AMD's Dual GPU Radeon HD 5970 is Fastest Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
They named it the 5970 and it has underclocked 5870 gpus. Think when/if they go through a die shrink or get the power a little more under control they will release a 5990 with GPUs that are under clocked? eh eh?

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
You're going to need a lot of room in your case to fit this thing in. I doubt it'll fit in any mid tower case. Also you better be running more than one monitor, otherwise there will be power you won't be able to use.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have a full tower case and want 2 of these with display port connectors for my 6x 24inch dell lcd's, but at $1200 for 2 of them... I can wait, I think $650 for 2 of them and I might bite.

G

It's so long that you need to saw a hole in the back of your computer case for it to fit! :D

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I love the sleeper GPU when system is idle or not gaming. ATI is really showing how green they are this time around. To bad I already own two Vapor-X 5870's. Hehe

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I hope they start making motherboards that ANTICIPATE 2-slot video cards. My ASUS MB has one 4x PCiE that is now covered by half of my GTX285. Maybe the next computer I buy/build will have something less unique to cover up with one of these...

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
all credit to ati , but just wait for dual fermi . fermi has the same excitement as 8 series launch , of the major architectural change , but still how that will effect gaming performance remains to be seen .

hannibal

Distinguished
Well I would like to see 5870 using the same vapor chamber cooling unit like this... It would be overkill for cooling, but the temperatures from the 5970 are guite good for a monster like that!
It would be smaller than this one, maybe even quieter and still fast enough for me at this moment. Maybe 2Gb memory for later crossfire upgrade?

G

Heh worlds fastest super computer = 1.7 peta flops. It uses over 200,000 cpus. You could match that with 360 of these cards...tho nothing ever scales perfectly, it would likely take at least 500 of these cards. With quad sli nodes it would only be like 150 nodes to match the performance

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
"Nearly 5 teraflops" is misleading and inaccurate, you guys know this.

It's 4.3, far from "Nearly 5" and two total 8.6, which would be a stretch to call "nearly 9" let alone "nearly 10". Would you really call anything that reaches 86% of its target "nearly" there? A single 5870 1gb offers around 86% of the performance, does that make it nearly the same?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]ughh I love that they make such an awesome card, but HATE HATE HATE catalyst software!!![/citation]
I agree but this would be a killer set up on a i7 rig, home built of coarse from either Tiger Direct or New Egg, both are good.
Sadly, the need for killer gaming rigs is a thing of the past because game studios have abandoned the PC as the primary platform in favour of the kiddie console market. The PC games are now port jobs (sometimes horribly done) that will run on any mediocre PC with a dedicated graphics card. I guess you can't blame them for going where the money is at. But I still refuse to believe the game studios lie that pirates are the reason the PC games are going down. It's a new generation of gamers that don't appreciate what a good gaming rig can do and/or it is a bunch of spoiled brats with Crapbox 360 and Crapstation 3 set-ups begging and whining, mommie, mommie I want that game now, waaaaaa.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
TH: Please ban any any comments that ask that same old worn-out question: "Yeah, but can it play Crysis?"

If you don't know, then you're an idiot.

enista

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
LOL in time for the holidays, not a single us retailer has anyting above a 5770 in stock actually i see only 3 5770s in stock on amazon lol. how about you try to get product on to shelves before talking about holiday sales, or is he talking about 2010 idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.