AMD Wants to Know What You'd Do With 48 Cores

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Why would AMD design such a god awful slow computer? I'd like to use it with Emotiv's Epoc headset to power a robot that can make me lunch, but this computer isn't powerful enough. I'd need a computer with at least 96 cores and 64GB of RAM to do this and even then it may not be nearly enough power.

N3wjl

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
What's the point! I have 8 cores (i7 920 @3.4ghz) and a 260GTX video card with 216 cores. I have Nivida 'Cuda so I can use those 216 cores for number crunching.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]danielmastia[/nom]I always wonder why someone doesnt develop a single core but with all the cache and transistors of a quadcore (Not really sure a 30Ghz cpu is feasible, but a 3ghz with a looooot of power is).Sure, it would be a single computational thread but 4 times faster than any other... Not too bad if you ask me.[/citation]

Heat.

G

I'd be disappointed after waiting 7.5 million years only to have it answer... "I think the problem, to be quite honest with you is that you've never actually known what the question was."

G

i would sell it for having money for the college,and maybe someday i will help the science with amd cores.

NyRoc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Finally AMD found a way to keep up with i7.... I find this a rather sad attempt at getting people to use your hardware.. booo amd you cheap who?re..

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
it would be way sweeter if it was a single core 105ghz cpu or a 52.5 ghz dual core... isnt what intel goals were for netburst? and we all say how that ended

rdagevos

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Well, i'm running a datawarehouse on a 16 core machine, I sure wish i had some more cores for running separate queries on all this data and be able to program on another set of cores... too bad I'm in europe

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
step 1. get the tyan board with the expancion slots that allows you to have up to 8 CPUs

step 2. install water cooling system and graphics card of the gods

step 3. overclock everything out the wazzooo

step 4. set back and smile as you rule the internet with an iron fist

G

i would like to know the cpu score of 3dmark vantage of such a rig

Status
Not open for further replies.