AMD Will Sell Modified Version PlayStation 4's APU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]Wait... If The PS4's APU is the most powerful they have built to date.... What does that mean in relation to the NextBox's APU (rumored to be from AMD as well)?[/citation]
So far the leaks are suggesting that the NextBox is less powerful than the PS4. One leak suggested that it's GPU was closer to a 7770, while the PS4's is closer to a 7850, the CPU part of the APU seems to be the same for both, 8 core 1.6ghz. However, that leak also says that the basic model of the NextBox will cost about $130 less than the PS4's basic model, so it balances out in price/performance. I still hope the NextBox will have a bit more power than that, I'd love for a repeat of last gen where there is barely any noticeable graphical difference between the two, it simplifies the decision of choosing between them to just features and exclusive games. We'll have to wait for the Xbox event to get any real details unfortunately.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]soon.Basically, none of what you said made any sense at all.[/citation]
IT does, depends how you read it.
I was criticizing AMD for failing and used SONY as a chip maker/dev. as a joke.
My point was that AMD could try a bit harder so they will not have to end up making products for someone like SONY and actually use their modification to make it more powerful.
I beleive that AMD as a brand should be fully capable to make good gaming chip, yet they are not, they still need SONY's tech. AMD was making/designing chips for years they should not need SONY's help.
Furthermore, the solution to AMD having made a few mistakes over the last few years is not to stop So you are saying that those millions they had to pay because they did not fulfill their chip order/contract was money well spent?
I think complete re-think is better than making product which does not sell. AMD would not be harmed anymore if they took 1 year brake.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I think the main reason you dont see a powerhouse AMD apu is because the cpu side would hold back the gpu side. If you could have a APU that has as much cpu power as an i5, then AMD would sell those. Intel has the cpu power, but not the gpu power.

The reason the PS4 can have an AMD apu, is because consoles dont have the overhead cpu issues that PCs have, and thus the weaker cpu side will mean less.
If AMD can get the cpu side better, we could see some powerful APUs

hannibal

Distinguished
Steamroller.
Should it deliver on what's being said (45% performance increase), then it can easily match/surpass what Intel offers across the board.

Steamroller should be 15% faster than Piledriver. I think that 45% is compared to original Bulldoser. AMD can not win Intel, if it does not get somebody who can produce chips in the same level as Intell can. At this moment it means 3d 20nm production technology, and soon 14nm. Intell just have so much money to make production technology better and better that it is hard to compete with.
I have said many times that it would be nice to see AMD CPU or APU made by Intell to see how close they would actually get in the even battleground. But Intel has the production technology adwantage and it seems that it will remain that way in the near future, so this is just an academic depate.

The Jaguar and PS4 version of it are very interesting APUs. Very hig GPU power and very low power usage CPU part. Nice in gaming console, hopefullu reasonable nice in mobile environment.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]realibrad[/nom]If AMD can get the cpu side better, we could see some powerful APUs[/citation]
....................................................IF and I wish(in good-honest way).................................................
more competition, better for customers.

[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]IT does, depends how you read it.I was criticizing AMD for failing and used SONY as a chip maker/dev. as a joke.My point was that AMD could try a bit harder so they will not have to end up making products for someone like SONY and actually use their modification to make it more powerful.I beleive that AMD as a brand should be fully capable to make good gaming chip, yet they are not, they still need SONY's tech. AMD was making/designing chips for years they should not need SONY's help. Furthermore, the solution to AMD having made a few mistakes over the last few years is not to stop So you are saying that those millions they had to pay because they did not fulfill their chip order/contract was money well spent?I think complete re-think is better than making product which does not sell. AMD would not be harmed anymore if they took 1 year brake.[/citation]

No, that doesn't make sense. AMD is a company. A chip designer, to be more precise. Therefor, they need customers. Sony is a well-paying customer so long as enough Playstations get sold. It made perfect sense for AMD to get with Sony. Furthermore, Sony didn't design the chip. That was AMD. It used an AMD CPU architecture and an AMD GPU architecture. Sony didn't design the chip. That was AMD's work. AMD didn't need help from Sony.

AMD would be harmed more if they took a one year break because they literally don't have the money for it. They need to sell products and make money now, not in a year from now. They can do thinking while they make money (or at least lose less money) instead of do nothing other than think and lose everything. AMD is designing many products that sell and they'll keep designing more and more because that is what they need to do in order to survive. They can stand to lose a few million when they gain far more than that in their diversified products, at least gain compared to that one loss. They'd lose billions more instead of millions if they stood around and didn't sell anything.

