AMD Will Make Hair Prettier With TressFX Shampoo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]joecole1572[/nom]Ah. I still wouldn't rule out AMD running a check to see if you are running an nvidia card and disabling the feature if you are. It's just like how you can't run physx on a system with an AMD as the primary card and an nvidia as a physx card. The nvidia gpu can do physx...but nvidia won't let you because you bought their competitor's card.Time will tell and I'll try to be optimistic.[/citation]

This isn't entirely true. There is a workaround, and in fact, tomshardware did an article on the work around.

I was running a 5870 w/ a 465 as a dedicated PhysX card. :)

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Nvidia doesn't make games... it simply demonstrated that its hardware can do it. If developers weren't interested in taking advantage of it then so be it. But let's just keep it in perspective that nothing about doveFX, sorry, tressFX is new. It's marketing, not technology.[/citation]

of course nvidia doesnt make games. but it had many chances to convince game devs working under them to utilize it. AMD worked with Square Enix to add it into tomb raider. AMD doesnt make games, but it has the power to convince game devs to implement something or not(like how nvidia asks some devs to implement physx). Nvidia chose not to promote its hairfx showing nvidias lack of initiative to push for something they demoed.

G

I wonder how much time and money they spent just trying to make Lara's hair flap in the wind more realistically. Sometimes I find it hard to understand the priorities of game studios. Don't get me wrong, I love eye candy graphics just as much as the next person, but I would prefer to have a game where they try to balance gameplay, story-telling, graphic quality and optimization rather than have a game where they spend all their time trying to pigeon hole new (and poorly optimized) technologies that really don't add a whole lot to the game. It seems like major developers (or the publishers that pull the strings) believe that the only way to make a successful title is to cram as many gimmicks as they can into it at the cost of everything else.

G

Hope it will work for Skyrim :D

Have a beard moving in the wind or packed with snow.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think we might be seeing more of this considering the technology on the PS4, and next XBox. There are alot more resources for DirectCompute shaders, and openCL physics engines than PhysX now. Its great we are getting HairFX in pc games now, but something tells me it was Square-Enix developing for future console titles.

Lets be honest, Eidos' focus on Laura Croft is not the gameplay. Any feature they can develop to accentuate the boobs, butt, legs, and hair is something they will add to Laura Croft titles. Remember the Laura Croft gets a wet shirt when going into water feature?

aibenq

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
maybe AMD and Square Enix will make a nice trailer, to symbolize TressFX as Shampoo, like Tresemme. and Lara Croft or Square Enix Girls like Lightning, or Yuna will become the star of those "Commercial" trailer~

X3

wonder if it's work on APU (or this Physic engine make my APU blown out????)

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Sittinduck21[/nom]I wonder how much time and money they spent just trying to make Lara's hair flap in the wind more realistically. Sometimes I find it hard to understand the priorities of game studios. Don't get me wrong, I love eye candy graphics just as much as the next person, but I would prefer to have a game where they try to balance gameplay, story-telling, graphic quality and optimization rather than have a game where they spend all their time trying to pigeon hole new (and poorly optimized) technologies that really don't add a whole lot to the game. It seems like major developers (or the publishers that pull the strings) believe that the only way to make a successful title is to cram as many gimmicks as they can into it at the cost of everything else.[/citation]
Hair (/fur/etc.) is currently one of top elements to need help to look realistic. The people working on those are not the same people who work on other game-elements.

rdc85

Honorable
"The technology would be exclusive to AMD Radeon DirectX 11 graphics cards, and only those that fall under the Gaming Evolved promotion."

actually from I know, it not exclusive so nvi card will able to use it to, but it will work better on amd cards...

anyways, hope this technology could be implement to much more games in the future...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and this will apply to PS4 too? And... OpenCL... that's multiplatform/hardware... so what's the use of nVidias Physx? Will it have the same fate as 3Dfx's Glaide? Glide waz killed by D3D and compatible hardware... Physx can be killed by OpenCL and compatible platforms...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The march of progress... Glide could only render in 16-bit colour and D3D was becoming more mature. Still, I wonder if anybody updated it to at least render in 32-bit colour once it went open source.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]This is bound to create massive PhysX vs TressFX sh*tstorms all over the internet. Yay, go AMD![/citation]

tressFX just because its not platform dependent.

[citation][nom]joecole1572[/nom]Ah. I still wouldn't rule out AMD running a check to see if you are running an nvidia card and disabling the feature if you are. It's just like how you can't run physx on a system with an AMD as the primary card and an nvidia as a physx card. The nvidia gpu can do physx...but nvidia won't let you because you bought their competitor's card.Time will tell and I'll try to be optimistic.[/citation]

Actually, you can do PhysX that way. You just have to set it up right.

Also, OpenCL/Direct Compute performs much worse on Nvidia's cards current compared to AMD, especially compared to AMD cards with Tahiti GPUs, so I doubt that it'll make much difference if AMD does block Nvidia (not that I wouldn't dislike that happening). However, since other similar OpenCL and Direct Compute features are already open to both AMD and Nvidia, granted they favor AMD for performance right now, I doubt that this feature will be locked to AMD.

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]The march of progress... Glide could only render in 16-bit colour and D3D was becoming more mature. Still, I wonder if anybody updated it to at least render in 32-bit colour once it went open source.[/citation]

32 bit color? We pretty much only use 24 bit color. Any 32 bit stuff is generally 24 bit with another 8 bits for alpha or such.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
It would be such a better world if Physx would go vendor-independent or/and Havok could also be hardware independent GPU accelerated.

We can hope ... After all, wasn't this one of the main selling points of Direct Compute in DirectX11?

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
It's a nice feature until people overdo it, then it becomes a distraction. The fur FX that simulates hair has long existed in CG, in many pre-rendered movies they tend to showcase or overemphasize the effect to make it too soft and lack tension to actually look like how hair would move in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.