News AMD's EPYC Rome Chips Crash After 1,044 Days of Uptime

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
This isn't that big of a deal. I mean, sure, it could suck for some, but all you have to do to ensure that this isn't an issue is disable the CC6 sleep mode or do a system reboot once every three years.

Data centres and supercomputers tend to upgrade their tech pretty regularly because of the energy savings involved with newer tech. They might have to do this reboot, at most, twice in the lifetime of their system. It doesn't take long before older tech starts becoming unprofitable.

May 11, 2023
Looks like this just isn't AMD's year for anything technology-related. First, the Ryzen 7000X3D CPUsburning out, now these "hangs" (with NO FIX PLANNED? WTF?); instead, essentially "turn it off, and back on again"?

AMD's becoming a damn joke these days. Guess I'll just stick to Intel...and yes, I know, Intel has its' share of problems, too...

Looks like this just isn't AMD's year for anything technology-related. First, the Ryzen 7000X3D CPUsburning out, now these "hangs" (with NO FIX PLANNED? WTF?); instead, essentially "turn it off, and back on again"?
Considering this issue has an extremely easy work around I wouldn't expect a fix. Not to mention that Rome came out 3.5 years ago so why would they go and make a new silicon layout for a chip that is out of date? Overall your post just seems to be an attempt to shame AMD and make Intel look better for fanboyism.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Looks like this just isn't AMD's year for anything technology-related.
They seem to be doing fine. No layoffs, unlike Intel.

First, the Ryzen 7000X3D CPUsburning out,
How many did that ever happen to?

now these "hangs" (with NO FIX PLANNED? WTF?); instead, essentially "turn it off, and back on again"?
Rome launched in 2019, probably leading to their thinking that if you didn't already hit this, you'll likely upgrade before you do. Datacenter upgrade cycles are usually 3-4 years, I think. If the issue were in Milan or Genoa, I'm pretty sure the response would be different.

AMD's becoming a damn joke these days.
Their server market share has been taking off like a rocket.
cnsJrNvodEhWZPvSTRgQNQ.png

If AMD is a joke, Intel is surely the punchline.

Reactions: jeremyj_83