AMD Unveils 17 AM4 Motherboards, X300 And X370 Chipsets, And Full Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Not a huge fan of all the unnecessary heatsinks and decorations which are only there for looks and don't actually enhance the performance or reliability. Still it's nice to see AMD feeling confident in aiming for the enthusiast or "gamer" market, where performance and the number of blue LEDs are crucial.

The boards look like an improvement from the older am3+. It's nice to see they're catching up with all the latest features, pcie 3, usb 3.1 etc. It's also nice to see so many with decent vrm heat sinks, they look like they're taking cues from intel's motherboards. Not to mention the pch vs the previous north/south bridges. That should help divert some of the heat away from the socket.

At first glance they look like intel's boards aside from the zif socket instead of the lga. Not all but a fair chunk of previous am3/3+ boards were somewhat cheap and outdated in terms of design and features.

Maybe this combined with the lower tdp of ryzen will circumvent the previous issues especially notable when overclocking of pairing the cpu with a cheap low end board and suffering overheated vrm's. The vrm sinks do actually serve a purpose, especially when overclocking and if moving away from top down air cooling or worse, water cooling leaving the vrm with little to no local cooling (outside of cryorig's a40 type coolers with included fan on the block).

CarbonK

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a Cyan/Black color scheme before. Unique, but still cool looking.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Looking at the boards the only heatsinks they have are on the VRMs, and those are hardly only for looks. If the previous AM3+ generation has taught us anything its that VRM cooling is extremely important both for stock chips that are high clock, as well as any serious overclocking.

PancakePuppy

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Can 2017 be the year we get rid of legacy PCI slots? If you still want to put a Soundblaster Live in your setup, you gots problems.

Midnitte

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
"The Corsair Hydro H110i, H60, and H100i cover the water-cooled bases, whereas the Noctua NH-L9x65, NH-U12S, and D15 offer more traditional air cooling alternatives."
Does this mean the existing H60 etc will be compatible, or new revisions?

Sabbilon

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016

For PCI you might need to check out the MSI B350 tomahawk board

Sabbilon

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
I am seeing two different styles of cooler mounting bars. Asrock type is different from the msi ones or ones from the earlier am4 leaked boards.

Anyone notice the biostar board was missing the top mounting bar. I think the cooler story is not finished yet.

gondo

Distinguished
Intel sold a lot of Skylake systems based on how much better they are than current AMD stuff. Those people have no need to upgrade or switch to AMD.

A lot of people went NVidia for their video card seeing as how AMD only has the RX480 which is a 1080p card. NVidia has 1440p and 4k capable cards. Those same people are probably Intel fans.

Those people with older FX 8300 series or even older 955BE AMD CPUs who didn't spend the cash on newer superior Intel stuff seeing as how their AMD stuff was still sufficient, and who were waiting on AMDs next gen stuff, will probably upgrade. That's a limited amount of enthusiasts who will buy into Zen.

AMD has to release this or they are toast, but I think it's too late. Intel grabbed a large market share and computer people are brand loyal and hold a grudge. It will take another generation to see if AMD can hold their own when all the Skylake owners are ready to upgrade. AMD has to win this round, and maintain it into the next generation to win over people.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Look like the Motherboard and Case makers are really excited/confident for Ryzen with all the Ryzen branded boards and cases. I have never seen that at this scale before.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Please tell me that they finally die shrunk their motherboard chip sets. The maximum power draw on their last series was about 9 watts and LED light bulbs draw less than that now. The Intel chip sets top out at about 1.5 watts.

I am enthusiastic about their Ryzen CPU chips, but if the motherboards risk cooking themselves like the AM3+ ones do, I will stay away.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008

Well hopefully the RyZen CPUs won't be 220W parts, even when overclocked. A few VRM heatsinks aren't a bad idea, but they don't have to be so unnecessarily big, come with LED lighting, and be shaped like the F-117 fighter. A traditional heatsink design is more efficient and less intrusive.

My plain GA-Z87X-D3H has powered my de-lidded 4770K @ 4.5 GHz flawlessly for 3.5 years now. There was no need to pay 2-3X as much for a fancy "gamer" motherboard since it would have made zero difference to the performance or reliability.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right now they are supposedly going to be 95w parts, but just like "91w" Intel CPUs I am sure that overclocked even a bit they will probably draw more in the 130w range. Much better than the 220w trainwreck of the FX-9590

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Hopefully, I wonder which RGB lighting around the heat-sinks produces the highest lumen. I also want to know the readability and response time of the on board diagnostic tools.

albundyhere

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
"Can 2017 be the year we get rid of legacy PCI slots? If you still want to put a Soundblaster Live in your setup, you gots problems."

I'm not giving up my SoundBlaster X-fi platinum fatal1ty champion card with drive bay anytime soon. onboard sound is no where near that level of quality.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agreed, though I use Tosink + external DAC. Old A/V receivers are useful for this, though many won't route digital -> line out, forcing you to use the (sometimes poor quality) headphone jack or speaker outputs.

However, I do have a 10-year-old TV tuner card, I recently dug out when my USB tuner died. It was handy that my current mobo had a legacy PCI slot for it. I also have a SDI capture card that's PCI and would be a bit more expensive to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.