News AMD vs Nvidia: Who Makes the Best GPUs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I've heard some rumors about Anandtech loyalism to Nvidia's cause...
I've watched a video from Hardware Unboxed, in which Steve made very clear statements about that, citing Paul's Hardware and Bit Wit too.
Sounds very much like a timed smearing campaign to me.

"I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi".

PS: I also believe your marketshare infos come directly from Steam. Change your sources.

Hardware Unboxed? One of the most pro AMD sites on Youtube, and yet they still have released the following videos this year:

Why Are AMD’s Drivers Buggy?

Can We Still Recommend Radeon GPUs? AMD Driver Issues Discussed

The answer, at the end was, no.

Are AMD's Radeon Driver Issues Fixed? Navi Driver Problems Follow-Up

Answer at end, it's better with version 20.2.2, but problems still exist. This is newer than the last video and they say they are more comfortable recommending AMD now, but they are still cautious.
And you want to claim, no one in the media has reported driver issues with AMD.

My market share numbers are from the industry standard Jon Peddie Research.

https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/market-watch-quarterly1

"Nonetheless, Nvidia is still the dominant market share leader in discrete GPUs worldwide with 73% of the market. "

Reactions: KyaraM
May 11, 2020
Hardware Unboxed? One of the most pro AMD sites on Youtube, and yet they still have released the following videos this year:

Why Are AMD’s Drivers Buggy?

Can We Still Recommend Radeon GPUs? AMD Driver Issues Discussed

The answer, at the end was, no.

Are AMD's Radeon Driver Issues Fixed? Navi Driver Problems Follow-Up

Answer at end, it's better with version 20.2.2, but problems still exist. This is newer than the last video and they say they are more comfortable recommending AMD now, but they are still cautious.
And you want to claim, no one in the media has reported driver issues with AMD.

My market share numbers are from the industry standard Jon Peddie Research.

https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/market-watch-quarterly1

"Nonetheless, Nvidia is still the dominant market share leader in discrete GPUs worldwide with 73% of the market. "

Maybe you've missed when they say they didn't have any issue while using Navi on a daily basis on multiple systems, along with many others notorious YouTubers. Please, when reporting news, tell the whole story.
Jon Peddle info must be read VERY carefully: they make far too many exceptions. What are they considering? DIY? OEM? Internet cafes? Just PCs or even other systems? Did they include the vast market of gaming consoles? Also, do you remember that AMD is outselling Nvidia in recent estimates?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Jarrod you were very to AMD. I say that with my best and favorite system I've built in 30 years being a Q9450 / 5870. So reliable and while I didn't play every game under the sun to find driver issues, I did play a lot and had no driver issues in 8 years where the same game didn't also have issues with NV. Back on AMD / NV now and I had a lot of issues with X370 and BIOS releases for X470 until 2020 with AGESA 1.0.0.4 patch B. I'm missing both Intel and the the years I had with the problem-free AMD 5870. But I can't deny that Windows 7 was a big part of the reason why that system was so good for so long. It's not always so simple. NV in the Vista era was particularly bunk.

I'll give up a lot for problem-free operation from day one, for the long haul. That said, I think AMD GPU drivers are further behind than people realize. AMD operates their drivers like Toyota, change very little and have less problems. There's value in that even if it's the easier way out. While I'm typing this on a 1060FE system with HAGS already enabled.

Well, I wrote about my experience with AMD support before and now how it looks with NVIDIA: I had an issue and submitted a ticket. In a day or two quite large reply with steps what to try. So, completely opposite to AMD!
Also my AMD drivers experience (motherboard) is everything but satisfactory! There were several articles about it. On NVIDIA side "Geforce Experience" app allows me to switch between game and studio driver at run-time without rebooting, check for update and install them, etc.

On HW side as we see NVIDIA is faster but also, like Intel, more expensive. AMD still does not have Ray Tracing.
All this is very good cause like Intel NVIDIA will be forced to reduce price and they already did. A bit but did.
He said that AMD is the onl
Well, I wrote about my experience with AMD support before and now how it looks with NVIDIA: I had an issue and submitted a ticket. In a day or two quite large reply with steps what to try. So, completely opposite to AMD!
Also my AMD drivers experience (motherboard) is everything but satisfactory! There were several articles about it. On NVIDIA side "Geforce Experience" app allows me to switch between game and studio driver at run-time without rebooting, check for update and install them, etc.

On HW side as we see NVIDIA is faster but also, like Intel, more expensive. AMD still does not have Ray Tracing.
All this is very good cause like Intel NVIDIA will be forced to reduce price and they already did. A bit but did.
He's right about the open-source support. AMD created Mantle (which nVidia scoffed at), GAVE it away and thus, both Vulkan and a good chunk of DX12 were born. As for nVidia, their conduct has been so bad that Linus Torvalds himself said that "nVidia can go f**k themselves!" which kinda makes it a no-brainer in that regard.

As for your issues with AMD, I don't know what to tell you because I myself haven't had them despite using only AMD processors since my Phenom II X4 940 and only using ATi/AMD GPUs since my XFX Radeon HD 4870. I'm not saying that what you dealt with wasn't real, but I am saying that it wasn't ubiquitous.

I thought I had a problem with a driver version on my HD 7970 and AMD gave me their Radeon tech support phone number (which I still have). The guys there helped me find the problem within minutes and were really cool about it (it had to do with my desktop resolution setting when running TimeSpy, not the drivers). I can't comment on nVidia's service since I don't use their products.

It's not because I'm some AMD fanboy, it's because both Intel and nVidia have really left a sour taste in my mouth with several of their anti-consumer practices (if you don't know what those are, you've been under a rock). Their products are clearly fantastic but I have a hard time handing money over to a company that I really don't want to support and since AMD was the only viable alternative to Intel and nVidia, I ended up with all-AMD builds.

Maybe you've missed when they say they didn't have any issue while using Navi on a daily basis on multiple systems, along with many others notorious YouTubers. Please, when reporting news, tell the whole story.
Jon Peddle info must be read VERY carefully: they make far too many exceptions. What are they considering? DIY? OEM? Internet cafes? Just PCs or even other systems? Did they include the vast market of gaming consoles? Also, do you remember that AMD is outselling Nvidia in recent estimates?
AMD is outselling nVidia? If you have a link to that I'd love to read it because nothing makes me smile more than seeing nVidia suffer like Intel has. There's nothing like seeing nasty corporations getting their comeuppance. LOL

Right now for me Nvidia...And the simple reason is performance and yes they cost more but they are also moving the technology envelope forward and whatever you think about RTX and DLSS it has made a huge difference with all the major consoles jumping on board along with AMD. DLSS alone is now making huge inroads and with more and more games being optimised for DLSS 2.0 in the upcoming year it will be pretty tough to beat along with Ray Tracing.

RTX was a huge risk for Nvidia as you have the chicken and egg scenario and the additional development cost on the hardware and software side. Yes it was always going to be imperfect to start off with but they have made big inroads and have a lead now with Ray Tracing.

Also AMD's 7nm process still cannot match Nvidia's 12nm process and once Nvidia come down to 7nm then it will probably be worse though we have to hope that AMD's new RDNA 2 or 'Big Navi' GPU's have caught up.

Finally we do need AMD to compete on the GPU front as pricing is getting a bit too high and competition is key so here is hoping both AMD and Intel can bring some good GPU's to the table but until then I am willing to pay a bit more for better performance.