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Steamroller should be 15% faster than Piledriver. I think that 45% is compared to original Bulldoser. AMD can not win Intel, if it does not get somebody who can produce chips in the same level as Intell can. At this moment it means 3d 20nm production technology, and soon 14nm. Intell just have so much money to make production technology better and better that it is hard to compete with. I have said many times that it would be nice to see AMD CPU or APU made by Intell to see how close they would actually get in the even battleground. But Intel has the production technology adwantage and it seems that it will remain that way in the near future, so this is just an academic depate.The Jaguar and PS4 version of it are very interesting APUs. Very hig GPU power and very low power usage CPU part. Nice in gaming console, hopefullu reasonable nice in mobile environment.[/citation]

Actually, Steamroller's advantage over Piledriver should be higher than that. It improves in much more important ways than Piledriver did, yet Piledriver was more than a mere 15% improvement over Bulldozer.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]NoMyFriend[/nom]Time for benchmarks:http://www.anandtech.com/show/6726 [...] -laptops/2http://www.anandtech.com/show/6508 [...] -tested/14http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/01 [...] vy-bridge/I would post more benchmarks, but just go to anandtech and see the latest benchmarks. In no way, shape, or form does AMD 'wipe the floor with Intel' in, well, ANYTHING! The only place the benchmarks are even CLOSE is when you measure an 8 core AMD CPU vs. a 4 core Intel CPU like an i3 that doesn't do hyperthreading or is painfully locked in core speed binning. Attrocious for people to try and mislead with information like that.[/citation]
As usual with Intellites, posting useless meaningless benchmarks. One of the benchmarks is comparing an A10-5800K to an i7-3770K....what the!?!...that's like comparing a Ford Edge with a Mercedes Benz C-class, totally irrelevant.
Yes, in general Intel cpus are better than AMD cpus. However, this discussion is regarding APUs, of which AMD does handly succeed in.

aznjoka

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Who cares if AMD's CPU's are on the slower side of things. The companies who are making consoles and portable machines, certainly doesn't think so. AMD makes the most efficient architectural changes in their CPU's/APU's/GPU's, than what other companies can do on a single node. This is why AMD still has it, because they certainly make the most of what they have despite their budget.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]maui67[/nom]As usual with Intellites, posting useless meaningless benchmarks. One of the benchmarks is comparing an A10-5800K to an i7-3770K....what the!?!...that's like comparing a Ford Edge with a Mercedes Benz C-class, totally irrelevant.Yes, in general Intel cpus are better than AMD cpus. However, this discussion is regarding APUs, of which AMD does handly succeed in.[/citation]
IF only ther ewas market big enoough for A10-5800K which makes some games playabel, but will not be enough next year. So it is kinda jack of all trades but good at none.
However, this discussion is regarding APUs, of which AMD does handly succeed in........................if only number could confirm what you say. Remember AMD needs to make profit and not sell some chips.
P.S. Ford Edge vs. Mercedes Benz C-class is a very bad comparison when used comparing PC/GPU chips.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
If anything, AMD should be releasing APU's that are MORE powerful.
The PS4 is a cost constrained device. People using APUs for their desktop don't have as tight price constraints...and PCs are supposed to be more powerful than lowly game console ;-)

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]If anything, AMD should be releasing APU's that are MORE powerful.The PS4 is a cost constrained device. People using APUs for their desktop don't have as tight price constraints...and PCs are supposed to be more powerful than lowly game console ;-)[/citation]
Exactly! Forget about low profit and almost non-existing segment and go full forward towards high-end where money is made.

G

Without the Sony Parts this APU will be alot less desirable; there will be no graphics optimizations to work with Sony Trinitron CRTs, it will not be able to read sony memory sticks, it can not play proprietary sony audio formats, no ability to add in a minidisc drive, and worse of all it will not bring back the feeling of bliss that was the early 90's when Sony was the 800lb gorilla.

In all seriousness, AMD getting the contract from both Sony and MS is a real victory, something AMD has worked incredibly hard for with their APUs. That is stable reliable income for the next 6-10 years. The only thing left is for Apple to do a deal with them.

G

What we need to take into account is that NONE OF US KNOW HOW THIS WILL PERFORM.

However, the anecdotal evidence suggests this is a revolutionary product. 8 x 1.6ghz cores replacing much higher clocks from previous generations, revolutionary memory bandwidth from shared GDDR5 between CPU and GPU, and the fact that every console manufacturer is choosing it indicates that nothing else available even compares.

