AMD: Xbox 720 to Have Avatar-level Graphics

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoers98

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
lol AMD nice try to get people to buy your graphics cards ;p no way on earth can the xbox display 'avatar like graphics' lol i guess it can if it were a slideshow!! no thanks i would rather spend my money elsewhere say like a car...

G

The thing about graphics today is there is not as much real detail as you see to render.They use Baked Normal maps and Shader's to get a high detail look from a pretty low Tris/Polygon Model. I still have doubts on it looking like a modern movie.But i could see a large leap just in better use of shader's. I think they could even get more out of the systems we have now with a little better use of shader programming.Which i have seen a few game's doing shader's a little better as of late.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I started thinking Intel Larrabee when I read the title of the article but then I noticed "AMD" and I suspected that this was all marketing bullcrap. Seems I was right.

deicidechaos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Avatar level of detail...common, whilst in theory it could possibly be archived, not yet. To produce that much level of detail, the texture resolutions, the geometry, shaders and physics every would have to be completely custom and far more power full than any hardware released to date!!...meaning a real freaking expensive console.
But on the up side, all these gaming companies that are becoming "sell outs" or holding back and only make a cheap PC port **cough** Crytek **cough** will have a new benchmark to play with... at least until the "720" "PS4" are out of date in a year.

drn94

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
The whole point is to leave room for developers to max out the hardware just like they did with this current generation of consoles. The hardware for the 360 was bonkers at the time too and lots of people doubted it's graphical abilities. Same thing is happening here and no one ironically seems to learn from history. Stop criticizing with uneducated speculation. They know what they hell they are doing, that's why they don't hire idiots like some of you all. They want to have hardware specifically set up and optimized to display graphics, something PC aren't set the best up for. They want to get a graphics to price ratio attractive to give PC gaming a run for it's money. Speaking of money, that's what Microsoft wants. Don't act surprised by that statement. Expect the consoles to become the main gaming platform. It's market is getting larger all the time and Microsoft favors it because it's easier to control pirating and sell lots of extra shit to consumers who bought the damn thing only for games. Expect a Kinect-like user interface to be mandatory with every next console from Microsoft also. Only makes sense when you think about it. Entertainment is only going to get more cluster f*cked, get over it.

G

That's a ridiculous statement. Avatar took hundreds of artists thousands of hours to create and that's without rendering. It may look the same to the average Joe but if you have a trained eye there's no way it will even come close.

G

I love consoles to death..... But you xbox and ps3 fanboys need to get a life.....

No way in hell the shitbox 720 is going to have avatar graphics..... Unless it renders half a fragment of sand at 800x600 Resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.