amd vs pent

Ampz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Why is the amd athlon 64 3700+ 939 san diago $294.00 which is 2.2mhz 1mb l2 cache when the P4 3.6 ghz 800mhz fsb 1mb lvl 2 cache processor is $284. why if u pay $10 more you get 1.4ghz more of a processor?

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Long story short: AMD processors do more work per clock-cycle. read some articles from <A HREF="http://www.google.ca/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial_s&hl=en&q=Megahertz+Myth&btnG=Google+Search" target="_new">here</A>, and if you're still confused afterwards, we'll explain it better.

G

Yup like emogoch said, diffenrent architechture, different approach.
See it like having 3600 worker taking 2 brick at the time or 2200 worker taking four bricks at the time, wich one is faster?(not exactly reflecting actual performance, just an analogy to make it simple!)

and huh 2.2mhz is really slow :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Urgh.

This has been said thousands of times over - AMD processors are far more 'efficient' than Intel ones. For every clock cycle they can process more commands/data. This is called the IPC (instructions per clock).

Although there are other factors which mean that a much slower clocked AMD CPU can keep pace with an Uber clocked Intel CPU, IPC is a main factor.

I really can't be bothered typing out a long answer. Google is your friend.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Funny to still hear that in 2005.

I will make a quick comparison...

Which of these engine is the more powerful :
V4
V6
V8

If you hide all the other engine specs. You would say that the V8 is the faster...

And now compare these engine :
V4 - 2.5 Liter Turbo - 300Hp
V6 - 3.0 Liter - 210Hp
V8 - 3.8 Liter - 260Hp

In CPU world, it's the same thing... AMD processor do more work per clock cycle compared to Pentium. And actually they do more work with less power too!

Read recent CPU reviews and check the different charts. You will see that AMD offers a lot of CPU power.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>

G

Usually its IN-Line 4 cylinder, not in V
hehe
im a picky b*** today :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You are right! Usually 4-cylinders are inline... But Most people don't know! :smile:

Mine is actually an opposed-4-cylinders engine... You can probably guess what kind of car I have with this information.

-

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
Saab built V4 engine cars long time ago. They were good cars, but ugly as hell.
And Ferrari F1 car had two cylinder boxer engine built for it and they used it only in Monaco GP.

So, you own a Volkswagen buggy, Rod. Good for you.

Why isn't there a little boys Car section in THGC. Makes me wonder.

G

Yeah I know there is some, but not many, also most of the Four cylinder turbo engine are in-line =).
Gotta like the Evo VIII <A HREF="http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mitsubishi-evo-8-mr-fq400.htm" target="_new">FQ400 </A>
Thats IPC for you! lol

2.0 liter 4 cylinders (think its in-line) 400 Hp :eek:

Anyhow a good idea that new section!

I myself have the nice 6 in-line 4.0L 200hp/220 lbs torque engine that cherokee's had for quite a few years, nice engine

Ampz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Ok I understand all of that. Just like ddr400 ram isnt actually 400mhz its 200mhz x2 (instructions per clock cycle). But what is the number? I didn't see the instructions per clock cycle ratio is amd 4 and pent 2? If this is true my overclocked 3700+ is much faster then the pent of my price range whereas my 3700+ is overclocked to about 2.5ghz (still working on speed) x 4 = 9.6 effective ghz and the 3.6 pent is at about 7.2ghz taking you overclock it 2ghz it would still only be 9.2 in comparison to 9.6 and the amd FSB or HTT is built into chip whereas the pent in 800mhz from chipset. Am I a complete idiot or is some of this stuff making sense? lol

endyen

Splendid
You have to take into account, things like SSE, etc, the compilers used, and even the aplication of the prog. It's not like the IPC of either chip is a constant. Using the right tools, it is possible to make either chip look like a dog, or the greatest thing since sliced bread.
In overclocking, the Intel setup would take greater advantage of the faster fsb, because it is more memory choked.

pat

Expert
Am I a complete idiot or is some of this stuff making sense? lol

I would go for the first choice, based on what I just read..

See, to put it simple, the 400 is the number on bit for each line that can be moved for each clock cycle. Since it is 200MHz, and 2 bit for each clock cycle, so the 400. It is not MHz.. it is just a market way to increase number because big number sells better than small one. Just like if you use one hand to move something and do 200 trips per hours, then you will have moved 200 thing. use both hands, then this will be 400 thing that would have been moved for the same 200 trips.. You didnt make 400 trips ...

But CPU use clock to have thing moved inside. This frequency cannot be multiplied.. You can do more or less instructions per clock cycle, but the frequency is always in MHz. your 2.5 CPU run at 2.5..not 2.5 x 4 because of the HTT. Anyway, too lazy to keep up with trhat.. search this forum, as there is not less than 1000 threads on the matter..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You are right! :smile: A beautiful Subaru Impreza!

-

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You can't compare have a fix instruction par clock ratio. Because some processor might do a task in 4 clock cycle while another would do it in 5. But for another operation, it would be another story.

What's important, is what YOU do with your PC and then, you go check benchmarks based on your PC usage. If you use your PC for gaming 90% of the time, don't pay attention to Video, Audio or multimedia applications benchmark. If you are a programmer, you should pay attention to "compilation" performance.

It's like in car... If you buy a car for a family or to race on a track, you will not check the same stuff.

-

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Does this mean that a 5.4 ghz phone will go farther than an 800mhz phone?!?!?!?!? [/sarcasim]

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Pentium THREE 1GHz was a little faster than the Pentium FOUR 1.4GHz. Intel decided to use a design which would boost clock speed at a higher rate than performance, because of people like you. Clock speed sells.

But even Intel had to rethink that plan. Their Pentium-M 2.0GHz outperforms their Pentium 4 3.0GHz. The Pentium-M is based on the Pentium THREE, but with modern improvements.

Athlons were always a bit better performers than PentiumIII's, for similar technology. PIII was kinda slow with the original off-die cache, Athlons were a bit quicker. Intel went to on-die cache and beat the Athlons, AMD went to on-die cache and beat those newer PIII's.

When Intel went to the less efficient P4, AMD stuck with their old PIII erra Athlon design, and enhanced it a bit. Today's Athlon 64's are the herritage of improving the original Athlon of five years ago. Just like Pentium-M's are the heritage of improving the old PIII's. Both designs provide similar performance to each other, both are more efficient than any P4.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>