AMD: We Turn Bad PCs into Super PCs!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've got an older computer that my family shares so at any given time it's running a dozen or so persistent programs. Normally I spend a good five minutes shutting everything down through the control panel and freeing up as many CPU cycles and RAM as I can before I play a game. I tried the fusion thing and it's actually pretty good as a time saver to go through and shut everything down not essential to the game. Sure you can do it without it, but it's rather handy. Maybe not so much for OCing, but it really does shut everything off you don't need.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I agree with ZootyGray this is a nice tool indeed. and AMD isn't nearly as bad as rigged benchmarks and spintel fanboys claim .sure intels high end is great but you need an expansive cpu with an afthermarket cooler and an high-end €200+ motherboard with solid capicators to pull the preformance out of it otherwise you end up unstable with a very limited lifetime and alot of noise. While AMDs Oem systems are quiet and stable also delivering a good gaming and multimedia experience and low power usage in idle with hybrid crossfire. yes thats right the intel stock cooler is a major pain in the ass my friend. it sounds like a airplane engine.
it isnt that intel is that bad but i just want to make it clear that AMD offers some great features and IGP graphic options and great compatablity in there systems for a low price and unless money dousn't matter for you you can get your self a great AMD system too. and im an AMD fanboy also for ethnical en personal reasons. i dont like monopolistic abuse, rigged 32-bit benchmarks and absurt €999+ pricings.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]spearhead[/nom]I agree with ZootyGray this is a nice tool indeed. and AMD isn't nearly as bad as rigged benchmarks and spintel fanboys claim .sure intels high end is great but you need an expansive cpu with an afthermarket cooler and an high-end €200+ motherboard with solid capicators to pull the preformance out of it otherwise you end up unstable with a very limited lifetime and alot of noise. While AMDs Oem systems are quiet and stable also delivering a good gaming and multimedia experience and low power usage in idle with hybrid crossfire. yes thats right the intel stock cooler is a major pain in the ass my friend. it sounds like a airplane engine.it isnt that intel is that bad but i just want to make it clear that AMD offers some great features and IGP graphic options and great compatablity in there systems for a low price and unless money dousn't matter for you you can get your self a great AMD system too. and im an AMD fanboy also for ethnical en personal reasons. i dont like monopolistic abuse, rigged 32-bit benchmarks and absurt €999+ pricings.[/citation]

You have proven yourself as a person with no knowledge of Intel products. You are letting your dislike for their business practices cloud your judgment because its pure fact that it does not require solid cap boards, tricked out air cooling solutions or even voltage adjustments to grab a free 600Mhz overclock off a 45nm Intel CPU. Did Intel run over your dog or something?

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
as a matter of fact roofus i didnt sad that intel is bad i sad its more expansive to build a good config with in most cases. and i also sad AMD's offering is fast enough to build a good comparable system with for most people's requirments sometimes even offering better home entertainment options. you can get a 600mhz out of an intel quite easily but it might shorten its lifetime serverly on cheaper motherboards. as a matter of fact alot of the cheaper taiwaneese capicators have the habbit of starting to leak and buggle once there temperature raises afther a period of time. as the cause of an incorrect electrolyte formula causes the production of hydrogen gas.
phenom black editions overclock quite good too if you raise the multiplier and in most cases you can get a good motherboard with sb750 and solid caps cheaper then a comparable intel too. to be straight AMD isn't nearly as bad as alot of people try to proclaim.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Can the utility be used on an intel system?
I'm a bit worried if so, cause most of the computers I'm responsible for keeping operable are either athlon xp mashines or intel computers of various generations (from p3 to c2d), and I don't really want our students to have the ability to disable services and the like so they can use our systems as gaming rigs.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]In the future, snobby rich idiots buy Apple and all its packaged system. Regular gamers and smart shoppers use Intel and Nvidia with many choices of board, chipset, OS and applications. The cheapest HTPC users buy Fusion and run Linux with all the AMD proprietary goodies.[/citation]
I'm a regular gamer and smart shopper with an Apple MacPro 3.4 Quad Core Intel processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 8800GT, nVidia 380 GTX and ATi 4870x2 (which I can easily swap out) and the machine runs OS X (of course..what better OS?), XPSP3, Vista32-SP1, Vista64-SP1 and various flavours of Linux... Yes, all on one very neat, very smart machine. Oh, and I can max out Crysis (even though it's about the shi**iest game I've have had the misfortune of playing).

mderksen

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
After selecting to go to Advanced mode Windows shut down the Explorer (not IE) and so I lost all functionality on my desktop and start bar... I have an AMD processor, but a Nvidia vid card... I didn't receive any warning that my system wasn't compatible with the software.
Looks like I need to reboot to fix this...

G

Loaded Fusion on my 3800 X2 939 /ATI 7800 AGP 2meg of ram and XP Pro system with the screen saver and....
Great SS....Fusion itself locked up(would that be Fused???)my system...
Nice SS though.Looks like an Intel may be in the future with fond memories of what AMD was and might have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.