AMD Ultrathin Notebooks Could be Priced Down to $549

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasabiman321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
If it's better for gaming than an ivy bridge ulv + dedicated gpu at a substantially lower price AND in a nice premium chassis like current ultrabooks then consider me converted to AMD for my mobile gaming needs xD

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Samsung Series 5 AMD Ultrathin: A6-4455M with 500GB HDD: $599
Samsung Series 5 Intel Ultrabook: i5-3317U with 500GB HDD and SSD cache: $699

AMD is lying when they say the price difference is significant, unless they sacrifice on build quality to do it. The SSD cache on the top is responsible for $50 difference and the CPU another $50. When you go with Sandy Bridge i3 like the 2367M it costs $50 less. Likely Ivy Bridge i3 coming later will do the same.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]wasabiman321[/nom]If it's better for gaming than an ivy bridge ulv + dedicated gpu at a substantially lower price AND in a nice premium chassis like current ultrabooks then consider me converted to AMD for my mobile gaming needs xD[/citation]

This. I would actually consider getting a 17W Trinity and high-res display (over 1080p) for around 700$.

I would be happy if AMD offered a 17W part that mostly cuts the igp performance to get to that TDP, since I don't want to game on my notebook, and I believe igp performance would still be very good even for >1080p res

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]Samsung Series 5 AMD Ultrathin: A6-4455M with 500GB HDD: $599Samsung Series 5 Intel Ultrabook: i5-3317U with 500GB HDD and SSD cache: $699AMD is lying when they say the price difference is significant, unless they sacrifice on build quality to do it. The SSD cache on the top is responsible for $50 difference and the CPU another $50. When you go with Sandy Bridge i3 like the 2367M it costs $50 less. Likely Ivy Bridge i3 coming later will do the same.[/citation]

Pricing is considerably different around the world.
For the above systems you mentioned, here they run for $999 and $1199 respectively.

We have some of the highest priced computer components in the world.. Like the GTX690 for $1600...
Proof:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1385
http://arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23519&p=group&s_sort_stock=price_regular_inc%2Cdesc

Similar laptop to your above, BUT last generation AMD system:
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/asus/15-inch-notebook-sku-86130/

I hate pricing here. -.-

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Pricing is considerably different around the world.For the above systems you mentioned, here they run for $999 and $1199 respectively.We have some of the highest priced computer components in the world.. Like the GTX690 for $1600...Proof: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.ph [...] h=193_1385http://arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=2351 [...] inc%2CdescSimilar laptop to your above, BUT last generation AMD system:http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers [...] sku-86130/I hate pricing here. -.-[/citation]

I need to move to Australia and set up a Computer wholesale business. I would make a killing.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
It's funny really. Intel keeps pushing ultrabook makers to lower costs but continues to sell its CPU's at prices of over $200. i5 3427m is $225. If AMD sells it processors at $100 less it could really do well. Especially for the cheaper ultrabooks ($500 to $600 range).

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Having trouble seeing how a part that costs 50$ less then the Ivy Bridge counterpart can create a 200+$ price gap in machines.

G

Basically, AMD does not have restrictions on "Ultrathin" machines, unlike Ultrabooks that have a set of conditions. this is why AMD machines can be much cheaper than intel's offerings, it sounds like in different countries, they are trying to sell Intel's ultrabooks at bare bone price (At $699) while an AMD ($599) would still have some leeway.
The main thing that would put AMD infront though is, if a) The Processing speed is high enough on the APU to not see a big difference between Intels machines (So anything with above 1 second lag during general tasks) If AMD's CPU lags in general tasks, then they will fail
and B) The better Graphics, Thermals and Price trifecta, Since Intel's move to Tim, i would not buy Ivy bridge. They are trying to find way to cut costs. Also if AMD's Graphics are indeed good enough for everything (unlike intel) Then indeed, 99% of users would be better off with an APU

G

I am curious to see how AMD does graphics wise on 17W systems. Their graphics advantage is only slight when compared against mobile HD4000 as it stands. It would appear they have to drastically reduce the clock rate to get the power down. I'm not sure the graphics performance will be any better on Trinity at 17W than on ULV ultrabooks.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Let the pricing war begin! May the best value laptop win.

I'd rather prefer to get a standard laptop to save cost and get better performance. However, if the ultrathin rivals standard laptops on most categories, then I'll buy it, and turn it into a stationary computer (when I'm not on the move) with extra cooling, and OC it (because I can).

G

thats not true, Trinity is about 50% Higher, The thing about trinity is it scales down (Like you said) as you go down in part numbers. in that being said the HD 4000 is only in Intel's top priced parts currently, and will not be in ULV models (Denoted by a Q or whatever) I believe the 25W Envelope is where the 4000 Ends. It is said Intel is putting the 2500 HD or something similar in the Chips under 25W (It may be even under 35W some-one will need to confirm it for me). Anyways, it's likely the 17 (Well now it says 18W) will have the Same performance as Llano, if thats anything to go by

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've been completely unimpressed with the ultrabooks I've used so far. The hot and noisy one (Toshiba) has been the worst of the bunch. My Asus 1201N netbook is better than that thing. The Dell XPS ultrabook is better, but so horribly under powered, hot to touch, and saddled with an annoying touchpad. I hope AMD can work with its partners to come up with something nice. I could be convinced to get rid of my netbook if this happens.

G

Im not impressed with Intel moving to Tim, basically the reduced thermal transfer has caused to almost completely eliminate the benefits of moving to 22nm, with Top End Sandy Bridge over clocking higher than the Top end Ivy Bridge (Without putting very expensive coolers on it). The HD Intel series has never been good enough, is only just barely comming into Good enough now. While trinity is, But still, i cannot see AMD APU's being good at 17W this year, maybe next year, i have seen Llano Laptops and even the good ones are far too slow on the CPU. I think The Steamroller Core and GCN will put AMD out of ARM's reach for a few years, and unless intel can find another 100% increase in graphics, they will also snatch more market share off intel aswell

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]Having trouble seeing how a part that costs 50$ less then the Ivy Bridge counterpart can create a 200+$ price gap in machines.[/citation]
Well, go to new egg and price comparable cpu's, motherboards, and memory for an AMD vs. Intel build. You will already see more of a price difference than just the cpu. Now add a graphics subsystem for the Intel system (the AMD system doesn't need one because it's integrated in the cpu). Now are you starting to see the light?

By the way, I know the article is about laptops not desktop systems, but the lesson is easier understood when looking a building a desktop, and then extrapolating to laptops.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]wasabiman321[/nom]If it's better for gaming than an ivy bridge ulv + dedicated gpu at a substantially lower price AND in a nice premium chassis like current ultrabooks then consider me converted to AMD for my mobile gaming needs xD[/citation]

If you play pong and tetris! You gamers are lamers!

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
There is nothing to keep OEMs from selling a 17w celeron ultrathin in the same price range.

The ultrabook vs AMD ultrathin is a false dichotomy, and apples to oranges. AMD could offer high end thins(without the trademark ultrabook label) and Intel could offer low end thins.

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Things like this are the only thing I can think of that explain some of the strange announcements coming out of AMD these days. They are essentially bailing out of the desktop market and switching to mobility as their primary focus and with the projected growth and flexibility of mobile devices they may not be wrong (still doesn't let them off the hook for bulldozer though).

G

"thats not true, Trinity is about 50% Higher, The thing about trinity is it scales down (Like you said) as you go down in part numbers. in that being said the HD 4000 is only in Intel's top priced parts currently, and will not be in ULV models (Denoted by a Q or whatever) I believe the 25W Envelope is where the 4000 Ends. It is said Intel is putting the 2500 HD or something similar in the Chips under 25W (It may be even under 35W some-one will need to confirm it for me). Anyways, it's likely the 17 (Well now it says 18W) will have the Same performance as Llano, if thats anything to go by
"

According to Anand, it was overall about 15% faster. Anand also did a test of the 17W parts and they were definitely HD4000. Even Anand wondered if AMD's low power GPUs would actually be faster than the ULV parts from Intel. I will probably get reduced for not kissing AMD butt, but this is what Anand said. Sorry to disappoint you.

Status
Not open for further replies.