AMD: We've Received the $1.25 Billion From Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free/Discounted CPUs and GPUs for EVERYONE this Christmas Season!!!

-- If only. ;) At least Intel settled out of court though. This should free up AMD to continue on their CPU research/engineering. Ultimately, this is good for the consumer.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Free/Discounted CPUs and GPUs for EVERYONE this Christmas Season!!!-- If only. At least Intel settled out of court though. This should free up AMD to continue on their CPU research/engineering. Ultimately, this is good for the consumer.[/citation]
depends how much in debt is amd still or does the 1.25 bil actually brings them out of the red for once in a blue moon
If anything not suing intel for anti trust would bring cheaper cpus are intel uses its larger bulk facilities to terrorize companies into buying their cpu on the cheap (with a small prevision not to buy a lot of amd's crap) or pay what they are really worth

Don't forget Intel also gave AMD a boost in company value (forgot the actual name, sorry xP) with the demise of the "Consumer" Larabee product. So u gotta add that to the 1.25B.

All in all, we all agree that this is good (to some extent) for us, the end consumer 8)

Hope Intel can come up with a better IGP or get his GPGPU well done with this "focus" time. Same goes for AMD/ATI as well, off course, but they're well headed IMHO.

Cheers!

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
its nice to hear these multinational corporations settle things in a civil manner like mature adults. Now if we can get apple/microsoft to work together

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]yang[/nom]its nice to hear these multinational corporations settle things in a civil manner like mature adults. Now if we can get apple/microsoft to work together[/citation]
You say that as if Apple has 1. Something Microsoft wants, and 2. Something to settle.

Apple hasnt done anything truely innovative since the iPod.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
That's good to hear. I hope AMD can use this money toward R&D to make their phenom runs faster. I also hope Hector Ruiz wont get a single dime from this.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]That's good to hear. I hope AMD can use this money toward R&D to make their phenom runs faster. I also hope Hector Ruiz wont get a single dime from this.[/citation]

The guy's gone, at least from central AMD.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]compulsionnra[/nom]AMD can go to hell. Intel made a massively better product w/ core 2 duo and i7. AMD is just trying to catch up anyway they can.[/citation]
... disagree... why you just see AMD as CPU maker? AMD is a GPU maker too! And intel iz a poor GPU maker... and the larrabee iz a flop... i think intel needed to pay more... they pay less... and now we know why... compare Radeon HD5970 to larrabee... o wait... there is and will not be a larrabee from intel...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... disagree... why you just see AMD as CPU maker? AMD is a GPU maker too! And intel iz a poor GPU maker... and the larrabee iz a flop... i think intel needed to pay more... they pay less... and now we know why... compare Radeon HD5970 to larrabee... o wait... there is and will not be a larrabee from intel...[/citation]
Sure, the dude you're quoting is wrong, but your reasoning is just as flawed. And I'm not even going to comment on the spelling and grammer...

While this was happening, AMD didnt own ATI. And Intel didnt have the C2D process yet. And despite the fact that Intel probably did flog their proccesors in an illegal way, AMD still thrived in a ton of ways until Intel came out with the C2D. In all reality, AMD probably never lost that much, and would be on the same losing end had it never happened. AMD came out way ahead in this deal, and they know it.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]compulsionnra[/nom]AMD can go to hell. Intel made a massively better product w/ core 2 duo and i7. AMD is just trying to catch up anyway they can.[/citation]

That's only true because they didn't get the cashflow they should and would have been getting had intel not been cheating when AMD had the far superior CPU. I looked it up and that was the case since pentium III all the way to the tail end of the pentium IV CPU's where AMD had better stuff. A good deal of that time they also had 64bit as well. Had the better performing thing been selling in computers from that era that I see now wouldn't seem like 99% intel (I still haven't actually run into an AMD one, esp store bought) and AMD would have at that point gotten plenty of funds in order to do more R&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS