News AMD Zen 4 Processors to Offer Integrated Graphics Across More SKUs

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Unfortunately, this might mean reduced support for ECC. I was so happy when the Ryzen supported ECC. But the APUs don't. Now I'm worried the next-gen Ryzen won't support ECC either.

AlB80

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Unfortunately, this might mean reduced support for ECC. I was so happy when the Ryzen supported ECC. But the APUs don't. Now I'm worried the next-gen Ryzen won't support ECC either.
The PRO series (including APUs) has official ECC support . So this might mean reduced unofficial ECC support only. Thus you should get the next-gen Ryzen PRO.
ps. There is a small chance that AM5/DD5 is turning point for general ECC support.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The PRO series (including APUs) has official ECC support . So this might mean reduced unofficial ECC support only. Thus you should get the next-gen Ryzen PRO.
ps. There is a small chance that AM5/DD5 is turning point for general ECC support.
Pro APU's have unofficial ECC support. ECC support has not been validated on Pro APU's, but if you have a motherboard that supports ECC memory, it should work with Pro APU's. There is no firmware error reporting, so you'll have to use a work around to determine if ECC is actually working properly and not just reporting that it has been enabled.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Thus you should get the next-gen Ryzen PRO.

Unfortunately, the pro isn't sold retail.

So I might just have to stick with ThreadRipper.

I recently built a ThreadRipper Pro with 512 GB of RAM - 8x64.

I was hoping that with DDR5 topping at 128 GB per module, I might be able to someday build a computer with a consumer-grade CPU and motherboard, with 4x128 GB. But maybe I'll have to stick with ThreadRipper for the ECC.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
There is no firmware error reporting, so you'll have to use a work around to determine if ECC is actually working properly and not just reporting that it has been enabled.

For what it's worth: with my Ryzen 7 2700X + Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi + Kingston ECC UDIMM, I successfully verified ECC.

I overclocked my RAM just short of failing to POST. Then I ran Memtest86 Pro. Within a few seconds of starting the test, it reported dozens of corrected ECC errors.

I am not sure if Windows WHEA would have reported them, but I assume it would have, since Memtest86 knew they were corrected ECC errors.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
For what it's worth: with my Ryzen 7 2700X + Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi + Kingston ECC UDIMM, I successfully verified ECC.

I overclocked my RAM just short of failing to POST. Then I ran Memtest86 Pro. Within a few seconds of starting the test, it reported dozens of corrected ECC errors.

I am not sure if Windows WHEA would have reported them, but I assume it would have, since Memtest86 knew they were corrected ECC errors.
Memtest86 is one of the third party workarounds to verify if ECC is actually working on Ryzen platforms. It should be noted, that no consumer Ryzen CPU including the Pro versions officially support ECC. Some unofficially support it, and some don't at all.

Reactions: prtskg