News AMD Zen 4 CPU Pricing Leaked: Ryzen 9 7950X May Cost Over $800

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Agreed. I'm imagining at least waiting until DDR5 prices are more reasonable.

I'd be nice if it were, but I can see a world where AMD decides it can charge $250 for one reason or another. Was considering upgrading to AM5 from i7-4790k, but now I'm gonna wait till Raptor-Lake at least, probably until DDR5 becomes more mainstream with Zen 5? and whatever socket and Lake Intel puts out after this one that only supports DDR5.

Hopefully by then, we'll have a better price for DDR5, more maturity with AM5 motherboards, and a better idea of how future AM5 CPUs and next-gen Lakes compare with each other.

I have asked about this CPU here on the forums and basically it's still solid (even though finding benchmarks with current GPUs is not so easy), I have it. I am waiting as well, prices are all over the place (especially here in EU everything is like 10-30% higher compared to US). DDR5 is expected to come down in price in 2024 by tech magazines I read so right around the end of Windows 10, how nice.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Far too expensive and the PC market is contracting. They need to undercut Intel by $50-100 at each segment to balance for the high cost of DDR5. If they don't system builders will do the math and build cheaper Alder Lake and premium Raptor Lake systems that perform on par with Zen 4 for a couple hundred less. Maybe they can offer a DDR5 rebate or bundle?

I don't think you understand the extreme value for money. AMD chips are datacenter chips. Their mips per watt ratings are the best among all PCs, and by a wide margin (almost a 2x margin). You are getting a cool, long-lasting premium chip using state-of-the-art 5nm technology and state-of-the-art design sufficient to be the fastest processors on earth. As I speak I am typing on an "It burns my thighs" MacBook Pro 2019 which reminds me just how terrible Intel products truly are. And with 10% inflation over the past year due to the ever incompetent Jerome "It's just temporary" Powell, why can't AMD charge a 10% premium to recover the inflation price increase? I think they can.

Last edited:

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
I don't think you understand the extreme value for money. AMD chips are datacenter chips. Their mips per watt ratings are the best among all PCs, and by a wide margin (almost a 2x margin). You are getting a cool, long-lasting premium chip using state-of-the-art 5nm technology and state-of-the-art design sufficient to be the fastest processors on earth. As I speak I am typing on an "It burns my thighs" MacBook Pro 2019 which reminds me just how terrible Intel products truly are. And with 10% inflation over the past year due to the ever incompetent Jerome "It's just temporary" Powell, why can't AMD charge a 10% premium to recover the inflation price increase? I think they can.

Zen4 is not cool. Power is going up across the board. We aren't talking about Threadripper in datacenters, we are talking about PCs that do some video editing and some games. I think that AMD will certainly take the performance lead, but requiring fast (DDR5 6000) memory will break the pricing comparison.

KyaraM

Admirable
Zen4 is not cool. Power is going up across the board. We aren't talking about Threadripper in datacenters, we are talking about PCs that do some video editing and some games. I think that AMD will certainly take the performance lead, but requiring fast (DDR5 6000) memory will break the pricing comparison.
The 13900k is, according to leaked benchmarks, about 5% faster than the 12900K in games, and the 12900K is about 8-9% faster than the 5900X in games. 8+5=13%, and that is vs the 5900X, not 5950X, which is slower in gaming than the 5900X, vs AMDs claim of 11% higher performance. Min-FPS improvements are pretty drastic for Raptor with over 20%. Multi-core performance of Raptor is also greatly improved. I wouldn't be so sure about AMD taking the performance crown...

EDIT: I just compared the Geekbench score AMD showcased for the 12900K (2040) and it just plain doesn't make sense. Like, even with DDR4-3600 RAM and at stock speed, that CPU can score in the 2100-2200 single-core range, let alone with fast DDR5 RAM. There is something pretty fishy going on that kinda takes credibility away for me.

A result with DDR5-6000 RAM, one of many:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/13033656
Score 2336

With DDR4 3600 RAM:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12819949
Score 2198

There are far too many to look at them all, honestly...

Last edited: