News AMD's Data Center Sales Set Records, Consumer Products Disappoint

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
This is about as good as it gets for AMD and the drop in consumer CPU/GPU will continue and perfectly understandable.

1. The exceptionally high demand for CPU and GPU was fuelled largely by COVID. So that demand has pretty much ended and most people still have their systems which is around 2yrs old. So, not many pple will be upgrading.

2. Inflation and economy uncertainty.

Data center sales is expected. Since these servers are part of business continuity, they are subjected to regular refresh intervals. Cloud demand is also ever increasing and alot less affected by covid.

Reactions: prtskg and Makaveli
It's interesting to see their consumer side lose (edit: make less?) a bit of money, but not surprising. Intel has been playing the right cards to exploit their weakness in their overall strategy. Data center though, they're growing very nicely.

Still, a long long way from being remotely close to Intel, lol.

Regards.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
In the world of virtualization (which are used by most data center), number of core is significant factor followed by power efficiency. No matter how good Intel processor are, if they can keep up the number of core per processor and power per core ratio, they will loose to AMD.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
It's interesting to see their consumer side lose (edit: make less?) a bit of money, but not surprising. Intel has been playing the right cards to exploit their weakness in their overall strategy. Data center though, they're growing very nicely.

Still, a long long way from being remotely close to Intel, lol.

Regards.

Its expected and not due to Intel. Both companies have much lower sales compared to previous year for obvious reasons. As I mentioned in my post, COVID created exceptionally high demand for consumer CPUs/GPUs. So it's going to be quiet now. And then inflation + uncertainty in economy will dampen things further.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
In the world of virtualization (which are used by most data center), number of core is significant factor followed by power efficiency. No matter how good Intel processor are, if they can keep up the number of core per processor and power per core ratio, they will loose to AMD.

That's why Intel is moving away from this model of general purpose CPUs. We are all waiiting to see what sapphire rapids can do.

Apr 1, 2020
After some of the things they pulled (Zen 3 on X370 backtrack, duff 5950Xs that don't perform to specs, elimination of Threadripper, horrid product segmentation of Socket AM5, etc...) I'm very pleased at this result and hope the downward trend continues. This coming from a previous 20 year AMD fan.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Its expected and not due to Intel. Both companies have much lower sales compared to previous year for obvious reasons. As I mentioned in my post, COVID created exceptionally high demand for consumer CPUs/GPUs. So it's going to be quiet now. And then inflation + uncertainty in economy will dampen things further.

Not to mention the Crypto winter and the Ethereum move away from GPU proofing which fell under the consumer category durning those times as well. It's really a double whammy on the consumer end for AMD.

Reactions: prtskg
Before continuing: I never was a "fan" of any company -I buy whatever covers my needs at best price/performance ratio (as far my wallet allows).
After some of the things they pulled (Zen 3 on X370 backtrack, duff 5950Xs that don't perform to specs, elimination of Threadripper, horrid product segmentation of Socket AM5, etc...)
-no idea what you're talking about. To me, it looks like you pulled some "negatives" from elsewhere.
As far I can read, Zen3 was the most succesful AMD CPU ever (and actually still is) and those who decided for 5950X seems to be quite happy.
IMHO, classic Threadripper has become obsolete with introduction of latest AMD/Intel CPU's. And those who really need more than 16 cores (are you the one?) can decide for Threadripper Pro.
AM5 socket... I don't understand what you mean with "segmentation".
I'm very pleased at this result and hope the downward trend continues. This coming from a previous 20 year AMD fan.
-you do realize how childish that sounds, right?

Bogdan

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Intel's 7nm Raptor Lake is already more power efficient than AMD Zen 4, in the next generation, Meteor Lake will be even more power efficient than AMD's 5nm chips.
AMD's PC revenue is down 60% from last quarter, while Intel only goes down by 20%, mainly because of Intel has better performance and valued products. AMD's data center was able to maintain $1.6B because Intel Sapphire Rapids is delayed, but it will come in Jan. 2023, from there, AMD's data center product will go down just like the PC share to go down. Intel is moving faster than TSMC/AMD in product design; this situation will be become clearer in a year or so, as Intel move to 2nm design and getting more customer design wins.

