AMD to Launch Trinity APUs on October 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]cmcghee358[/nom]Nice. Perfect CPU for a simple office build. Couple an SSD and the layman won't even realize it's from the underdog[/citation]the problem now is in layman term, Intel Pentium is a better brand thanks to Intel marketing. AMD are seriously lacking in marketing their better APU product.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"October 2nd marks an exciting new chapter in modern processing history!"

While i ike AMD in general , i don't really buy this ... the only way i see any APU being truely revolutionary is if it actually intergrates a Top end GPU into it and preforms like the discrete counter part.. which we all know just won't freaging happen.

styrkes

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]the problem now is in layman term, Intel Pentium is a better brand thanks to Intel marketing. AMD are seriously lacking in marketing their better APU product.[/citation]

I disagree, remember all that hype by the Bulldozer? Everyone thought that was going to be the killer Intel processor. Now if only they could do that with their APU product AND make sure theirs is actually competitive, then it'll be good. If the benchmarks are good, then I'll get it.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
32 nm processing was new. In 2011. Your a year and a half late.
I know that these have graphics cards too, but it is using the 5xxx series. Would have been more impressive a year or two ago.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]styrkes[/nom]I disagree, remember all that hype by the Bulldozer? Everyone thought that was going to be the killer Intel processor. Now if only they could do that with their APU product AND make sure theirs is actually competitive, then it'll be good. If the benchmarks are good, then I'll get it.[/citation]
Bulldozer is an AMD Architecture man. And it in some cases is beaten by the Phenom 2s it was supposed to replace.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"October 2nd marks an exciting new chapter in modern processing history!"While i ike AMD in general , i don't really buy this ... the only way i see any APU being truely revolutionary is if it actually intergrates a Top end GPU into it and preforms like the discrete counter part.. which we all know just won't freaging happen.[/citation]

than you have no imagination, we are moving to gpu assist, and amd is already a leader in gpu and cpu together. it may not be the best for gameing, but it will speed crap up allot for most people to the point they dont need a low profile gpu anymore.

[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Bulldozer is an AMD Architecture man. And it in some cases is beaten by the Phenom 2s it was supposed to replace.[/citation]

and in other cases it was pulling ahead of the i7 at the time of launch.

either way, for general computer use, it was already more than most people need to have a good experience, and from what i hear, in multitasking it was better than the i5/7, granted thats hear say but it cant be 100% discredited.

--------------

that said, is this useing the phenom architecture, or bulldozer?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I heard global foundaries now feels like it will catch Intel in the die-shrink, tri-gate, etc manufacturing capabilities by 2014, too bad, AMD could have used this like year and some change ago.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
as long as it has a low tdp and cn handle high rez video then i would love to throw one in a HTPC application, imagine this on an itx board and no need for a seprate graphics card. small form factor, hopefully low power usage, throw in a small ssd for the os and a nice big hdd or two for storage and you could have a nice little machine

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]" the only way i see any APU being truely revolutionary is if it actually intergrates a Top end GPU into it and preforms like the discrete counter part.. which we all know just won't freaging happen.[/citation]

While I would like to agree with you, the previous apus (A4,A6,A8) blew away the competing low cost solutions in terms of gaming graphics but that didn't seem to help them. It seems that the main problem was that the processing power couln't compete with the core i3, i5, and i7.

I think AMDs other problem is that they totally missed the boat on mobile cpu/gpu platform. There fore when any news comes out about desktop and laptop projections declining, it becomes a direct effect on them.

The date is correct.

Charlie Demerjian doesn't get these thongs wring ... usually ... if so the zombies were responsible!!

Original Story from S|A

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/24/amd-announces-launch-date-of-2nd-gen-apus-2/

:)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
LOL... yep, Bulldozer was a big disappointment. There is a MAJOR problem when your new BS "8 core" CPU is slower than your 1+ year old 4-6core CPUs. Oh yeah, taking a page out of Netburst (Pentium 4) - what was AMD thinking?!

Trinity is an improvement, but its FM2. Steamroller sounds promising... but I and others who want/need performance just don't CARE anymore - when it comes out, it will be competing with intel's i5-4500(HASWELL). A lot of us AMDers have moved on to i5-2500/3500. I sold a lot of AMD systems, most still run today. For a typical user, no issues with AMD.

AMD totally FUBARed. FM1 is dead, FM2 is 1 pin different from FM1, even using the same A75 chipset. The A85X only offers Crossfire support (wow! Feel the synergy!) but not PCIe 3.0 support?! Socket AM3+ is a dead end with not PCIe support. Looks like AMD will have PCIe3.0 sometime in 2014~2015!? Maybe FM3? Why is there AM3+? Might as well phase it out, no native USB 3.0 anyway.

Supporting 2 consumer sockets with no future or cross compatibility IS STUPID! Intel seemed to learn something lately from AMD. i5-2x CPUs work on the latest boards (don't get PCIe 3.0). AMD is all over the map with no clear direction in where they are going.

