AMD Will Make Hair Prettier With TressFX Shampoo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Please, can't we stick to a standard. These companies do this all time the time and in the end we the consumers get the shaft while they war. VHS vs Beta, Blue Ray vs What ever MS was backing, Open GL vs Microsucts proprietary DX and now a war within Microsucks Direct X.
Long Live Linux and Long Live Open GL, Long Live Open Document Format that has a ISO standard. Yeah MS got an ISO for their Office format after bribing and bullying the officials, the MS way.

[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]Please, can't we stick to a standard. These companies do this all time the time and in the end we the consumers get the shaft while they war. VHS vs Beta, Blue Ray vs What ever MS was backing, Open GL vs Microsucts proprietary DX and now a war within Microsucks Direct X.Long Live Linux and Long Live Open GL, Long Live Open Document Format that has a ISO standard. Yeah MS got an ISO for their Office format after bribing and bullying the officials, the MS way.[/citation]

VHS versus Betamax forced prices on the technologies down. Blue-Ray versus it's competitor, HD-DVD, gave us the *new* optical disk technology with much higher capacity. D3D and OpenGL is debatable, but it's not such a one-sided thing; the two each have their advantages and disadvantages. Bringing document formats into this seems like a stretch due to how utterly irrelevant they are to this from where I see it and I'm not sure about the truthfulness in how you portrayed MS's getting their format *ratified*.

This supposed PhysX competitor runs on Direct Compute, a well-established standard. At least in theory, it should run on any modern graphics solution that supports Direct Compute and not just AMD's cards. What is it that you are complaining about here?

[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]Doesn't seem to be any video online... and the pics are all low res - need more data.[/citation]

Did you take a look at the link at the end of the article, "For more info, check out AMD's blog."?

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

G

[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]Isn;t skyrim DX9 anyways. this is DX11 technology.[/citation]

That's true. Even though I have a DX11 GPU, the game is still DX9. Damn outdated console ports.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]joecole1572[/nom]Finally?As an AMD video card owner, I am happy that there may be a physx alternative for me. But, I wish someone would make an OpenCL physics alternative that could be run on both nvidia and AMD cards. Who knows, maybe EPIC or CRYTEK can come up with a solution so that we can have a real GPU accelerated physics based game instead of these eye candy enhancements that nvidia and AMD are selling.[/citation]
it works on both amd and nvidia cards. you might find this hard to believe but amd isn't as heartless as nividia is. or at least they cannot afford to do that given their current situation. read the article correctly before making assumptions. and yes i see nvidia as a pitch black heartless demonic entity that must be purge at all cost. just kidding. but i don't like the way PhysX is implemented to only run on nvidia gpu's and severely hamper performance if done via proc. < read carefully before unleashing the fury of a thousand akuma's.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]32 bit color? We pretty much only use 24 bit color. Any 32 bit stuff is generally 24 bit with another 8 bits for alpha or such.[/citation]
You know what I mean; alpha is always implied in these sorts of things.

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]You know what I mean; alpha is always implied in these sorts of things.[/citation]

You might be surprised. Most times 32 bit is brought up in that context in a Tom's article, the person bringing it up actually doesn't know the difference, at least from what I've seen.

redx2dth

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Actually, TressFX will be available on any GPU that's suitable to run it, not just AMD cards. AMD is trying to provide a new standard that's usable cross-platform, unlike nvidia's petty sibling rivalry with CUDA apps, APEX, and the most common annoyance; PhysX. For those of you developers who want to experiment with TressFX AMD has released the source code included in an example project for Visual C++ .NET on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.