AMD's China Division Executive Departs Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
AMD GPU are doing pretty well, I hope the crappy CPU do not affect the GPU development.

I hate to see the profit from GPU goes to pay CPU expenses.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Man them days seem to be gone.. AMD why did you slack off?

I mean you had intel by the balls with the 64's.

Ah well. At least intel is still supplying us with more powerful CPU's despite the lack of competition.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]zeratul600[/nom]so has amd stock reach rock bottom? do i buy now¿?[/citation]

Nah, keep shorting.*

* Shorting is where you bet that the stocks will go down by borrowing the stocks, then selling them at the current price, then pay back the stocks when the prices drop.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Man them days seem to be gone.. AMD why did you slack off?I mean you had intel by the balls with the 64's. Ah well. At least intel is still supplying us with more powerful CPU's despite the lack of competition.[/citation]

intel effectivly killed amd through a monopoly, and amd never really recovered.
right now we should be seeing a 50/50 market share considering that amd was FAR out preforming intel for a while, but amd never made the money because intel said if people use amd for anything they lose the bulk discounts form them.

hell even today, amd is a great value but they still cant get over 10% market share for some reason.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]intel effectivly killed amd through a monopoly, and amd never really recovered. right now we should be seeing a 50/50 market share considering that amd was FAR out preforming intel for a while, but amd never made the money because intel said if people use amd for anything they lose the bulk discounts form them. hell even today, amd is a great value but they still cant get over 10% market share for some reason.[/citation]it is more like the management kill amd itself. not really Intel's fault. the guys who design the awesome Ahtlon64 are all over Apple, and other place.

besides bulldozer should have complete with Core2 quad Q9000/Nehelem and it is delayed again and again.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Intel will always produce more powerful processors because that's what keeps the ball rolling.

I don't know why people think that Intel has or will have a monopoly on the chip market, or think thats a bad thing if they do have a monopoly, which they effectively had for a very long time by the way.

The chip market is not like any other market, you have to continuously improve the product otherwise you peeter out and die... sorta like what happened to AMD, CYRIX, and others btw....

Intel makes the best... thats why they are king. Sometimes they do produce a dud, but they adapt and overcome... thats what makes them great.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Intel will always produce more powerful processors because that's what keeps the ball rolling.I don't know why people think that Intel has or will have a monopoly on the chip market, or think thats a bad thing if they do have a monopoly, which they effectively had for a very long time by the way.The chip market is not like any other market, you have to continuously improve the product otherwise you peeter out and die... sorta like what happened to AMD, CYRIX, and others btw....Intel makes the best... thats why they are king. Sometimes they do produce a dud, but they adapt and overcome... thats what makes them great.[/citation]people are paraniod. brace urself u'll get thumb down for this.

they fear the cheapest Pentium will sell @ i3 price or i3 selling @ i5 price, but they forgot Intel cannot be greedy & make desktop/laptop expensive when the ARM is attack its market right now.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Bulldozer wow...
Before it was released, I figure it was way overhyped.

A friend of mine was debating getting an i7-980X. This was early 2011 and the CPU was used; a relative of his had it. Anyway the concern was Bulldozer would decimate everything. I was doubtful and he did end up getting it. But unbelievable, that CPU is almost 3 years old now and it still ranks near the top! Bull.... what?

One bad product can destroy a company. I know it's not the only issue, but's frig...
And AMD's troubles suck for the whole industry and consumers. Intel does need some competition.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Thats not true. The lead designer of AMD's most successful CPUs is back with the company.[/citation]he is not part of the team who design the faildozer. Bulldozer isnt that bad had it not been delayed & if they release @ core 2 duo/nehelem transition time.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Bulldozer was a complete redesign... of the previous Bulldozer design. That's the main reason it was delayed - they simply tore the plans up and started anew.

Anyway, I think people forget that Phenom II pretty much saved AMD; its higher clocks, larger L3 cache and reduced power consumption helped alleviate some of the pain they had to ensure as a result of the overhyped, underperforming Phenom. Despite having a narrower front end than Core 2, it was still comparable.

One thing I always found amusing was that people cursed AMD for not sticking with the K8-based architecture longer thus bypassing Bulldozer, yet there were calls for the existing architecture to be phased out as soon as possible before even Thuban was released. In the end, Bulldozer is the way AMD are going and it'll make a lot of sense eventually. It was massively overhyped (can anyone remember "50% faster than the i7-950"?) and in hindsight, it's no wonder there weren't any official previews, but it could've been worse. :)

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Amd's cpu's are an absolute joke, they have only just caught up with intels 2008 i7's and even then clock for clock they fail against them and the power usage is sky high. I owned a x2 4800 939 socket cpu and it was wicked back in the day but those days are over and since im a gamer i would not touch amd cpus. even if some one gave me one i would throw it back in there face and yell 'jam this peice of sh*t up ya'

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]natoco[/nom]and even then clock for clock they fail against them[/citation]
Clock-for-clock equivalence is not important in itself since lower IPC can be compensated with higher clock.

The real problem is that AMD's chips do not clock that much higher and do so at high TDP cost. If AMD could produce quad-core chips clocked at ~5GHz stock that could compete with the performance and TDP of a stock i5-3570 then everybody would be happy.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
AMD is going down because all the monies are at the top where the exec's are. Nothing new on roadmap that I read that will compete. Making a processor that is less energy efficient, performs subpar to it's competitor and making it a few bucks cheaper isn't incentive enough to invest in. I have all AMD systems and next year... gotta go with Intel so sad for AMD. They are like the zebra, prey not predator and desperately trying to stay alive.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]people are paraniod. brace urself u'll get thumb down for this.they fear the cheapest Pentium will sell @ i3 price or i3 selling @ i5 price, but they forgot Intel cannot be greedy & make desktop/laptop expensive when the ARM is attack its market right now.[/citation]

Toootal bullsh*t dude, what the hell does ARM has to do with desktop/laptop processors?
Jeez, seems that today anyone makes up crappy arguments for trashing AMD, when they did not that bad of a job, even with bulldozer

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]natoco[/nom]Amd's cpu's are an absolute joke, they have only just caught up with intels 2008 i7's and even then clock for clock they fail against them and the power usage is sky high. I owned a x2 4800 939 socket cpu and it was wicked back in the day but those days are over and since im a gamer i would not touch amd cpus. even if some one gave me one i would throw it back in there face and yell 'jam this peice of sh*t up ya'[/citation]
And the Nehalem i7s didn't use a lot of power? Really?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Man them days seem to be gone.. AMD why did you slack off?I mean you had intel by the balls with the 64's. Ah well. At least intel is still supplying us with more powerful CPU's despite the lack of competition.[/citation]

AMD never slacked off, Intel just used it's massive cash reserves, along with our broken system, to screw AMD royally in the ass.

As much as I can approve of the technological developments Intel have done in the past years. I can't help but wonder what else would of been developed had AMD not been screwed over.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I worked there the past 9+ years (Austin and Markham/Toronto); in general, it was never an issue on the design and innovation side, but on the process and manufacturing is where AMD struggled. Intel process technology is solid and didn't get in the way.

therealcold187

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Toootal bullsh*t dude, what the hell does ARM has to do with desktop/laptop processors?Jeez, seems that today anyone makes up crappy arguments for trashing AMD, when they did not that bad of a job, even with bulldozer[/citation]

Azra where in the world do you think tha ARM is not a threat to Intel? They are now moving into the server space that is Intel Bread and Butter. They make there money off of xeons mostly not our home CPU's. ARM is what powers all the tablets that are selling like hotcakes right now. Alot of people instead of buying a PC these days are buying tablets. Hardcore enthusiast PC is a very small market. I'm not saying ARM will ever replace Intel as that will never happen. But to say ARM has nothing to do with desktop and laptops is really small minded. Windows 8 RT just came out and that will make the way for ARM to be desktop and laptop a option in the very short future. Nobody wanted to use android or chrome OS but people that don't know much about PC in genral will be willing to buy cheaper laptops and desktop with arm cpu down the road. Even Apple has thought about switching to ARM in the future on there desktop. Apple don't care about anybody as they ditch IBM just like they will ditch Intel one day so ARM is very possible the future for apple down the road.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Toootal bullsh*t dude, what the hell does ARM has to do with desktop/laptop processors?Jeez, seems that today anyone makes up crappy arguments for trashing AMD, when they did not that bad of a job, even with bulldozer[/citation]Hardcore enthusiast PC/laptop is a very small market, Intel/AMD doesnt make CPU center around u. The world doesnt evolve around u. Just because u are sticking with x86 doesnt mean everyone else gonna be. The stagnant desktop sales, slowing laptop sales is showing what is happening now. windows 8 also has ARM now.

the casuals(majority market) are moving to mobile these days, if Intel monopoly make desktop/laptop ridiculous expensive, people would have just use tablet/arm nettops/ARM PC, that will make the transition faster.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Actually, AMD market share is low because of corporate customers. like majority software developers can't afford switch to AMD because most of clients are using intel, and those clients won't be going to AMD becaue it is too expensive to swich all software to AMD. for AMD only hope in this market is with new players who would go with AMD instead of intel because of price, then if we would get more of them we would see more developers using AMD and there market would grow. And casual ( home PC users) are still minority in the market.

Sorry about bad english.

Status
Not open for further replies.