AMD x6 1050t/1090t vs Intel i7-930 (rendering)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunmetal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hey,

Basically the story is that I and one other guy are discussing build workstation/rendering pc.

AMD x6 1050t/1090t vs Intel i7-930 Our fight basically is about choice of CPU :/

I say that AMD x6 cpu would because:
*cheaper for one(mobo, cpu) it takes of at least 200$ from cost of build.
*We can spend that spare money for more ram that workstations for multimedia edition so like to eat up.
*power difference between amd and intel cpu is not so big(most likely user wouldn't notice the difference).
*Intel over expensive/overkill in this case, 3way memory and HT(which gives 15-20% performance increase) anyways inst better that few more cores, especially for these kinds of takst(multimedia as I mentioned before).

His points:
*better upgrade options
*more power(on which I really dissagre, adobe or CAD programs really wouldn't care, and x6 1055t/1099t have proved to be quite a monsters for these kind of task at least by reviews).
*3way ram memory

Any comments/suggestions for our discussion?

Solution

Sigh...another i7 vs 1090T thread turned flame war. Ive done like 100 of these threads, and always come to the same conclusion:

Gaming: i7>1090T
Video Editing: 1090T>i7
Price: 1090T beats i7
Clock for Clock: i7>1090T
Stock: 1090T>i7
Overclocking: Generally a tie for max OC. AMD can generally go the highest, but thru conventional means, the i7 generally gets higher on air or water. Thats max OC, considering the i7s start lower, they obviously OC higher from stock.
Future Proof: 1090T. While it wont be AM3 compatible with BD, atleast you can put the 1090T into a AM3+ board. More...
Status
Not open for further replies.