An Apple Worth $39.3 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This news is a month or so old. And I think there was an article on Tom's here already about it. Does Tom's think we need another reminder of this shame? :D

I find it funny how Intel is half of Apple's value... I wonder what Apple would be doing without their CPUs. Or nVidia's graphics. Or Foxconn boards. Or... etc. Have you noticed how readily Apple supports the myth of their uniqueness, trying to avoid mentioning hardware specs as much as possible? Many people seriously DO think that Apple makes their own hardware, and they're wrong.

Sadly, they also think that market value and brand value equals to the quality and uniqueness of the company's products. Good advertisement, though.

[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I didn't realize that Apple was worth more than Microsoft. I find that surprising, actually....[/citation]
This isn't the value of the company. Just their brand name. IE if Apple wished to sale the apple logo/name. Currently bill gates, due mostly to his Microsoft stock, is worth 53 billion which is more than Apple's brand is worth.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/worlds-richest-people-slim-gates-buffett-billionaires-2010-intro.html

Here is the 10 richest companies in the world and Microsoft nor Apple is in the list.
http://exploredia.com/10-richest-companies-in-the-world-2011/

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I didn't realize that Apple was worth more than Microsoft. I find that surprising, actually....[/citation]

As someone else mentioned, they're referring to brand valuation only...however in terms of overall valuation, it's still way, way off the mark. Anyone that legitimately believes Apple has a higher valuation than Exxon Mobil is an idiot. Apple is a fad brand that makes consumer toys. In order to maintain revenue they have to continue to make new toys that people want to buy and I doubt their capacity to do so long term.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]There's a sucker born every minute... at least 2 in Apple's case. They have perfected the electronic fashion accessory.[/citation]
As an owner of several Macs over the years and various PC branded computers during my life like Dell and HP I can say the Macs are they most reliable in hardware and stable OS.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Here we go again... flame away! :D

As an owner of several FS/Asus branded computers, I can say the same about them. Never a hardware failure, never a software failure (except when I caused it, lol). In other words, GTFO troll.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]This isn't the value of the company. Just their brand name. IE if Apple wished to sale the apple logo/name. Currently bill gates, due mostly to his Microsoft stock, is worth 53 billion which is more than Apple's brand is worth.http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/w [...] intro.htmlHere is the 10 richest companies in the world and Microsoft nor Apple is in the list.http://exploredia.com/10-richest-c [...] orld-2011/[/citation]that's just revenue though, what's their NET WORTH? apple's market capitlization is $371 billion, that's more than what the US treasury has!

G

Isn't it amazing how numbers and statistics can be warped and twisted to make your intended point valid? Hmm,.... Strange world we live in indeed.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Google #1.

Shows how many people are completely unaware of how much of your online activity is being tracked by Google and stored in their databases.

sentinelspark

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
This is just a company that is paid to tell investors that the company they invest in is "valuable". This really means nothing about the company. The validity of those figures is like comparing a small jet liner to the IST. Microsoft has a Huge market share in the industry, far higher than Apple. Even GE is bigger. You cannot look at this figure alone.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
In a world of hunger and despair, I find it vomitous that people brag about Apple's worth to parallel something inside themselves by proxy. It just shows the lack of self confidence and humanity in terms of sharing that made Apple so much money. The ME generation on steroids. Amazing how this is the brand, not the company's true asset tree, but some troll will latch onto this just like other nonsense key phrases the Pinocchio company loves to regurgitate for their robots.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]This isn't the value of the company. Just their brand name. IE if Apple wished to sale the apple logo/name. Currently bill gates, due mostly to his Microsoft stock, is worth 53 billion which is more than Apple's brand is worth.http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/w [...] intro.htmlHere is the 10 richest companies in the world and Microsoft nor Apple is in the list.http://exploredia.com/10-richest-c [...] orld-2011/[/citation]
o_O Walmart is bigger then any oil company? amazing.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Anyway you put it, Apple will loose its momentum several times in the future, will fail with a product or products, will have bugs, will face problems, paradigm changes, recessions, you name it, and it will eventually die someday. Apple has to demonstrate every year it deserves the market attention as any other company who wants to stay relevant. But it wont make a great prediction to say very general arguments like these.

However if you have a great study bring it.

But every argument that works on one side also must be pondered on the other side. If for Apple will be difficult or impossible to continue creating the "new toys" for years so it will be hard for everyone else. Apple also has been hated when they were one the poorest computer companies. At those times haters were saying Apple would disappear in six month or so but that was 10 years ago.

So, they are having a great time now. The best I can say is save the negative feelings and do something great with that energy on your own life.

What I really dislike today has to do with some of our "current" values as individuals and as a society. But I can't blame Apple alone for that.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
here comes the malware....mac users won't know they have it because there is no software to warn them, lol.....yesssss

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Anyway you put it, Apple will loose its momentum several times in the future, will fail with a product or products, will have bugs, will face problems, paradigm changes, recessions, you name it, and it will eventually die someday. Apple has to demonstrate every year it deserves the market attention as any other company who wants to stay relevant. But it wont make a great prediction to say very general arguments like these.[/citation]
Very true. Eventually the Apple "style" will die, it's only a matter of time. When that day comes they won't be able to get by on their brand name alone. Then they'll really start having to prove themselves in market. To be honest, I think they are perfectly capable of doing so.

And even though I am not a fan of Apple's products (with the exception of their Macbook Pro line), I'll continue to welcome them into the market. Competition is good, it's what drives the industry forward.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Anyway you put it, Apple will loose its momentum several times in the future, will fail with a product or products, will have bugs, will face problems, paradigm changes, recessions, you name it, and it will eventually die someday. Apple has to demonstrate every year it deserves the market attention as any other company who wants to stay relevant. But it wont make a great prediction to say very general arguments like these.However if you have a great study bring it.But every argument that works on one side also must be pondered on the other side. If for Apple will be difficult or impossible to continue creating the "new toys" for years so it will be hard for everyone else. Apple also has been hated when they were one the poorest computer companies. At those times haters were saying Apple would disappear in six month or so but that was 10 years ago. So, they are having a great time now. The best I can say is save the negative feelings and do something great with that energy on your own life.What I really dislike today has to do with some of our "current" values as individuals and as a society. But I can't blame Apple alone for that.[/citation]

Agreed. The reason I make the claim that their valuation is ridiculous is that we have Apple with a higher valuation than established companies like Exxon Mobil, Coca Cola, etc. that have essentially been doing the same thing for a very, very long time. Exxon Mobile doesn't have to worry about product life cycles, changing consumer sentiment, or creating the 'next big thing'. Apple has failed many times in the past and will eventually fail on a product in the future (like any company that makes consumer electronics), so when there are claims that it's the most valuable company, I have to scoff.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

As I said, because Tom's wants us to be reminded of the shame for some mysterious reason :p Brainwashing by repetition of the same thing over and over, maybe?

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Proof that the ignorant, uninformed masses outnumber the informed consumers.

"My Mac can surf the Youtube thing faster than any Intel computer can, the guy at the store said so!"

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.