Intel's 7nm Raptor Lake is already more power efficient than AMD Zen 4, in the next generation, Meteor Lake will be even more power efficient than AMD's 5nm chips.
AMD's PC revenue is down 60% from last quarter, while Intel only goes down by 20%, mainly because of Intel has better performance and valued products. AMD's data center was able to maintain $1.6B because Intel Sapphire Rapids is delayed, but it will come in Jan. 2023, from there, AMD's data center product will go down just like the PC share to go down. Intel is moving faster than TSMC/AMD in product design; this situation will be become clearer in a year or so, as Intel move to 2nm design and getting more customer design wins.
No, it is not more efficient. Raptor Lake is behind Zen4 in efficiency. Sure, a small difference in favour of AMD, but still in favour of AMD.

Regards.

Reactions: SunMaster
Intel's 7nm Raptor Lake is already more power efficient than AMD Zen 4...
Raptor lake is more efficient (less power consuption) in idle and low load situations -difference is small though, but it exist. On heavy/multicore load, AMD is more efficient -which can easily be observed on max power consumption.
So.. what were you saying?

..in the next generation, Meteor Lake will be even more power efficient than AMD's 5nm chips.
-speculations serve no purpose.

AMD's PC revenue is down 60% from last quarter, while Intel only goes down by 20%, mainly because of Intel has better performance and valued products.
AMD had quite good (above average) results in previous quarter, while Intel results were.. so-so. That is, Intel results couldn't really go down by much. In short, one can't compare AMD/Intel success just by looking at quarter up/down percentages.
But then, who cares who makes more money -we wish better product for less money.

...Intel is moving faster than TSMC/AMD in product design; this situation will be become clearer in a year or so, as Intel move to 2nm design and getting more customer design wins.
Do you mind to tell where from you got this info? Well, "in a year or so" can be quite stretchy, so it's irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Intel or AMD (or whatever) company hater. They all have good and bad times, ups and downs.. And if it would matter, I wish them all success -that gives more competition, hence better consumer pricing.

Bogdan

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
This is about as good as it gets for AMD and the drop in consumer CPU/GPU will continue and perfectly understandable.
  1. The exceptionally high demand for CPU and GPU was fuelled largely by COVID. So that demand has pretty much ended and most people still have their systems which is around 2yrs old. So, not many pple will be upgrading.
  2. Inflation and economy uncertainty.

I avoided upgrading during Covid, with the exception of buying two 32" monitors (aging eyes, hard to read schematics and code). Would have grabbed Ryzen/Radeon, but AMD was pricing too high at the top end. I don't build computers frequently, so when I do, it's generally very close to top of the line of what is avaialble so that it stays relevant for many years. (I got many years out of previous high end Haswell and Ivy-Bridge builds!)

I expect to pay about $500usd for a top of the line CPU 6 months after it's launch... So Ryzen R9-7950X has to come down in price. I also am unwilling to pay more htan $500usd for a top of the line Discrete Video Card 6 months after it's launch... so Radeon RX-7950XT will have to come down in price.

Intel's pricing and nVidia's performance might make both of those pricepoints a reality for me as the industry slows down Feb 2023 / Mar 2023 (christmas rush over... reality of paying off credit cards and paying taxes begins to sink in).... Now about those motherboards? Might have to pass on a X670E AM5 board and go with a B650E AM5 board instead.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

I believe you've played this particular tune before, and I don't understand how you are reaching these conclusions. First of all, it's been shown that Raptor Lake is not more energy efficient than Zen 4, though it is perhaps a little closer than before. But this is only when looking at the CPU as a whole. The 13900K for example still only has 8 'performance' cores. Those cores must either be atrociously bad when it comes to power consumption on complex multi-core tasks, or the 'efficiency' cores aren't being as efficient as we're led to believe. Otherwise, 8 Raptor cores are using far more power than 16 Zen 4 cores.

The processors that really count for truly complex tasks (servers) only use so-called performance cores (for the moment), so power efficiency metrics between servers and consumers cannot be compared.