AMD's Trinity Pictured, May Launch on October 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Intel CPU having 10% more speed: Intel has no competition

AMD GPU on same chip being 50% to 150% faster: Meh, insignificant, Intel will catch up soon

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]raelsit[/nom]Intel CPU having 10% more speed: Intel has no competitionAMD GPU on same chip being 50% to 150% faster: Meh, insignificant, Intel will catch up soon[/citation]

Define "soon".

I think Intel will pick up the GPU progress, once software developers start picking up on relying GPUs more.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Define "soon".I think Intel will pick up the GPU progress, once software developers start picking up on relying GPUs more.[/citation]

*Soon* means in two to three years minimum. I keep saying this yet people chose not to listen. There are two sides to GPU's, the hardware and the software driver suite / optimizations. Intel getting competitive Hardware is just a matter of pumping enough money into R&D, something they can do easily enough. Getting a fully functional driver suite with program optimizations is MUCH harder, it takes years of working with the developers themselves to get this right. It was largely the secret to Nvidia's long running success before ATI (later AMD) finally caught on and started doing this.

I expect Intel to achieve hardware parity within another year or so, software driver parity on the other hand is going to take much longer.

[citation][nom]tului[/nom]I wonder why no A8 or A10?[/citation]

It may be that AMD is looking to clear the current inventory of A8/A6 as well as targeting the middle of the segment first.

G

AMD has been a disappointment after disappointment so far; at this point I'm not holding my breath for them to make a decent CPU. I think the built-in GPUs are great and all for those mini-towers and laptops, but in terms of actually making a powerful CPU (being a CPU company and all) they just can't seem to do it. The cheapy i3s have been beating out the Phenom II and especially those joke FX processors. I know you should never "pick sides" when it comes to manufacturing (since the leaders change constantly) but I had been an AMD fan for some time; I really liked their offerings for the DIY-PC crowd, offering really good performance at great prices without all the marketing, but at this point they are just getting freaking smashed in everything. Look at the actual programs and see the recommendations you'll get: Adobe - Intel/Nvidia; Sketchup - Intel/Nvidia; Autodesk - Intel/Nvidia; practically every game out there - Intel/(usually Nvidia). I guess the one decent use for AMD/ATI is HTPCs, but otherwise just not worth it. I replaced my wife's PC with an Intel, I replaced my PC and my work's PC with Nvidia, and now I'm also looking to replace my Phenom ii with, again, Intel.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
hopefully, there will be a FM2 micro atx motherboard that can do sli (or crossfire in x16/x16 mode, not x16/x4) please start competing with little intel motherboards......

Status
Not open for further replies.