This is reminiscent of when Mac first went x86, and chose Intel even though Intel was in 2nd place at the time. People questioned it then, but Apple obviously knew something.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Perfect Crysis 3 gaming chip if at least six cores remain, and if there's enough bandwidth for even a binned 7850. I've read that C3 does quite well on the FX CPUs compared to almost all other games due to its heavy multi-threading.

I'm interested if the binned APU ever shows up in a high performance laptop. That would rival the standard Intel + mid-range mobile GPU laptop build, potentially creating a gap in Intel's mid-high range laptop market if AMD has the proper marketing and production.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I just hope someone will find a way to remove Sony's crap from the console and allow you to boot alternate OS's from it.

I have hopes for the steambox, but until I see greater detail that is all I have for it. Running steam on Linux / Windows via a PS4 could be a viable alternative though..

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]Exactly! Forget about low profit and almost non-existing segment and go full forward towards high-end where money is made.[/citation]
If you want "all-out", go with AM3+ an discrete GPU.

With a FM2 APU, there is not enough RAM bandwidth to push GPU performance particularly high and both the CPU and GPU parts have to share the same power/cooling budget. Having both on the same piece of silicon also prevents the CPU and GPUs from being made on process tuned for their specific requirements.

Another problem with high-end APUs is demand: high-end gamers want some of the fastest CPUs with the fastest GPU and they get neither with an APU. The mid-range may be sort-of-interested. Most of the rest just need something that can display the Windows desktop.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]deathengine[/nom]Reminds me of a few years ago when PS3 initially shipped with its cell processor being touted for being so much more powerful than anything else out there, while throwing out theoretical #'s that in reality it could never produce in the real world. Marketing and hype. Though i am excited that the next gen is finally here. Now we can start to see better PC games.[/citation]
its likely that the ps3 never really got all its juice worth because of its bad coding problems. look at quantic dreams Beyond two souls game. its nearing the end of the PS3s mainstream cycle and they managed to put double the polygons in characters for this game than their last game(heavy rain) in 2010. and I think we can all agree these 2 games look amazing for such old tech. PS3 was never juiced out all it could until this game I believe, in its last mainstream year.

as for the PS4, I believe itll be juiced out more efficiently thanks to its x86 choice and all the praise developers have been giving it in the coding area. so much that developers might hit a rock in the next 4 years and say "weve done all we could with this, we need more". this might help console cycle be shorter and next gen come faster.

thats just my predictions on it though.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kitsunestarwind[/nom]I would be tempted to buy one of these new APU's once they become available[/citation]
the jaguar APU is really supposed to be for tablet/ultrabook. itll be much cheaper than the main APU lineup which will remain more powerful.

by this statement AMD released, I believe they just mean the same general design of the ps4 apu with less cores, no sony things, and slower IGP. no way in hell their going to include a 7850-like IGP in a consumer APU anytime soon.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]the jaguar APU is really supposed to be for tablet/ultrabook. itll be much cheaper than the main APU lineup which will remain more powerful.by this statement AMD released, I believe they just mean the same general design of the ps4 apu with less cores, no sony things, and slower IGP. no way in hell their going to include a 7850-like IGP in a consumer APU anytime soon.[/citation]

Label it as A10+, and make sure to mention that it has high performance in Crysis 3 because of C3's heavy multithread support.

For the engineering, reduce cores to six, give it a quad-channel 2400 MHz DDR3 RAM support (preferably DDR4), and OC it over 2 GHz.

A future $600 Tom's Hardware's gaming desktop will feature that kind of an APU. If not, then there's going to be some rumbling in the comment section.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT: And make sure it's an K edition, and give it between 100W to 150W TDP. I wouldn't mind the higher TDP as an i5 3750k is rated at 77W TDP and a Radeon HD 7850 rated at 130W TDP.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Label it as A10+, and make sure to mention that it has high performance in Crysis 3 because of C3's heavy multithread support.For the engineering, reduce cores to six, give it a quad-channel 2400 MHz DDR3 RAM support (preferably DDR4), and OC it over 2 GHz.A future $600 Tom's Hardware's gaming desktop will feature that kind of an APU. If not, then there's going to be some rumbling in the comment section.[/citation]
pretty sure its going to be labeled a "Z" processor. I think they already demoed the jaguar cores in tablets at CES called temash. next "A" series APUs will be Kaveri. and no way in hell will it actually have high performance in C3, just no. likely to be higher clocked, but less likely itll be more than 4 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.