News AMD Unveils Nvidia DGX A100 Specs in Formal Announcement

Jun 10, 2020
I found the data sheet and it's a max power draw of 6.5 kW.......... which isn't terrible efficiency for flops/watt but god damn.... the cooling needed....

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I found the data sheet and it's a max power draw of 6.5 kW.......... which isn't terrible efficiency for flops/watt but god damn.... the cooling needed....
That's a little above where I estimated. I think I was saying somewhere around 5 kW.

Did they say how tall it is? Looks like it could be 6U, which would be a little less than 1.1 kW per U. That's not unreasonable, and plenty big enough for some large fans. Though, when it really gets cranking, I'm sure it will sound like a hovercraft.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Heh, I just had this image of a server with an automotive radiator bolted on. Someone should definitely do that, if it hasn't been done already.

Edit: of course it's been done.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are there any low price analogs of Nvidia DGX ??
Depends on why you need multi-GPU. What makes DGX special is the high-speed GPU-to-GPU interconnects. This can be useful for training and inferencing extremely large networks. However, if your network is smaller or you just need to accelerate inferencing, then you might be able to go with T4's.

Another option might be to rent time on Google's TPU, if you don't need to actually own the hardware.

Reactions: DotNetMaster777