AMD's New 780G Chipset Has Powerful GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockwell73

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
I would like to know can i run a video card with this mother board,with all the high demand for great video quality in these new video games such as Crysis, BioShock, Jericho and many others that require a high end video card how am i suppose to play these games without one

G

You just put in any PCI-E video card in the X-16 slot. With the appropriate processor and beefy enough video card, games are not a problem. The real beauty is that the onboard video is plenty for casual, older games at acceptable rates and also makes for a great low power HD media center computer.

dotroy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I do not get it, how come 2600XT is more faster than 3450 ? I thought 3450 is newer than 2600XT. Please explain

gerro1977rm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
What about the northbridge overheating issue everyone is talking about? I've bought this board only to find out it has idle temps of 80C at the northbridge. I'm planning on buying an after market cooler to stabilize it.

G

gerro1977,

What revision is your board? I just received this board and it's the new revision 1.1 which has a bigger heatsink (you can see the pictures from the gigabyte site for both revisions 1.0 and 1.1). I am getting my CPU soon and want to also check the northbridge temperatures. What can I use to measure the temps?

Thanks

G

I'm cooling my G780 on GA-MA78GM-S2H rev1.0 with additional pentium 3 box coller heatsink (fits perfectly) and radeon 3450 with p3 box fan :) - it works fine

G

Does anyone know if the radeon HD4850 works on this board with hybrid graphics and crossfire.

gerro1977rm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Deleted Profile 06/23/2008 7;12 AM,

Unfortunately, I'm using the rev 1.0 board. I fitted it with an HR05 heatsink from thermalright and its now just warm to the touch not hot. I'm using everest to monitor my temps. Aux now registers at 37 C, though I'm not really sure if its the NB temp. You can also use riva tuner among others.

V3ctor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have a ASUS M3A78 EHM HDMI and I have a temperature of only 33ºc with my X2 BE-2350... I'm going tu put a HD3450, but i have a doubt... If i'm only in 2D graphics (like the desktop) the board switches to the HD3200? And when I need power does it "switch" to HD3450?

kingsize566

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I have a GA780...DS3H rev1.0 (ATX) and the northbridge heatsink is large but made of some cheap light zinc alloy - waste of time IMHO, 70+ degrees and memory errors - but only when using a PCIex16 graphics card. The problem eased when I added a 40mm fan on top of the rubbish heatsink. I wrote to gigabyte about the issue, who said - tampering with the heatsink invalidates your warranty. Sounds like they're burying their head in the sand over the issue. According to some posts on SPCR, and here, the thermaltake HR05 replacement fits.

I would question the QA process of a mobo manufacturer who offers not only a poor heatsink design, but a 4 phase mosfet unable to cope with the TDP of some of the higher power phenoms (see Tomshardware and Anandtech). The 780 board by XFX has a heatpipe solution on the mosfets and northbridge which looks like a better design, and similar price (cheaper if you count having to replace the deficient heatsink by Gigabyte). The Asus M3A78 possibly has a better heatsink on the northbridge.

monkeystomp6

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hello I have a Gateway GT5694 with an ATI radeon 3200 onboard and I picked up a PCI-e ATI 3450. I cant get it to run 4 monitors like I need it to. Both cards are installed in the device manager but the 3200 is not showing up on my monitors. Im at whitts end on what to do. From what iv read this is suppose to work. What bios settings should i have GPX-INGFX-GPP-GP0

there are 4 options with them in different orders. Do i enable CF like some say? I cant find Cross fire enable though Please help me!!

V3ctor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I can't remember how i put the graphics setting on the bios, but as soon as I connected the HD3450, the Catalyst Control Center automatically made a crossfire between the 3200 and the 3450. And in the Catalyst Control Center only appears the HD3450... it's like the HD3200 vanished. Search in the Displays Manager and switch the resolution for each one of your monitors.

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]dotroy[/nom]I do not get it, how come 2600XT is more faster than 3450 ? I thought 3450 is newer than 2600XT. Please explain[/citation]
2600XT for mid range gfx Profile while 3450 are low cost profile gfx .

jealousfraud

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Great Post! For anyone who doesn't understand how to setup Multiple Monitors, here are a few tips:

The Three main ways to Setup Multiple Monitors

1) You can buy a pre-manufactured multiple monitor computer. The best place to purchase a multiple monitor computer is at:
Multi-Monitors.com. They carry a multi-monitor computer line called SUPER-PC that can support from 2 to 12 monitors.

Multi-Screen Computer Systems

Multiple Monitor LCD Displays

2) You can get a USB to VGA Adapter, or USB to DVI Adapter that will allow you to add an extra monitor to your computer
via any USB2.0 Port. You can also add multiple extra monitors by using multiple adapters. This is a great option for viewing
documents, surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and many other business tasks. This is not a good option for intense
graphical situations such as HDTV, Blu-ray, Gaming and 3D / CAD Workstation applications. For those types of scenarios,
it is highly recommended that you purchase a high-powered multi-monitor workstation or a Matrox Dual or Triple Head2Go.

Multiple Monitor Adapters

3) You can replace or add an extra video card to your existing computer, depending on how many monitors you wish to support.
Although this sounds easy enough, this is a rather complex solution for a beginner, especially when trying to find a compatible
graphics card. For this reason, I am going to write an entirely seperate post on that topic and will link to it here, very soon.

Multi-Monitor Graphics Cards

Once you have your multiple monitor system set up and ready to use, you will need to enable all of your monitors in
your “Display Properties” Control Panel. Here is a great link to a complete and animated walkthrough of how to enable
your multiple monitors in Windows.

How to Setup Multiple Monitors (Instructions)

This is what it will look like when you are done:

Multi-Monitor Video Demo 1
Multi-Monitor Video Demo 2

alykh96

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I have AMD 780G chipset and tried to overclock the GPU core to 950MHz from bios (GFX engine override) the PC can't even boot up I realized then that the chipset heats up so I lowered the overclock to 750Mhz , the same time
I accessed my user on windows......BSOD it's working on 625MHz the question is why I can't overclock to 950MHz like the article said

G

Hi. I have a HD3200 IGP (AMD 780G chipset) and would like to know what's the best GPU to setup Hybrid Crossfire with?

Status
Not open for further replies.