And my God there are a few who seem to get so involved/one sided in this AMD versus Nvidia thing...not worth it, just buy to your budget be it AMD or Nvidia...Your own purchase is always the right purchase!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also AMD's 7nm process still cannot match Nvidia's 12nm process and once Nvidia come down to 7nm then it will probably be worse though we have to hope that AMD's new RDNA 2 or 'Big Navi' GPU's have caught up.
Yet, at the RX 5600 XT tier, it outperforms the RTX 2060, uses less power, and costs less. That seems to be the sweet spot in performance/power-consumption, at least for the first iteration of Navi/7nm.

Mar 3, 2020
In the AMD vs Nvidia competition to make the fastest and most efficient GPUs possible, there can be only one winner. We look at performance, features, drivers, power and more in crowning the current champion.

AMD vs Nvidia: Who Makes the Best GPUs? : Read more
Ok best Gpu go's all the way back from Ati days AMD makes much better reds and resulting better looking video and games. Now you got a test to see who has the best Red tints? Better looking games and videos?

Aug 22, 2020
Well i mean nvidia makes better (AND ALOT SMOOTHER) driver support and they auto control the fans unlike radeon does which you have to make it kick in at a certant clock speed.

Nov 30, 2020
One thing the Tests didn't mentioned and what I also saw on many YT videos is described here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1IGWsllYEo

The interesting self reflection part was:
I was always favorizing the nvidia part, not because of objection but because of Pavlow Law, I had trained myself to the Nvidia's images.
Now I see this VERYIMPORTANT PART on AMDs favor.

The PROBLEM though is that the AMDs are always in micro stutter, but now i understand why, they give a better image and do not use the Nvidia Compression.

What WE GAMERS need is a card with AMDs detail imaging and Nvidia's No-Stutter power!

Well Matrox is out of the game what? ;) LOL

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I've been very happy with my PowerColor 5700 XT. I'm content to wait another generation for hardware (not to mention more games) at this price point that can actually run ray tracing at respectable frame rates without so much of a compromise on resolution and quality.
I have the same card reddevil 5700 XT. with a x 470 board and 3700x CPU and all games crash constantly. All drivers chipset, gpu are up to date newest BIOS. PUBG crashes 10+ times a night, HP reverb 2 VR in ED crashes SteamVR or my whole system 1-30 times a night. While waiting on avaliblitiy of the reddevil last year I ran the same system with a AMD r9 390X xfx and did not have the crashing issues.

I've heard some rumors about Anandtech loyalism to Nvidia's cause...
I've watched a video from Hardware Unboxed, in which Steve made very clear statements about that, citing Paul's Hardware and Bit Wit too.
Sounds very much like a timed smearing campaign to me.

"I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi".

PS: I also believe your marketshare infos come directly from Steam. Change your sources.
he was a little off, probably past info.
Q4 20 put Nvidia at 82% discrete market share, a bit higher than his 75% number.
I've had both over the yeas. Had way more trouble with ATI/AMD drivers. But that is my experience. yours might have been different. Doesn't make either of us wrong. Just that our experience was different.

Quenepas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
Nvidia in the sheets. AMD in the streets.

I'm an ancient from the times that you could flash an ATI 9800SE into a 9800 Pro. Back when Nvidia FX line was pure garbage. PCs had a turbo button and could be locked with a barrel key.
I've owned a computer business for 20+ years and almost all the time I buy AMD for my customers. They are cheap, reliable and great for the use customers have. It isnt rare to find customers mentioning that computer I built them 10+ years ago is still alive and kicking driving a 1080p TV for movies and Turbotax. However I've always bought Intel/Nvidia for personal use. I've made way more money for AMD than Intel/Nvidia lol. But I also drive my computers to the ground and tend to keep them forever.

The experiences with AMD cards (ex mining cards mind you) have been atrocious. Black screens, blue screens, failed to post, fans stuck at 100%... and no amount of formating helps, it's just stuff that pops up eventually no matter the brand if PowerColor or XFX whatever they just crash on me. AMD APUs on the other hand are just bulletproof.

My next computer will be, again, Intel/Nvidia. New customers, again, will get AMD APUs.

