[SOLVED] AMD Wraith Max vs Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo with a 3600x

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I have a ryzen 5 3600x and the Wraith Max cooler. Aida64 produces an intemittent max temperature of 91C and an average of about 82C. Is it likely that the Arctic Freezer Esports Duo would give better results or would it be about the same?
The Arctic cooler has a spec sheet that talks about a maximum TDP of 210W but I'm not sure TDP is a clear cut idea since AMD and Intel apparantly don't agree on what it means. So, what might it mean in relation to this cooler I wonder? The 3600x has a TDP, according to AMD, of 95W.

Regards Steve

Solution
Hi,
I have a ryzen 5 3600x and the Wraith Max cooler. Aida64 produces an intemittent max temperature of 91C and an average of about 82C. Is it likely that the Arctic Freezer Esports Duo would give better results or would it be about the same?
The Arctic cooler has a spec sheet that talks about a maximum TDP of 210W but I'm not sure TDP is a clear cut idea since AMD and Intel apparantly don't agree on what it means. So, what might it mean in relation to this cooler I wonder? The 3600x has a TDP, according to AMD, of 95W.

Regards Steve
TDP is fairly arbitrary value, not measurable but calculated from electrical power used and voltages vs temperature. In addition it may be stated at idle or top load and voltages.
As...
Hi
I can't give you the technical data you are looking for but I do have a Artic 34 duo on a 2600x.
It's all in a phanteks enthoo pro ph-es614_bk case with hdd cages removed and it idles @26c and tops out on a Aida64 extreme Fpu test @74c in a 22-24c ambeint temp room,
thats with a fan curve set @
40c-45% Fan speed
60c-65%
75c-80%
It is very quite.
It was bought for a backup in case my corsair h110i went down on my 3600x but my wifes H100iv2 went 1st so It's on hers.
I would have no problem putting it on my 3600x oc'd @4.3g
Good Luck I hope this will help.

Last edited:

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi
I can't give you the technical data you are looking for but I do have a Artic 34 duo on a 2600x.
It's all in a phanteks enthoo pro ph-es614_bk case with hdd cages removed and it idles @26c and tops out on a Aida64 extreme Fpu test @74c in a 22-24c ambeint temp room,
thats with a fan curve set @
40c-45% Fan speed
60c-65%
75c-80%
It is very quite.
It was bought for a backup in case my corsair h110i went down on my 3600x but my wifes H100iv2 went 1st so It's on hers.
I would have no problem putting it on my 3600x oc'd @4.3g
Good Luck I hope this will help.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. The Arctic cooler is heavier than the Wraith Max so perhaps it will heat up more slowly and two 120mm fans should be better than one smaller one. On the other hand this '95W' 3600x does seem to run hoter than the '95W' 2600x I previously had the wraith max on. It used to idle at about 30C while with the Wraith max the 3600x idles between 36-41C depending on the room temperature.
I'm dithering but tending towards buying one, especially as they are on sale on Amazon for only £36.

Regards Steve

Hi,

Regards Steve
TDP is fairly arbitrary value, not measurable but calculated from electrical power used and voltages vs temperature. In addition it may be stated at idle or top load and voltages.
As for Wraith Max Vs. Arctic Freezer Esports Duo , no contest. Arctic wins hands down.
As is the case with all air coolers, their performance much depends on case cooling so that's another thing to address.
With 3000x series Ryzen, temps determine amount of boost and overall performance, keeping up to 70c will give you best performance. At 80-90c it's practically limited to base frequency., So yes, get that Arctic, side effect of lower temps is also less loudness.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution