AMD's Bulldozer Pushed to 8.46 GHz, Breaks Own Record

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I would love to see a Bulldozer vs i7-2600k and i5-2500k comparison using SLI 580's instead of single card solutions on a variety of popular games. Every review I've seen has been lacking.

Starcraft 2, Crysis, Crysis 2 (with DX11 and High Res Texture pack), Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Metro, AVP, etc.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Hopefully, at least AMD will manage to make their chips priced well. Right now, they aren't compared to the Phenom II X6. Also, they need to fix their chip fab problems. That probably isn't helping Bulldozer any
[citation][nom]wolfram23[/nom]The problem isn't that it can't assign tasks to all 8 cores, the problem is that it doesn't know that it should fill up cores 1, 3, 5, 7 before assigning 2, 4, 6, 8.[/citation]
Actually, in Bulldozer's case, pack as much into cores 1-4 so that they can get turbo boosted instead of spreading it out.

shinkueagle

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
BD is not optimized for... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH... SO WHY THE FUCK DID THEY MAKE A PROCESSOR THAT WAS HIGHLY OPTIMIZED IN THE FIRST PLACE.... Just like Intel? Im sorry I WAS an AMD fanboy before... But as I said before, I have TOTALLY forgotten what AMD stands for already!

Absurdly Moronic Devices?

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
any brand of processor nowadays can be set to achieve < 10GHz while IDLING. please, stress it with some application and see if it can stand ;-)

kevith

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well, I don´t think there has ever been a product so hyped and anticipated, that has been so disappointing.

AMD should stick to graphics cards, one begins to understand why they bought ATI: To stay in business.

This could be the beginning of the end for AMD. Which is sad, it would have been nice with some competition. Which obviously isn´t there anyway

What a pathetic and hollow marketing stunt with a new world record in useless waste of energy.

kevith

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Still advocating for AMD processors are a bit like the people in the 1920´s, that kept on - equally unreal - advocating for gaslight instead of electric:)))

hornetmax

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
It also seems that the new BD is about to set the new world record in the category "maximum height the CPU can be dropped from without breaking". Great !

it's not exactly shunned. people who decided to buy bulldozer(mostly hardcore fans and oc'ers) are buying bulldozer. amd didn't make a large number of bd desktop cpus so it might seem like they're sold out in places despite their unreasonably higher price compared to intel's cpus.
amd's biggest profits are still coming from llano mobile cpus and gpus.
people who buy things hardly let other people's opinions affect them.

goatsetung

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]my god all the AMD fanboys defending bulldozer sound like the old intel fanboys that defended the Pentium 4 back in the day.it was sad then and it is even more sad now[/citation]

Really? All I see is flaming. The fact that it's underwhelming doesn't make it shit.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i want to see how bd perform when running the heavy cpu intensive emulators like dolphin and pcsx2. with the support for all the intel instruction sets, it should be able to leverage the faster emulator graphic plugins. also, tom should do a software render test, set to 8 cores with BD to see how many fps without the gpu's help.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I would be excited to see a core bed, a grid that is on a board and a modular segmentation of memory channels so a pc can grow into a super server for 3d rendering and video editing, not to mention physics simulations. otherwise, we have reached a nice goal of gaming realism right now, wouldn't you agree? things like $1500 dual sandwiched 580s and 6990s are just lame over gluttonous bottlenecked mutants. the middle ground is where it's at, oc a bit and then change generations when you can. imo.

it is *** because bulldozer was supposed to be AMD's flagship CPU's (at least that is what the hype made it out to be) now all bulldozer is good for is low end computers like the rest of there CPU's

kogashuko

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Classic AMD. Make something that doesnt work and expect everyone else to rewrite their stuff to make it work. They do that with their graphics drivers (hell their update broke netflix playback last year and their response was flash needs to update their software.) Wakeup AMD make something that works with what is already out there.

f-14

Distinguished
once software is written for more cores start adding them, please raise the clock rates up first until then.
anybody putting out any chip that doesn't run stock 4+GHZ is a fail in my book, right now all these chips should atleast be pushing 6GHZ stock factory settings.
no excuses.

so you are saying that AMD is the only ones that make multi core CPU's?LOL really? how do you know if they start making multi core software that intel will still not kick AMD's ass

FAIL :hello:

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]kevith[/nom]Well, I don´t think there has ever been a product so hyped and anticipated, that has been so disappointing.[/citation]

From a sensible and realistic AMD fan, I'd have to agree with this part of your statement. The way they handled the marketing and the subsequent reality of the poor performance in the benchmarks really felt like a slap in the face to a lot of people on both sides -- blue or green. They knew they had an under performer and they sold it to us like the next best thing since sliced bread. It's left a real bitter taste in my mouth.

Hopefully they'll address the architectural and design issues with the layout of the chip rather than simply bumping up the stock clock speed with Piledriver, though with the way they've handled the release and design of the bulldozer I can say that I'm not very hopeful.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Bulls***Dozer
fanboys waiting for the s*** to hit the fan, c'moon boyz!
Pile of s*** Driver coming next (AND notice the bad GPU drivers)
Finally Steaming s*** Rolling down to bury AMD
R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.