AMD's Physics Secret Revealed: It's Havok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
So they are paying to license X86 technology as it is and now they are going to also pay Intel a penny or two every freaking time they stamp a new GPU off their line? There needs to be a common platform that is not owned by one of the major players to level the playing field.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
AMD should be careful with Havok. Any information AMD gives to Havok about the Radeon will ultimately be used by Intel to develop their own discrete graphics system, which is just about the only area AMD still has a leg up on Intel. The X86 processor physix development doesn't matter nearly as much.

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
"So, why Havok?"
Because like many other chip companies AMD have become complacent
,don't want to spend money on R&D oh and the other guys saw more than one foot ahead and bought the better companies before AMD.
sandmanwn I agree 100%. How can AMD Work with Havok when, Intel their future GPU competitor and current CPU chipset competitor owns Havok?
Wow maybe AMD should just bend over a table and get it over with.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the AMD was out of PhysX, because Nvidia have it. Havok was owned by Intel... Witch one should be taken?... Intel can give Havok rights at small payment at this moment, because there is not any intel GPU that really can use it. Now AMD and Nvidia will fight to the dead between each others in graphick and physic engine level and Intel can come later and kill both of them, by makin havok much, much more expensive...
For intel this is win win situation...
Now Nvidia is alone with PhysX technology... how much there is gonna be support for both systems? Not much I can predict. One game will support one, and other game another technology. If Havok wins Nvidia will lose... If PhysX wins AMD lose (and Havok)... If situation is bad, I can see that Intel will put money to get Havok support to the games, if it seem to be that AMD is losing, just to be sure that it has the rights of the "right" physic engine. That would help AMD to compete with Nvidia in game market.
The marketing policity is guite strange from time to time...

G

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

G

I don't see this as really all that bad look at it this way, Intel boards were the only boards other than ATI branded boards that supported crossfire, and it has continuted to be that way. While they are certainly strage bedfellows so to speak if AMD want physics processing Havok is the way to go, if they go the R&D route and come up with an API all their own ala PhysX you have to worry about getting developers to support the tech which has always been the main problem with PhysX. WIth Havok AMD/ATI has an already established customer base to build off of. As far as intel and their upcoming discreet GPU's I think they have a long way to come before they are competetive with nVidia and ATI a winning GPU isnt going to come about over night especially considering massively parallel processors (like gpus) have never really been intels strong suit.

Lozil

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Intel Needs ATI for Those chipset Sales of them supporting Crossfire, Else Who will buy their Chipsets....? So they are Bringing in the ATI as they can't go and surrender To nVIDIA after so much going in between them...

Freeware Links

oafed

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
So will games support BOTH Havok and Phyx or do we get screwed if we can't predict which one will come out ahead and be used by the game developers?

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
[citation][nom]Oafed[/nom]So will games support BOTH Havok and Phyx or do we get screwed if we can't predict which one will come out ahead and be used by the game developers?[/citation]

I imagine games will support both. Otherwise you can guarantee the DOJ will get involved and nobody wants that.

hannibal

Distinguished

How many games at this moment support both Havok and PhysX? None I think.
Havok is used in many games, PhysX is used in UT3 (I think) and in couple of other releases.
So I would say that we are "screwed" in that sence. Expect to see PhysX support in Nvidia as it was meant to play titles and Havok in most of the rest...
It will be interesting game engine war coming.

Intel want to move into graphics.
Nvidia had an agreement with Intel re: chipset access for Intel CPU's ... but not for Nehalem.
Intel want SLI ... Nvidia won't allow a cross license.
Intel cancel Nehalem access for Southbridge license to Nvidia.
Nvidia withdraw SLI.

AMD chose Havock rather than NVidia API support for physics.

Sounds like Nvidia are being forced out by both Intel (who want to develop graphics support ... which is a threat to Nvidia) and AMD who are a direct competitor to Bvidia.

Watch NVIDIA's stock prices plummet ... apart from discrete graphics they are now screwed.

They are now worthless because AMD and INTEL won't allow them to offer chipset support, and Intel would rather cross license Crossfire to ATI and share physics support with AMD than NVidia.

This is compounded by both companies seeing Nvidia license ARM technology and add graphics support to achieve Tegra. Albeit not X86 as such ... but close enough to scare them.

Intel and AMD will team up to destroy Nvidia in the process.

Nvidia should have cross licensed SLI to Intel some months ago ... it was their only hope.

As I said many times before their bibble is about to burst.

Stock might have been at a high of $36 a few months ago but it is now dropping to around $21 ... within 6 months it will be back to the $4 price it is really worth ... or was on 2003.

Goodbye Nvidia.

That's what happens when your CEO gets a swollen head and forgets his place in the bigger scheme of things.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Intel chipset, processor, graphics(ati), havok
AMD chipset, processor, graphics(ati), havok

Seems leading to standard... Both platforms support Havok and graphics.

a 6pack in

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
first formost, i hate specific API, look at a prime example of 3dfx with their "glide" this kind of nonsense is not good. it will ultimately lead to fail.

i am excited to hear about this, I look forward to it.. being ive played both sides of the field. ATI vs nVidia, and AMD vs Intel.

both are great in their own right. but with diffrent API, i think is no good.

G

I think that Intel wants to roll havok out as early as possible to start to profit from it. Also they want to find any bugs, glitches, ect before its used on their own chips.

While it doesnt bode well for nVidia, i dont see this hurting them per say. They have too much of a following, and their cards are of great quality. I have never owned an ATi and never plan to.

All i think this will do is force nVidia to do something drastic, which has generally seemed to work relativly well in the past.

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I think If you get the ageia card and an ati 4000 video card you will have it all.

I already have the ageia card so i'm half way there right?

takealready

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Well that's what nVidia's co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang gets for shooting his mouth off. Now nvidia has to compete with Intel and AMD for profits.

All they can do now is hope that people go spend alot of money on their new 8800GT on steroids, I'm sorry I mean the GTX 260 & GTX 280. And start forcing (or bribing) game developers to start using CUDA so they can try to get a jump start on the INTEL/AMD team.

Status
Not open for further replies.