AMD Wraith CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
good work. however, if they expect to sell more processors because of this, they will surely be disappointed.

good job noting the importance of top down coolers over tower coolers.

I think the methodology and the data shown in this review makes it a great cooling review - I hope it sets a trend!

I wonder how Crashman's old Thermalright MUX-120 might measure up?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

The cooler is more or less the same. This model was built by AVC since the 125 watts FX 62 without major changes ;)

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Maybe people will buy the AMD CPU to cool their Intels. AMD should include an Intel adapter just in case.
This review does bring some considerations towards cooling the motherboard. First it demonstrates how MSI gets its better performance, by allowing higher voltages and using higher quality capacitors. This is one of the reasons I love MSI, and one reason some MSI GPUs have burned. Second the big CPU coolers and liquid coolers don't adequately provide cooling to cheaper motherboard components. Higher end motherboards might be a different story with their large heat sinks.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Seems like this directly butts up against the Cryorig C7, which by my research does everything better. Also, if you have an Intel chip and are feeling left out by this new cooler, the C7 can massage your...worries.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The best replacement (temperatures, noise, price) is for me the Raijintek Pallas. But he has problems with higher RAM modules. The Wraith not :)

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
"From this perspective, the Wraith actually cools better, since it cools the surrounding area on the motherboard in addition to the processor. In a closed case, this problem gets even worse, since the RAM sticks cut off any airflow below a certain point."
This is actually not true if your case exhibit at least some airflow. Passive components will be better cooled in a good closed case rather than with open sides

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
It's hard not to beat their previous design, it was widely criticized for being massively incompetent. That being said, it's nice to see a better pack in cooler at the same price.

A large part of AMD cpu's value lay in overclocking. You had to buy an aftermarket cooler before the wraith, which destoyed most of the value versus an intel CPU at stock speeds on intel's stock cooler.

The wraith seems to have some headroom to overclock. I'd love to see an article on how far Tom's can push the 8370 on the wraith cooler.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Awesome review with some great IR pictures and analysis. I hope those will be the standard in future cooling reviews.

This also, of course, begs a comparative review of the most popular air & water solutions out there. (Cryorig R1/Corsair H100i/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/etc)

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
AMD should sell this cooler by itself. And make it compatible for Intel boards. This looks like a really good SFF cooler.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Ive never seen the IR images of a motherboard (I know they are out there, just never looked) so this was really interesting to see. Kinda switching my views on tower coolers now

Does anyone else feel they should have included the Hyper 212 Evo or the Cryorig H7? Since they cost only $25-35, they should be people's aftermarket coolers of choice. I don't think this Thermalright cooler is more popular than those.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The goal of a boxed cooler is the compatibility to all RAM modules and mainboard settings, AMDs own mounting system included.
It is important to minimize the assembly time (SI and OEM business) and the mounting must be secure in each case (weight of cooler, mounting, shipment).

Sam Bittermann

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
AMD did a very good job on this. I had a 860K and the fan would constantly spin up and down, even at stock MHz with turbo on. I don't think they get enough credit for the things they do right. Intel could learn from this.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Ive never seen the IR images of a motherboard (I know they are out there, just never looked) so this was really interesting to see. Kinda switching my views on tower coolers now

It is a decent image, but they need to get matte black spray paint to coat 1 side of the cooler, ad they do not work with reflective surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.