AMD: We Turn Bad PCs into Super PCs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Sure you can tweak stuff by hand but as someone already mentioned this is just a once click effort. It can restore everything back in one click and reload the profile at your fingertips.

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Sounds cool to me. I think they will eventually adapt it to support Nvidia cards to but for the moment good job AMD you have finally put together processor related that im really happy about!

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Only flaw in there ideology is that any one who cant proform these tweaks probably wont notice the change in what they do.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
I have spent hours doing tweak experiments in the past. This sounds like a nice alternative.

It seems the spintel antitrust supporters are pretty scared since every time AMD does anything they feel compelled to call it down. AMD is doing a lot more than you know. You disruptors will have lots to whine about soon. And you can start with nihilim - as soon as it falls on it's face. Just watch - ($$$$ flop). but u will find a way to justify it. especially with all the rigged benchies hahaha. dig deep. support an7i7rus7. you live in the world you create. the spintel marketing machine owns your thinking.

I am an AMD fanboy for ethical and personal reasons.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]armistitiu[/nom]You don't have to brag about it C2D guy. It's just an application for the new brand 'Fusion' . just wait until the real thing comes out. I guess AMD fanboys will have the last laugh then.[/citation]

lol...unless this is really what they meant.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
In the future, snobby rich idiots buy Apple and all its packaged system. Regular gamers and smart shoppers use Intel and Nvidia with many choices of board, chipset, OS and applications. The cheapest HTPC users buy Fusion and run Linux with all the AMD proprietary goodies.

vanbao

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Just download and install in my PC with X2 6000+, HD 4850 crossfire and Jetway 790GX mobo,
It's hang my computer with click in any profiles Easy, Advanced or Expert...
Don't try it until out of beta

Sounds nifty. Actually I would like it to conviniently turn off some of those pesky services, such as MS SQL Lite, when I'm not using it. I know why Visual Studio uses it, but I hate that Office seems to want to use it. So, if it turns off some of the useful development services when I'm not using them I think that's a good thing. It certainly seems a lot easier than doing it manually or editing my script every time I install a new shiny developer app.

Yeah this one click thing is really a step in the right direction, and if I build a low end PC for someone I can just say there is a big button to press when you want to play a game ^_^. Too bad this is mostly relegated to the lower end of things though :( AMD better step it up and give us more than just a big button.

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]ZootyGray[/nom]I have spent hours doing tweak experiments in the past. This sounds like a nice alternative.It seems the spintel antitrust supporters are pretty scared since every time AMD does anything they feel compelled to call it down. AMD is doing a lot more than you know. You disruptors will have lots to whine about soon. And you can start with nihilim - as soon as it falls on it's face. Just watch - ($$$$ flop). but u will find a way to justify it. especially with all the rigged benchies hahaha. dig deep. support an7i7rus7. you live in the world you create. the spintel marketing machine owns your thinking. I am an AMD fanboy for ethical and personal reasons.[/citation]

Really rigged benchmark tests... I may not be an expert but I know enough to put my faith in the right people "toms hardware" and I dont see what you have against core i7 if your an AMD fanboy then go for it no one here is going to stop you but i cant really see your "$$$$" flop to come true.

[citation][nom]ZootyGray[/nom]I have spent hours doing tweak experiments in the past. This sounds like a nice alternative.It seems the spintel antitrust supporters are pretty scared since every time AMD does anything they feel compelled to call it down. AMD is doing a lot more than you know. You disruptors will have lots to whine about soon. And you can start with nihilim - as soon as it falls on it's face. Just watch - ($$$$ flop). but u will find a way to justify it. especially with all the rigged benchies hahaha. dig deep. support an7i7rus7. you live in the world you create. the spintel marketing machine owns your thinking. I am an AMD fanboy for ethical and personal reasons.[/citation]

Hehe little do you know that you too more than likely are supporting antitrust in other companies.

You sound just like BaronMatrix and I am willing to bet you are.

Either way this is just a program for those non PC savvy. It will work for them. But it does seem to me like AMD is really trying every trick in the book to compete.

But allas this wont give much more. And restricting it to only pure AMD systems is kinda stupid really.

kidswithguns

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
The writer didn't bother to read the comments, I mentioned in another post, that they have some typo, and until now, it's still there.
Is there an Phenom 9550 @ 2.6GHz?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm PRETTY positive at this point that it was a slip of the fingers that turned a 9950 to a 9550. To me, at least, it seems like the only remotely logical answer to this, though it remains to be seen when one of Tom's editors gets over and noticed this.

As far as the application itself, I'm uncertain, but in theory, it SHOULD work without an AMD CPU or GPU. If they're targetting "mainstream PCs," then they can't necessarily be goin' on and expecting everyone to have their "spider" platform, since most such users with non-gaming rigs tend to go with whatever hardware their OEM picks to put in that particular model. Of course, I don't expect the incorporated AMD Overdrive to work on an Intel CPU or an nVidia GPU, but the process-trimming portion should still work, and really is the main core of what it's supposed to do...

