AMD to Now Only Update Drivers 'When It Makes Sense'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
When things are working good there is no need for a new driver, I use Nvidia on my PC's but my notebook use a Radeon. (so no fan boy here)

I usually update drivers once or twice a year, to me that is enough.
After all most of the "in-between" updates I barely notice a difference if at all.

So "Only Update Drivers 'When It Makes Sense" it actually makes does sense.

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Sorry AMD, but i don't trust you, not since bulldozer and your loser CEO admiting defeat in CPU competition. I agree if you want to give us only good drivers, that's fine. But we also need to have them quickly.

It looks like you want to work less and take more time for yourself. In the past drivers we had lots of fixed issues in games and little performance gains. That's not little benefit.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Oh, btw, nice going, AMD. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my nVidia driver updates squeezing more and more potential out of my card.[/citation]
Yeah, sure, next driver release will turn your GeForce FX 5800 to Kepler 680 :D

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]big companies rarely change anything unless there is money involvedless drivers = more money for the CEO and managers[/citation]

less time spent on getting a release ready every 4 weeks -> more time spent actually improving the driver -> better drivers -> happier consumers -> more moneyz

Sticking to a rigid schedule isn't necessarily a good thing in software development.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]zetzabre[/nom]Sorry AMD, but i don't trust you, not since bulldozer and your loser CEO admiting defeat in CPU competition. I agree if you want to give us only good drivers, that's fine. But we also need to have them quickly.It looks like you want to work less and take more time for yourself. In the past drivers we had lots of fixed issues in games and little performance gains. That's not little benefit.[/citation]

You don't need them! It is obvious: your game on NVIDIA with Intel Inside. I bet you have no clue what a real Radeon Power is! :D

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I'm perfectly fine with this, I usually only update after a few releases anyway (or if I see something substantial in the changelog)...

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]You don't need them! It is obvious: your game on NVIDIA with Intel Inside. I bet you have no clue what a real Radeon Power is![/citation]
Sorry to dissonant you, but i had a Radeon 8500, two hd 4890 in crossfire, now i have a XFX7970 Black Edition. I even tried a Bulldozer 8150 with an Asus V Rampage. I know AMD, and i can say their last strategies are the worst i've ever seen.

Stop trying silly bets. If you are an AMD fanboy, it's your problem. I'm not in favor of Intel, AMD or NVIDIA, i'm in favor of we customers. If i pay for a product, i want a good product with the best support, and AMD really failed this time.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]sorry I meant "it actually does makes sense"dammit were is the EDIT Toms?[/citation]
You can edit inside the forums. Click on the top of the comments section where it says "Read the comments on the forums". :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
people saying nvidia drivers are better...

arent they the company that put out a driver that killed their gpus by over heating them a while back?
has amd (not ati in general, just the gpu branch sense amd got them) done something like that yet? i know there was a problem eairly on with the 5000 line, but i dont remember if it was hardware (firmware included in that) of if it was drivers killing cards.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I rather have fixes quickly, for some reason my hotkeys didn't work to switch from single to dual display! worked fine but it didn't! Had to re-install catalyst! Seems very likely that coming next upgrade, I'd be switching camps...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Smart move. I don't want to have to bother with a driver update every month on each of my machines -and risking that something may go wrong or interacts badly with god knows what else.

Traditionally nvidia drivers have been better but with exceptions over the years but this past year and a half that has been changing mainly with the declining quality of nvidia's drivers. In years past people bought into nvidia due to the quality of the drivers alone and not just performance. As for ATI now AMD for the most part they haven't been as bad as people made them out to be except for a few games while the vast majority worked just as well as Nvidia with no performance or bug issues.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Ok...One would think this should have always been the AMD driver delivery model strategy...Why would you release drivers unless "it made sense"?!?!?...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Traditionally nvidia drivers have been better but with exceptions over the years but this past year and a half that has been changing mainly with the declining quality of nvidia's drivers. In years past people bought into nvidia due to the quality of the drivers alone and not just performance. As for ATI now AMD for the most part they haven't been as bad as people made them out to be except for a few games while the vast majority worked just as well as Nvidia with no performance or bug issues.[/citation]

Have both brands and i have to say Nvidia still win the driver race by a small margain, a tad more stable and quicker support for newer titles even when the quality have declined some.

Status
Not open for further replies.