Reactions: Why_Me

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
My desktop GPU is AMD and my laptop GPU is Nvidia. I definitely like the AMD driver UI much better than Nvidia. I prefer how much longer Nvidia supports their GPUs though. Performance-wise, I am hesitant to own a 300W+ space heater, so I'm fine with Radeon GPUs not being competitive with the top Nvidia GPUs

Some people seem to have issues with the Radeon 5700XT. My PowerColor Radeon 5700XT needed a GPU brace. This is the first time I had a GPU that needed one, and yeah, it sucks. Still, it might be something some of you can try

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
AMD may have terrible drivers, but Nvidia has GeForce Experience, which is just as bad.
Nvidia does not provide GeForce Experience as a way of improving life for their customers - it exists solely to collect data for Nvidia. Everything in GeForce Experience could be provided in the base driver, but instead they lock away the extra features to coerce customers to install it. That alone justifies a tie for software between Nvidia and AMD.
I bought a 6900XT, my first AMD card since my days with the 3DF1 Voodoo 1 3D cards - it's been all Nvidia cards since those days.

My experience is, following the removal of my RTX 2080 and a proper driver clean, was this - plug in a VESA compliant cable (to avoid the black-screen) and not one problem that's interfered with my AMD experience. I prefer the AMD drivers over the Nvidia ones, and never installed the extra Geforce baggage.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I don't use anything which actually is (overly) buggy.

As for AMD owners being cheap, this is clearly nonsense and I'm not sure why this comment was allowed to stand.

Last edited:

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I bought a 6900XT, my first AMD card since my days with the 3DF1 Voodoo 1 3D cards - it's been all Nvidia cards since those days.

My experience is, following the removal of my RTX 2080 and a proper driver clean, was this - plug in a VESA compliant cable (to avoid the black-screen) and not one problem that's interfered with my AMD experience. I prefer the AMD drivers over the Nvidia ones, and never installed the extra Geforce baggage.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I don't use anything which actually is (overly) buggy.

As for AMD owners being cheap, this is clearly nonsense and I'm not sure why this comment was allowed to stand.
Late last year I bought a 6600xt as it was the only card available at msrp. The only driver issue I have had was when I installed the latest driver that was available. Apparently it was not certified by Microsoft, so Windows removed it and left the pc with no driver. Easy enough to install the older driver again, but not ideal.

Reactions: BeedooX

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Having used recently AMD's drivers, I'm MASSIVELY impressed by the unified, no account or registration required to use all their features, and that's freaking impressive.

In the nVidia drivers, you need to install the gefore experience addon of an already huge driver, then to use those features, you need an nvidia account and to be logged into it.

On the GPU side of things I have to agree with others here, the open source support means that you'll get to use most of those features in Linux, BSD flavors without any issues.

If you live exclusively in Windows, and use/want DLSS and/or superior RT performance, get an nVidia card.

"Nvidia vs AMD: Who has the best tech for 4K PC gaming?"
If only the only problem was knowing which graphics card to buy...
At the same time, without nVidia, AMD cards would not have really evolved...since in the end, only nVidia really advances the technology through innovative R&D that AMD is content to copy.
AMD has made some money the last few years.
They now have more money to invest in more "research and development".
People forget or do not realize Nvidia has had about+/_ 80% market share for discrete garphics/server($$$$$$$$$$) cards for many years now. Which gives much more money/resources for "research and development".
So it takes time/money to adopt new technology to your existing technology

Over the past couple years, the needle was leaning towards NVIDIA.
Right now...? They are even.

I've used NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, ATI, 3DFX, and S3 to name some of the bigger ones. If there's one thing for certain, it's that one mfg. will get ahead for a generation or two and then the other will come back to even out the playing field (or go ahead themselves). This kind of competition spurs innovation and keeps prices down (cryptocraze not withstanding).

Reactions: King_V and Phaaze88