Question AMD to Intel

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I’m switching from a ryzen 7 3700x to an i7-12700k and I’m just wondering is their anything I should do before I do the install to make the transition go smoother. Or can I just plug my boot ssd right in and it work? Any help would be appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
I’m switching from a ryzen 7 3700x to an i7-12700k and I’m just wondering is their anything I should do before I do the install to make the transition go smoother. Or can I just plug my boot ssd right in and it work? Any help would be appreciated.
Get all your serial numbers and other software keys documented. Create full backups of everything. ASSUME you will have to do a clean OS install, because you probably will.
Try your existing SSD, but don't be surprised by no boot or blue screen.
Do a clean OS install following the sticky -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

kanewolf

Titan
So I’m really bad with this part of it, can I just back up my ssd to one drive or something before I reinstall windows? So I don’t lose everything?
You can, but the problem is you need to document what software you have installed and all the keys/serial number info BEFORE you shut down. Screen captures etc can work.
I like to screen capture the Windows Installed Programs list to help identify any software I need to install.