Question AMD Wraith Prism Cooler turns off as soon as it touches my CPU

Apr 27, 2020
I installed the AMD Wraith Prism Cooler last week onto my brand new PC build, but I hadn't launched the PC yet since the ram hadn't arrived. Today the ram arrived and whenever I booted the PC the cpu cooler would turn on, its lights would flicker, but then it would turn off in a few seconds. After some troubleshooting I was able to figure out:

• the cpu fan header works (I plugged in another fan and it worked fine)
  • the cpu cooler works when it is not mounted on the cpu, but just plugged in and held in the air

It turns out that the cpu cooler works perfectly when it is not mounted, but as soon as its heatsink touches the cpu, it flickers and turns off again. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

First image is when the cooler is lifted above the cpu, second is when it comes in contact with the cpu.
goAC46X.jpg

inCMQcM.jpg

Apr 27, 2020
Do you see any damage to the wires such that they may be shorting out on the heatsync?

No visible damage to the wires which could be shorting out on the heatsink. At first I thought that the wire itself was broken until I took the cooler out of the case and it worked fine. Perhaps it is damaged wiring deeper within the cooler which is shorting it?

No visible damage to the wires which could be shorting out on the heatsink. At first I thought that the wire itself was broken until I took the cooler out of the case and it worked fine. Perhaps it is damaged wiring deeper within the cooler which is shorting it?
Might not be the cooler that's broken something making it stop could you take picture of the cpu socket with cpu in and also did you put thermal paste onto cpu and attached cooler on. Not attached cooler without thermal paste on cpu

Apr 27, 2020
Might not be the cooler that's broken something making it stop could you take picture of the cpu socket with cpu in and also did you put thermal paste onto cpu and attached cooler on. Not attached cooler without thermal paste on cpu

I did apply thermal paste before mounting the cooler. Here is the image of the cpu in its socket.

46k5kyL.jpg

Apr 27, 2020
Strange would it be possible to try it without having those brackets. Because something on there making it stop. Thank you for posting picture hope it gets more people to help you out.

Just tried it after removing the two brackets from each side, still turns off as soon as it makes contact with the cpu itself.

Apr 27, 2020
Update:

I borrowed another wraith prism cooler from my brother's pc and it worked fine in my PC. I concluded that the issue is a hardware issue with my wraith prism cooler itself. I will contact my retail location to see what I can do. Thanks for all your ideas!

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS