AMD vs. Intel Strange Conspiracy theory?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
This is a strange one that I have been wondering and looking into, and observing for a long time. I was told by a source that is obviously not dependible but humor me, that intel cpu's are no match to amd due to the theory (it's rediculous but humor it) intentional replacement,and the cpu is designed to get slower after time which is why they never release cpus on the same mobo platform like amd and theychange constantly to get more money. I know this a lame conspiracy but I wan to get some honest opinions about that. Is there any truth to that at all or is is trash. the biggest question is I want to know the history of amd vs. intel because it also was claimed that overtime amd cpu's will work better than intel and amd has always been better. Intel fanboys rejoice because i'm ready for anyting I have strong feeling so don't be afraid to attack me. amd fanboys are wecome to have their say as well. have at it.

As a side note, I'm not really swayed either way as a fanboy to either company, my decision is decided by the almighty dollar. so far amd has consistantly been the better value enjoy. feel free to flame coment the post on my blog about this too.
http://rokk-itscientistblog.blogspot.com/

Solution
Complete garbage. CPUs don't get slower over time. Operating systems however can get slower over time, but this is easily remedied with a reinstallation of the OS.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Verndeed i am running a tualatin 1.2ghz on my dektop and it still runs at 1196 mhz as it has always ran at and it is very stable albeit slow

specs:
2001 system
Compaq
1.2ghz tualatin
512 megs of SDRAM
40 gig hdd
int graphics

all other info is irrelevant at this point, but my CPU still runs at 1196mhz after 8 years and a few of those years being 24/7 before i stopped trying to kill it.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Probably either you experienced a faster computer or the hard disk degraded.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

half its estimated lifespan , or just under and its 90nm, keep that baby plugging night and day for another 12 years and youll see what I am saying. Better yet load it with apps everyday for 5 years , max the cpu every hour of every day for five years.loading it every hour of everyday for the next 12 years would guarantees it would need to be downclocked if it held together that long and didnt exploit a flaw somewhere.

I sold a barton to my neghbor which keeps him plugging away on the net its 6 yrs old give or take a year and I never had an issue with it , I unlocked it once and couldnt deal with the heat it produced so I removed the thermal paste from the topsde laser cuts. Great chip and will last for another14 years at his pace, He doesnt oc so its a long lifer , but it will eventually fail.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

or the rubber drive belt needs replacement

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

Its not different the only saving grace on your side is the chip doesnt self adjust meaning you split hairs on a manual adjustment to keep an old worn chip stable. if it did(self adjust) and chips wore out in 5 years to the point of self slowing to maintain stability youd be saying that electromigration has degraded the cpus circuits and slowed the cpu's clocks.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
it is not a conspiracy, it's open secret. intel will try to hold amd back and keep the game goes on. if amd fall one day as it filing bankrupcy some company like nivida, sony, and even ibm will show highly interresting on amd's processor technology and fabrication experience. which when the day comes acquisition on amd from any of those company on list intel will face the enemy that is much worser than amd today. to keep the easy game for intel, amd 's existence is required.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

my main point is intel could have bring a killer level processor that can demunish entire amd line on stock. but to keep amd's chip and market share to survive they have to play smart and fair enough to let amd having a breathe while intel remain as dominant.

btw core pwn athlon/phenom with ease

Well if you believe in the heat death of the universe, which is one current cosmology theory, then in about 10^150 years even galactic-sized black holes will vanish due to Hawking radiation, 10^200 years even nucleons will start decaying into quarks, since there's an infinitesimal yet non-zero probability of protons and neutrons decaying. The estimate is that it'll take about 10^100 years.

So in short, 10^300 years from now all CPUs and everything else will be immaterial. Literally. :D

Upendra09

Distinguished

yes a new laptop check out my sig. No the HDD is still chugging along at 8 yrs.

so you're saying my dektop is supposed to last last 16-18 yrs? and it is 90 nm, what difference does that make?

last question, we had 90 nm 8 yrs ago and we have only gotten down to 45nm mainstream? that is very slow, we have half the die size of something 8 years ago that is sad

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

economy crash had cause lack of fabrication processing from advance forward. as many average family struggle their house and normal daily spent they would have no desire to upgrade their computer. as many major company like intel, amd cutting jobs and some budget for the newer devolepment due the lost income. i dont think fabrication will ever come faster if the economy havent recover.

34nm products are now available. Going from 90nm to 34nm actually gives you about 1/8 the die size, because die size is based on area, not on linear dimension. Example: 5mm x 5mm = 25 square mm, but 10mm x 10mm = 100 square mm.

My God this thread contained probably the most madness and insanity that I've read in years. Electromigration causing CPUs to slow down? Grand global conspiracy for forced obsolescence? Jaysois Chryst.. not only was basic logic butchered, but physics and economics as well.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

...But it is humorous to watch...

Good to see ya dude, it's been a while, I hope you are well. As for this thread, there are no Roswell greys mentioned and how can you have a good conspiracy theory without the greys?

jennyh

Splendid
Conspiracy theory - Intel keep releasing new sockets because their cpu's degrade faster.

Business theory - Intel keep releasing new sockets because that makes them more money through selling the same mobo chipsets to unsuspecting idiots.

Upendra09

Distinguished

but that isn't mainstream, it is enthusiast

but why didn't AMD/Intel force a rush to get smaller and better tech? AKA X64!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DON"T PEOPLE START NATIVE X64 COMPUTING FOR MAINSTREAM AND ENTHUSIAST ANYMORE!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

sorry for all caps, it was necessary, it is just x86 is a dead end, where else are we going to go? lower clock speed but better IPC? is 3 ghz going to be the max mainstream stock clock? i mean back in the day, people were fighting for more mhz, even by 5 mhz, and now it is micro arch, what happens when micro arch hit the same dead end as clock speed? where IPC get so complicated, it doesn't matter what the IPC u have the same proc but a different name.

It's quite sad that no talk of black helicopters or death squads have occurred. What's a good conspiracy without black helicopters?

Good to see some other old faces still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.