We already know that Intel's Haswell is incompatible with Socket-1155. I'm okay if I buy an i5-3570 in a week or so because the performance is only 10% faster... no big deal for an already fast desktop CPU. When it comes to future 2012 notebooks/tablets - the power and heat savings is a killer! (10w?!) My next CPU/mobo upgrade will be in 2-3 years, 1-2 gens after Haswell.

AMD has been selling PCIe 3.0 video cards for almost a year now... now supporting those is plain stupid. yeah, no card really floods PCIe 3.0, but having two cards in 8x8 mode = no loss what-so-ever.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]I heard global foundaries now feels like it will catch Intel in the die-shrink, tri-gate, etc manufacturing capabilities by 2014, too bad, AMD could have used this like year and some change ago.[/citation] These are things that intel is already doing... AMD's performance problems are beyond that... its bad CPU design... okay, not horrible. They DO reach i5-2500K performance when overclocked - but that is not saying much.

The Trinity processors are obviously best for people who don't want or need a real graphics card. There is something to be said for that since graphics cards are one of the things most likely to fail on any computer newly pieced together from individual parts.

The APUs aren't that popular with that crowd anyway, though, and usually the video chips aren't good enough for that crowd either except when we are talking HTPCs. The APUs are pretty much built for HTPCs.

The Trinity APUs have Bulldozer cores which is going to hurt their ability to market these things. The Bulldozers use way too much power for 2012 and just don't perform up to expectations. They may not be as bad as most people say, but they really do need to have a pretty good OC just to equal Intel chips with half the number of cores usually.

Maybe when things get more threaded we will see huge gains in comparative performance, but in 2012 the world just isn't there yet. Synthetic benchmarks are catching up a whole lot faster than games are, for sure. Game makers aren't in a hurry to aim for 8 cores when only 1% of people have 8 cores. They generally aim for 2 cores because 99% of people have at least 2. BF3 is a pioneer in this space (able to use all 8 if you have them), but there are still games out there that just use 1 core. I am talking stuff new in the last few years. Stalker Call of Pripyat came out in 2010 and that just uses 1 core (IIRC).

I am pretty sure that Haswell will not be 1155 compatible, so there may be some small benefit from going FM2 for "future proofing", however, since future proofing is almost never actually worth doing when it means taking the worse option now, the importance is lessened.

The place where AMD stands to do the best here is for business PCs, but sadly the HD4000 graphics built into Intel chips now is usually good enough for those people.

AMD really has nothing to fall back on here for guaranteed sales. The worst thing about it is that most APU systems will probably ship with 1333 RAM anyway, seriously handicapping whatever advantage anyone probably wants to get from having the APU anyway.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]32 nm processing was new. In 2011. Your a year and a half late.I know that these have graphics cards too, but it is using the 5xxx series. Would have been more impressive a year or two ago.[/citation]

Trinity uses VLIW 4 from the 69xx series and using a 32nm process node is not bad. Trinity has shown that 32nm still has some life in it given that it beats Llano in both graphics and CPU performance overall while using what is the exact same process IIRC.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

AMD already has Trinity for laptops. They can't get it's successor out until it is ready, but they can push Trinity and Vishera on the desktop pretty much right now. The first 28nm APU will probably really beat out Trinity with GCN and probably a cut-down Cape Verde-like GPU comparable to the Radeon HD 7750.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
where I see the APUs shining is still in the laptop market. it really sucks that amd doesnt have enough money to pull out some good major tv ads. hopefully they start marketing these the way llano shouldve been. I really believe there is no better option than these apus in the budget(sub $600) market.

i dont really care about these desktop versions though.

Laptops need low power usage if they want to deliver long battery life and APUs just don't really deliver that.

Haswell from Intel is in the works and it will basically cut power in half from where Ivy Bridge sits. That is the next big thing that AMD has to compete with.

AMD just can't compete with that. Every processor they make uses wattage out the wazoo and is therefore not really built for laptops. There is no way that AMD can have a serious competitor out for Haswell even close to the same time that Haswell comes out.

Right now its better power wise to go with Intel and in the future its going to be even better than it is now to just stick with Intel. That will pretty much lock AMD out of the laptop market by itself.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Other than graphics, battery life has been one of AMD's main advantages over Intel with their APUs (although not with their older laptop CPUs). Their mobile APUs really aren't bad at all with power consumption, especially when you consider that Intel often needs discrete graphics to match AMD's integrated graphics. AMD's upcoming 28nm APUs should easily be able to compete with Intel even with a minor process disadvantage.

G

"APUs is geraing up for launch" sp. plz.