For relative novice computer users, this would be akin to a godsend, since it's bloat that tends to be the main reason their computers run poorly in games, and it's hard to convince them that they don't NEED all that add-on junk running. However, they're a sucker for anything that's a "free download," so while they'd refuse an expert telling them to clean up their processes, they'd likely not even hesitate if told to download this. So really, it also makes the life for us enthusiasts that advise our non-enthusiast friends that much easier. :p

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I dont understand why people are complaining that this is only for a AMD/ATI set-up... I mean, geez.. its AMD putting out this FREE software. I dont see NVIDIA users complaining that CCC is only for ATI cards... comeon people, your just makeing up arguments just to argue.

I'm an avid PC user and my PC, like many out there, is being used by not only me, but by my wife and kids aswell. I have a busy life and cant keep track of everything everyone else is downloading and installing on this shared system. I also like to game once and a while,and this idea is very good for someone in my situatiuon. Sure, I know how to disable backround tasks, but when I do actually find the time to play some games, I dont want to spend half that time figuring out whats what and shutting down non-essentials.

Yes.. Intel fanboys, we know that Intel CPUs are on average faster then the cheaper AMD counterparts. Yes we heard you brag about it many times over. But in the end, when a person who likes to game, but is on a tight budget and ends up going with AMD, then this little tweak is a nice perk and it shows that AMD is activilly trying to make a better user experience for thier customers.

Like I siad, for me, this little program whould be idea. I currently have a Athlon 64x2 5200+ windsor (2.6GHz, 2x1MB L2) and a HD 4850. I bought the CPU almost 2 years ago when it was going for about $215 and the closest Intel C2D CPU was almost double that. I upgraded the VGA not to long ago and will probally be the last upgrade for this computer. This PC plays games like a champ right now, but if this program can make it even a bit faster with one click of a button, then Im sold.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Sounds like this would be great for my Dad, to get him a few more fps in Call of Duty 4. He doesn't have the knowlege nore I the time to really tweak his system, plus he d/l a bunch of junk and puts it on there. Too, bad he has Intel(pentium D, not core 2) cpu

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I guess I'll give it a try. As someone with an old Compaq (without any OCing options), this might just breath a bit more life into a fading rig.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
can say I like the naming of this product, with all the talk of fusion graphics I didn't get what this article was talking about at first.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Am I the only person who, after running 30 open sessions in IE, MP3's playing, multiple RDP sessions open, Outlook open ICQ, Kaspersky, Activesync etc. My cpu is still only running 1-3% utilization.. so this program will free up 0-2% for gamming OHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOW as for Free OC'ing programs, they're all over the place. Most of them are less stable than just checking the "easy OC" feature in the bios.

Toms, do us a favor and Benchmark this on a mainstream system with skype, web etc. No manual AV scan/Zip compression/Video encoding in the background though... anyone trying to do that while playing a game, get what they deserve.

hksduhksdu

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Do you think I can use this software to be my Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam ware? Hopefully it helps me shut down those as well so Norton has a competitor now! :p

Average Joe is going to love this. Its simple and easy, almost like the cpu ocing for you....ooops. Lets see, how bout everyone going around saying their cpu ocees itself? Or, better yet, just push a button? In a mobile, using this plus a 8xxx series igp average Joe the ability to game at average Joe pricing. Scary for certain people and companies, but who cares? Average Joe will care

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
OK, I'll admit to being dumb enough to try it. I figure I've got a pretty slack system and this should give my old ckunker a kick in the pants. There isn't any info on the web site as to system requirements - just some flashy "this is great stuff" claims and no instructions. So what the haeck, I'll give it a shot. (this isn't supposed to be a scam ... right???)

System is an AMD X2 4400+ (2.2 GH), 2G Ram, 7600GT, & XP Pro SP3. No overclocks, just the normal, bloated system. I turned on taskmanager just to get an idea of my starting point as far as system resources. 51 threads and 3% CPU useage. Pushed the fusion button and it shut off the firewall, jumped to 45% CPU useage, jumped to 54 threads, all fans went to high speed and then the screen, mouse, and keyboard froze up.

I exercised the reset button and removed the software from my system. Sooooo ... there's an actual review if you want an opinion. My response - come on AMD, some of us are trying really hard to like you. Help us out a little will ya!

Oh ya - International Talk Like a Pirate Day has been extended to cover the weekend.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
piratepast40,it's only meant to be used on ATi GPU's,not Nvidia...

As for the "performance tweakers"

I call bullcrap on you saying "without the time or knowledge" sure,I might have the knowledge,but I don't spend 5 hours changing my registry,and GOD FORBID if I have to change that service/background program to accept/use properly *x driver/software/hardware*. It is really,way too tiresome.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
But allas this wont give much more. And restricting it to only pure AMD systems is kinda stupid really.

First, do you mean "Allah", or "alas"?

Second, I disagree. Restricting it to AMD was NECESSARY as this also forces competition and gives them a temporary edge. Why make NVidia/Intel systems run faster? It could have been a legal issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.