AMD Updates Desktop FX Processor Line With Three New CPUs, Price Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
8 core precessors are great if you want a virtualization infrastructure for testings. 125W was to high for me, but 95W seams more resonable and i will buy one.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I'm wondering if there's a typo by the author. In the paragraph just under 'the chart', which begins...

"Price reductions are always welcome...", he writes

"There are few low-cost AMD boards out there..."

I wonder if he meant to type "There are A few..."

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
This is disappointing. The base clocks on the 8370E and 8320E are lower than the numbers release a few weeks ago. The "new" cpus are nothing more then underclocked versions of the previous FX line.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I do remain hopeful that AMD will rescind a 3-year-old 'surrender' and re-energize Computing Cores at some point. The computing world NEEDS that valid competition.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Oh AMD, why? I don't think I'm offending anyone when I say this isn't optimal for AMD's desktop CPUs... at least not for the consumers who like them. Until I see some Steamroller desktop cores equipped with L3 cache, I'm sorry to say that I have to stick with camp Intel.

Fr33Th1nk3r

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
We'll all stick with our intels, but these CPU's are geared towards people that fall in a lower income bracket. Which is a larger portion of the buyers market. People buy cheap laptops and tablets because they can't afford big flashy expensive i7 rigs which at the cheapest are $1200+.
I built an FX8320 system for a relative and he can play sniper elite 3 on ultra with his radion card, and i built that system inlcluding the OS for 800 bucks. Mine costed me $2500 and I love it.
In order to steal more people from the 500 dollar laptop market and 500 dollar consol market, we need cheaper CPU's like AMD's lineup. I just wish they'd work on single core and wattage a little more.

runswindows95

Distinguished
The 95W's version I hope are released to channels, such as Newegg, unlike the previous FX-8300. A 95W 8-core for under $200 is great for those of us who want to build a cheap VM system.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
How about this new concept: "Let's wait for a review before passing judgement.."?

Seems to me, too many out there too readily pass judgement of AMD, due to their pass misgivings. we don't know if they simply found a way to lower the TDP or actually improved the process.

All we're seeing is what these chips are supposed to do by a chart. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need websites such as The Tech Report, Tom's or Hardware Secret, etc...to tell us if these chips are worth it or not.

vdraconus

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Well looks like the 8370E turns out to be a dud for my needs/wants. It's only 95W but they sacrifice a bit off the base speed to do it, and the standard 8370 isn't really much of an improvement over the 8350.

Unless somehow they improved the single thread/core performance in the 8370 I can't see it being worth the $200 to upgrade from my 6300, and I feel like the 8730E would practically be a downgrade despite gaining 2 cores!

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
For the performance per money, FX6300 and FX8320/E are still the best buys on the market. Buy these beauties, OC them a little and they'll wipe the floor with i3s and some lower end i5s selling for the same money.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Just read the review from The Tech Report...It's best for AMD to simply move on.

The problem here is these chips are too far behind to be compared to anything Intel is doing right now, and it shows. These chips were being designed during a time Intel was going through Sandy Bridge, and were being redesigned during a turnover period. By that time, Intel was already thinking Haswell.

But we know they won't do that. They'll drag this thing out until they're ready. They may as well cancel Steamroller, it should have been out two years ago. But they put it off while turning off power users for focusing on Kaveri...

How about this new concept: "Let's wait for a review before passing judgement.."?

Seems to me, too many out there too readily pass judgement of AMD, due to their pass misgivings. we don't know if they simply found a way to lower the TDP or actually improved the process.

All we're seeing is what these chips are supposed to do by a chart. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need websites such as The Tech Report, Tom's or Hardware Secret, etc...to tell us if these chips are worth it or not.

We already know exactly what the performance will be. It's using the same architecture but has a frequency cap to limit power for 95W sockets.

If AMD had a new CPU that would not only be HUGE news but it would have a completely different name.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I'm really more concerned about AMD's motherboard chipsets. They seem to maintain the sale of a Lesser Version for older chipsets. The 785 was a great chipset but when those motherboards were sold, all we can find now is the 760s.

Then, it was the 890FXs that were hot commodities, but then they only sold the 870s after that first year.

Those were replaced by the 990s and 970s, but there are more 970-laden motherboards for sale than the 990FXs now.

I don't understand why AMD is pushing the lowest-common denominator for a motherboard chipset rather than maintaining the Last Best Version.

Three years ago, AMD said they were throwing in the competitive towel over CPU performance and were going to focus on APUs. Fine. But here again, we see this odd sidetracking/ backtracking status. "What's the matter, folks? Slow day at the office? Someone ask what the engineers were doing lately?"

Of course, if they want to REALLY drop prices, fine. Slash 'em in half. And get RAM halved, and storage, too. If they want to gain low-end market, REALLY DO IT.

As for Sess's "wait and see", nawww... heck, what am I supposed to do with all this tar and all those feathers I've already unpacked?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
For the price of 1 Intel 8 core, 4.0+ghz base you are looking at near 1000 bucks. JUST for the processor. I'll take AMD anyday. Hell Ic an buy 5 of these chips for the 1 intel is charging. If you think Intel is worth the price, you are just as brainwashed as Apple product buyers. The truth hurts. Value for price, AMD is unbeatable.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I'm using a Phenom x6 @ 4.2GHz. Still waiting for something to upgrade to from AMD LOL

Well it's kinda the same story for the people who have i7-9xx as well. I mean sure the new Haswell CPU's are noticeably stronger, but what's the point when no game will benefit from the upgrade?

Both your Phenom II x6 and those old i7's have at least 2 years of more life in em'.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Buying a unlocked processor & not OCing it is plane stupid. Problem with fx8xxx & OCing is significant power drove that then forces you to bay a 80+ 700W so that you can go with descent budget gaming GPU R9 280(X) (250W). Still & decent motherboard for AMD FX costs more. Considering all of this you really can bay an unlocked i5 with good board & 600W (good quality non 80+) power supply unit with for just a little more money & still save a 100W/h. In last build I did I did go with:
MSI Z97S SLI PLUS 53.43€
i5-4670K 3.4GHz. 197.20€
Prices are where I live including taxes.
This is at least for gaming & usual light work tasks much better combo & saving on per year electrical bill is not so small, enough to pay starting price difference definitely.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
For the price of 1 Intel 8 core, 4.0+ghz base you are looking at near 1000 bucks. JUST for the processor. I'll take AMD anyday. Hell Ic an buy 5 of these chips for the 1 intel is charging. If you think Intel is worth the price, you are just as brainwashed as Apple product buyers. The truth hurts. Value for price, AMD is unbeatable.

I agree that AMD generally has better price/performance than Intel, but it isn't as clear cut as you are making it. That 8-Core from Intel has 16 threads (Which do add 30-50% to the overall performance), and it will also fit into quality micro-atx motherboards with better RAM support.

AMD needs a new architecture badly, and they know it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
This is disappointing. The base clocks on the 8370E and 8320E are lower than the numbers release a few weeks ago. The "new" cpus are nothing more then underclocked versions of the previous FX line.
Leaked and obviously slightly inaccurate numbers, I might add.

Also, the base and max clocks for the 9370 and 9590 are switched around the wrong way in the chart... a little sloppy by AMD there.

Status
Not open for further replies.