AMD needs to get their clock cycle efficiencies up. If not for the ati acquisition, they'd be a dead duck right now. With competition coming from all sides, intel, nvidia, qualcomm, TI. AMD will need superior efficiency, not just a push to adopt more instruction sets.
We accept that AMD is doing better in graphics than intel, but until they prove they can match intel's processes per cycle people will likely get intels still. Then just wait for intel to improve their graphics division.
I really had hoped bulldozer/piledriver would be smoking out the gates.. instead the gates opened.. the horse limped out and barely galloped. STOP releasing products that aren't ready and be realistic about dates instead of pushing it back constantly.
AMD could make workstation class equipment more affordable and score huge with me.. Or try to get into my cell phone and fight for pennies. Your choice!

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]LOL... yep, Bulldozer was a big disappointment. There is a MAJOR problem when your new BS "8 core" CPU is slower than your 1+ year old 4-6core CPUs. Oh yeah, taking a page out of Netburst (Pentium 4) - what was AMD thinking?!Trinity is an improvement, but its FM2. Steamroller sounds promising... but I and others who want/need performance just don't CARE anymore - when it comes out, it will be competing with intel's i5-4500(HASWELL). A lot of us AMDers have moved on to i5-2500/3500. I sold a lot of AMD systems, most still run today. For a typical user, no issues with AMD. AMD totally FUBARed. FM1 is dead, FM2 is 1 pin different from FM1, even using the same A75 chipset. The A85X only offers Crossfire support (wow! Feel the synergy!) but not PCIe 3.0 support?! Socket AM3+ is a dead end with not PCIe support. Looks like AMD will have PCIe3.0 sometime in 2014~2015!? Maybe FM3? Why is there AM3+? Might as well phase it out, no native USB 3.0 anyway.Supporting 2 consumer sockets with no future or cross compatibility IS STUPID! Intel seemed to learn something lately from AMD. i5-2x CPUs work on the latest boards (don't get PCIe 3.0). AMD is all over the map with no clear direction in where they are going.We already know that Intel's Haswell is incompatible with Socket-1155. I'm okay if I buy an i5-3570 in a week or so because the performance is only 10% faster... no big deal for an already fast desktop CPU. When it comes to future 2012 notebooks/tablets - the power and heat savings is a killer! (10w?!) My next CPU/mobo upgrade will be in 2-3 years, 1-2 gens after Haswell.AMD has been selling PCIe 3.0 video cards for almost a year now... now supporting those is plain stupid. yeah, no card really floods PCIe 3.0, but having two cards in 8x8 mode = no loss what-so-ever.[/citation]

This comment is just annoying. You don't understand what you're talking about, but by shouting as loud as you are, you may very well confuse some people into believing you do. You sound like a middle schooler. You know that right? You claim that you and everyone else who loved AMD have moved on and blah blah blah. Speak for yourself, but I don't know what you're talking about. I've always used Intel, but I've seen enough evidence to suggest that AMD is moving in the direction I want to go, so I will hopefully be switching soon. I've spoken to *many* people who feel the same way, but I haven't spoken to anyone who feels the way you do. To those of us who actually spend time studying this stuff, like myself, your statements make no sense. Let's break it down.

-Bulldozer was able to outperform my i5-2500K under very nearly any circumstance that used all 8 cores, while costing around $50 less, and it was able to beat the i7-2600K under a few scenarios, while costing significantly less.

-Trinity *IS* an improvement, *and* it is FM2. There's no but here. Have you forgotten about Piledriver? That's coming out very soon. Why are you talking about Steamroller? Do you even know what goals Steamroller has? And as a person who wants performance, let me tell you, I do care. I'm not an "AMDer" (never heard that one) by any means. I just focus on good technology.

-AMD hasn't messed up with the Fusion processors. I don't know what you're talking about. FM1 will probably live on for budget builds, but most people using the Llano Fusion processors were building appliances -- computers that weren't meant to be tinkered with. They were consumer computers. Trinity fusion will offer moderately high end performance as well, and the evidence suggests FM2 will live on past Trinity. The rest of your paragraph here makes absolutely no sense. I don't know how to address this level of blabbering... but I will say one thing. USB 3.0 native support is a chipset issue -- not a socket issue. Why would AM3+ have to be phased out to add USB 3.0 support?

-There is always a point where you must make a transition. AMD is at such a crossroads. Intel will be there soon... it's hardly "STUPID" to advance technology to the point where it is incompatible.

-You yourself note that Intel will reach that crossroads soon, yet you justify Intel doing it and not AMD. This confuses me. Shouldn't it be "STUPID" for Intel to make an incompatible socket? Yeah, I thought so. Also, if you save power, by definition you save heat as well. Let's not be redundantly redundant. You also have no clue what AMD plans for laptops in the future. They've got low power mobile offerings in the works -- already they offer Trinity mobile processors that equal Intel's in power draw. They will only get better.

-Again, AMD is at a crossroads with their processor technology. I'm certain they are working on it, but PCI-E 3.0 just doesn't matter at this point for many users. Power users aren't a profitable market most times. (unless you do like Intel and charge north of $1000 for a single desktop processor.)

I'm sorry. You just don't know what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.