[SOLVED] AMD Wraith USB Connection not working ("Device Descriptor Request Failed")

Jan 4, 2021
Linking this post as it basically describes my situation (but without the right fix).

I have a a Ryzen 3700x with the Wraith Prism fan. I've connected the top cable into the cpu_fan1 header on my motherboard (a m450 gaming pro carbon). That's been working fine -- fan runs, get the default RGB lighting.

But now I want to customize the lighting, so I got the Wraith Prism software. Got the "plug in your CM device to get started" once the software runs. Online forums pointed towards connecting only USB 2.0 cable so I did that (the RGB cable is NOT connected).

Still get the "plug in your CM device" warning. In Device Manager it also says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". If I plug and unplug the USB 2.0 cable, I do get the Windows USB connection sound effect so I don't think my issue requires splicing as was the fix in the link above.

I even tried unplugging the fan cable at cpu_fan1 and ONLY having the USB 2.0 connected, but when I do that obviously the fan is completely off, no Windows sound effect either (ie no connection detected whatsoever).

Really confused now and not sure what else I can do to fix it. Would really appreciate help!

Solution
As in manually set the cpu fan to max speed? I don't think I can in the MSI bios. It has options such as Smart Fan Control, fan type, etc. There are 4 fan speed levels you can change, but not possible to set them all to 100
Your cooler likely uses the voltage supplied to the fan header to work the USB part. Your BIOS in turn likely brings the voltage down to slow down your fan and it is causing your trouble.
To avoid it (or cross the possibility out) you would want to create a manual profile with the fan maxed out in all temperature conditions and then test. Alternatively, you can switch fan control mode to PWM instead of voltage (if it is not already) and try again. I have seen it on water-cooling...
Jan 4, 2021
Set the fan at manual max speed in BIOS and try again.

As in manually set the cpu fan to max speed? I don't think I can in the MSI bios. It has options such as Smart Fan Control, fan type, etc. There are 4 fan speed levels you can change, but not possible to set them all to 100

Your cooler likely uses the voltage supplied to the fan header to work the USB part. Your BIOS in turn likely brings the voltage down to slow down your fan and it is causing your trouble.
To avoid it (or cross the possibility out) you would want to create a manual profile with the fan maxed out in all temperature conditions and then test. Alternatively, you can switch fan control mode to PWM instead of voltage (if it is not already) and try again. I have seen it on water-cooling systems numerous times.

Solution