News AMD vs Nvidia: Which GPUs Are Best for Ray Tracing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
I'd be more interested if you wrote some low level API to access and test the hardware with.

Everyone know what the current landscape looks like. Few know what the actual potential of both cards looks like.

Oh, Radeon isn't that bad - before DLSS, then it's, "OH."

DLSS has gained more traction than ray tracing... nice /S

I mean nVidia specific gaming features do tend to get more adoption than AMD but thats because they work more with game developers. AMD is picking up but I still think nVidia has a bit of a head start with the hardware aspect of Ray Tracing. It could easily switch as we have seen before when ATI used to come out swinging like a giant but they may not.

What I hope is Intel can flood the market with mid range GPUs and eventually get to the high end market and we can end the duopoly in the GPU market. Hell it would be nice to see duopolies all around disappear but odds are most wont. I mean its insane to see that a 3080 even minus the price gouging is $800 for a decent one.

jhatfie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'd be interested to see how AMD does with CAS enabled and RT. While I have a 3090 FE now, I was running a 6900XT for a couple months and the image quality with CAS enabled and 80% resolution scale generally looked as good as native and was a solid performance boost. Not as good a performance boost as DLSS, but decent and honestly even DLSS 2.0 at less than the quality setting, generally starts to degrade the image to the point I do not want to use it.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Most will, but Wolfenstein Youngblood unfortunately uses pre-VulkanRT extensions

Has someone unironically played that game?

Anyway, here we are, stuck without anymore cards that don't pack ultra-super-wet floors HW rendering engines that add $500 to the cards MSRP.
RIP, AMD.

Seems for 1080p and above resolutions DLSS 2.0 make more sense than RT. And that is are where until now Nvidia got much further than AMD. Though I believe that AMD will get there too soon.

Intel indeed would advance their iGPUs to make AAA games playable in budget laptops with acceptable FPS (60+). Then they would get back in track pretty soon.

Has someone unironically played that game?

Anyway, here we are, stuck without anymore cards that don't pack ultra-super-wet floors HW rendering engines that add $500 to the cards MSRP.
RIP, AMD.
I actually finished it -- and I didn't finish the previous two Wolfenstein games. It wasn't awesome, but it wasn't all bad either. Writing was not the greatest, but the gunplay was good.

Mithrandir95

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Seems with the exception of Minecraft the AMD cards aren't doing terribly in Ray Tracing at native 1440p. Yes, with DLSS it's a different story, but that's not an apples to apples comparison, although I thought AMD would be offering their apple (CAS) more reliably by now.

Seems with the exception of Minecraft the AMD cards aren't doing terribly in Ray Tracing at native 1440p. Yes, with DLSS it's a different story, but that's not an apples to apples comparison, although I thought AMD would be offering their apple (CAS) more reliably by now.
Contrast Adaptive Sharpening isn't their answer to DLSS and I find it silly they advertise it as something similar.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Status
Not open for further replies.