro like for photoshop primarily , again i don't know if cuda works for mac but if it does it seems this will hurt thier uses of the machine in that it will be lengthening thier rendering time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS