Discussion An Encrypted, Anonymous live chat hosted by Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Honestly, if this doesn't exist somehow, somewhere I totally don't understand why not because it seems like such a simple but extremely useful idea:

First, anyone with a Windows computer of any kind (Win10, XP, 7, Vista, 95, 2000, etc) should be able to use this. Basically any computer that has the ability to launch Command Prompt.

The Idea: Why does Command Prompt not have the ability to act as an encrypted, completely anonymous live-chat feature. Literally, a potentially multi-participant chat should be able to be created where only those who actually have the right registration information and password can even access the particular conversation to begin with. On top of that, every participant can set their identity to completely anonymous.

So, Features:
Command Prompt hosted...
Discussion registration required...
Encrypted and Anonymous...
Live chat...
Hostable across the literal internet... (internationally as long as any form of network connection to the internet exists)
Possible across different OS's...

Yes, it should also be possible to use across not only the internet itself (conversation between a computer in Los Angeles, CA and Cairo, Egypt) but across differing OS's as well (conversation between a computer using Windows 95' and Windows 10).

Usefulness:
I need to communicate in a data-safe(encrypted) way anonymously with (recipient's name here) to send them information that they need via a live chat-based conversation.

EX:

1. Open CMD
  2. AnonymoConvo.exe (or whatever the feature would be called)
  3. Enter Conversation Registration Key: 02HZ74Q-34RT76J.34 (this could literally be anything, just the key needed to draw the needed conversation. You can provide this by any means to anyone you need to converse with.)
  4. Enter (the title of the conversation created here) password: H3nRy1s@CraZyCaT (conversation creator/host will set the registration key and password manually).
  5. Now you've joined the CMD conversation that the host (whoever they are) created.
Set Username: Anonymous (Multiple people can set the username of anonymous or someone can set the username to either their real ID or anything they want it to be).

Anonymous: Hey guys what's up with you today?
Mr. Blue: Not too much, sitting playing Xbox.
Boink!: Wow dude! Get off the couch, you couch potato!

Ok so you get it now. I'm 99% certain this doesn't exist I just don't know why someone hasn't created it if it were even possible. I'm not a software dev, but from what I barely do know, as challenging tasks go, it doesn't seem like this would be difficult to create, but would be VERY VERY useful for an uncountable number of reasons.

PS: This doesn't even need to be hosted via Command Prompt (although it would be the AWESOMEST if it were). You could literally go to AnonymoConvo.org (or whatever) and this could be possible via a website. But I guess my real question is, something like this does not exist anywhere. Why does something like this not exist? I know Discord exists, but that requires actually downloading and installing that software. Via Command Prompt the feature would be extremely easily accessible via something that is already built into every single Windows OS everywhere. Website: less convenient that CMD. App: Less convenient than website... and so on for all of the things even close to this that do exist.

Last edited:

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Well like I said I'm not really a software developer but I would think the feature wold be designed the same way that any basic live chat works. You can live chat with someone in Egypt if you go to the right web address, why wouldn't launching the feature have the same potential. As soon as you run anonymoconvo.exe it automatically makes CMD a chat window for anyone who joins the conversation using the same layers that an online chat would use.

USAFRet

Titan
"command prompt" ?
You might as well ask why this capability does not exist in Notepad, or Adobe Acrobat, or MS Paint.

cmd.exe is a specific tool for a specific purpose.
That capability does not exist at the command prompt because:
  1. No one wrote it (yes, capabilities take code to actually do something)
  2. There are other tools and applications that do this
  3. Any junior developer that suggested this would be laughed out of the office

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't understand what command prompt has to do with this. Do you want this chate to operate completely in command line rather than a GUI for some reason?

Do you mean the participants are all completely anonymous to each other? Or just to the outside world? If the users are anonymous to each other, how would they initially make contact with each other to exchange the password/registration details required in order to join the chat in the first place?

There are a number of messaging services/apps that offer end to end encryption. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/761-best-encrypted-messaging-apps.html

To be blunt, this kind of comes across as "I'm 14 and just had this totally awesome, never before conceived idea".

Last edited:

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
I don't understand what command prompt has to do with this. Do you want this chate to operate completely in command line rather than a GUI for some reason?

Do you mean the participants are all completely anonymous to each other? Or just to the outside world? If the users are anonymous to each other, how would they initially make contact with each other to exchange the password/registration details required in order to join the chat in the first place?

There are a number of messaging services/apps that offer end to end encryption. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/761-best-encrypted-messaging-apps.html

To be blunt, this kind of comes across as 'I'm 14 and just had this totally awesome, never before conceived idea'.

Participants would be completely anonymous to each other. The outside world wouldn't be able to see this, only anyone signed into that particular session would be able to see what's going on (not including anyone who can see their computer screen). As far as why CMD? Well, one I just had a picture of my head, I like the idea of the plainness of it, a command-line based live chat that is just super basic. Two command prompt is already a text base and the chat window (that I have in my head) would be just that: a line for line chat of people entering their entries and responses the same way it would look as if you pulled up codes for a console command list in a game. A solid black background, green text, and the ability to chat with anyone anywhere any time without having to have a web browser opened. Simplistic.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
"command prompt" ?
You might as well ask why this capability does not exist in Notepad, or Adobe Acrobat, or MS Paint.

cmd.exe is a specific tool for a specific purpose.
That capability does not exist at the command prompt because:
  1. No one wrote it (yes, capabilities take code to actually do something)
  2. There are other tools and applications that do this
  3. Any junior developer that suggested this would be laughed out of the office

Well, I'm not a junior developer, I'm a none developer. Notepad doesn't really execute any commands for Windows unless it's written in the form of a batch file where as Command Prompt has tons and tons of different functions if you know the right commands. You can launch most programs through command prompt or manipulate the registry via certain commands. This idea doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility.

USAFRet

Titan
Participants would be completely anonymous to each other. The outside world wouldn't be able to see this, only anyone signed into that particular session would be able to see what's going on (not including anyone who can see their computer screen). As far as why CMD? Well, one I just had a picture of my head, I like the idea of the plainness of it, a command-line based live chat that is just super basic. Two command prompt is already a text base and the chat window (that I have in my head) would be just that: a line for line chat of people entering their entries and responses the same way it would look as if you pulled up codes for a console command list in a game. A solid black background, green text, and the ability to chat with anyone anywhere any time without having to have a web browser opened. Simplistic.
So there would need to be some sort of logical grouping due to topic.
You don't want someone looking for legal advice during a divorce talking to a 13 year old wanting to talk about Fortnite.
And then you'd need some sort of admin or moderator, to keep the trolls at bay.
And available on just about every operating system and version.
And text based

hm...you just invented a time machine, and discovered IRC!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This idea doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility.
Oh, I don't think any of us consider this to be impossible. It's more that we can't think of any good reason why anyone would develop or use such a program.

I still don't see any reason why someone would want this be all done via command line, other than so they can feel like a 'l33t haxor' because they're working in a terminal window.

And as has been said, encrypted/'anonymous' messenger applications already exist. If you want to take anonymity to the next level, you could use a VPN and/or Tor networking.

It really seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel here, in a way that would get you an inferior wheel.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Of course, Dilbert has this covered:
0KYGtoj.jpg

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
So there would need to be some sort of logical grouping due to topic.
You don't want someone looking for legal advice during a divorce talking to a 13 year old wanting to talk about Fortnite.
And then you'd need some sort of admin or moderator, to keep the trolls at bay.
And available on just about every operating system and version.
And text based

hm...you just invented a time machine, and discovered IRC!

Well, to be clear, the content of this would be much more pointed. Nobody can just join in unless they are specifically given the registration key and password for the convo that you expressly created, so, you would never be talking to any 13 year old about Fortnite unless that was specifically the purpose of creating the discussion assuming that the person that you gave the reg key and password to was to know what you needed to talk to them about. It would be less, random people than very specifically purposed conversation with very specific people.

Just out of random example...……….. if someone, for example... needed to have a conversation with someone in a case where it might be aggressively frowned upon to be discovered chatting with them in any public situation. That may be an example of where something like this would be of use.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
And as has been said, encrypted/'anonymous' messenger applications already exist. If you want to take anonymity to the next level, you could use a VPN and/or Tor networking.

Things where you have to download an app or install something or via a web browser or something like that right?

USAFRet

Titan
Well, to be clear, the content of this would be much more pointed. Nobody can just join in unless they are specifically given the registration key and password for the convo that you expressly created, so, you would never be talking to any 13 year old about Fortnite unless that was specifically the purpose of creating the discussion assuming that the person that you gave the reg key and password to was to know what you needed to talk to them about. It would be less, random people than very specifically purposed conversation with very specific people.

Just out of random example...……….. if someone, for example... needed to have a conversation with someone in a case where it might be aggressively frowned upon to be discovered chatting with them in any public situation. That may be an example of where something like this would be of use.
So how do I know who to give this reg key to?

USAFRet

Titan
You could simply test it to them. Even if someone somehow stole/hacked/sniffed/read the text they would have no idea what it was for, but the person you sent it to would know exactly what it was for.
Text it to whom? Let's say you are knowledgeable on F-150 trucks.
I have an F-150.

How do I find you, some random internet person, to send you this registration key and password, so that you and I can converse on the overheating issue with my truck?

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Text it to whom? Let's say you are knowledgeable on F-150 trucks.
I have an F-150.

How do I find you, some random internet person, to send you this registration key and password, so that you and I can converse on the overheating issue with my truck?

Didn't I already answer this? The person you're communicating with isn't random. You would have some prior communication with them and could text them what they need to join your discussion. It's a lot like Windows 10's Quick Assist. There are tons of remote support tools out there you have to download and install or join a web page for or buy or whatever, but Quick Assist is built directly into Windows 10 and requires no web browser, no install of software, no buying anything, it's just already there and that makes it way way way more convenient for remote support than anything else specific to Win10. That idea is a lot like this. It would in theory be that simple to use.

USAFRet

Titan
Didn't I already answer this? The person you're communicating with isn't random, just anonymous and secure. You would have some prior communication with them and could text them what they need to join your discussion. It's a lot like Windows 10's Quick Assist. There are tons of remote support tools out there you have to download and install or join a web page for or buy or whatever, but Quick Assist is built directly into Windows 10 and requires no web browser, no install of software, no buying anything, it's just already there and that makes it way way way more convenient for remote support than anything else specific to Win10. That idea is a lot like this. It would in theory be that simple to use.
So if this already exists, what value does shoving this into cmd bring to the table?
As you say...it already exists.

And from a security viewpoint, this is a really bad idea.
Adding internet wide connection/communication capabilities into the tool that can be used to manipulate every part of my OS, data, and hardware is a very, very bad idea.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
TBH at this point I'm pretty much done with this conversation. I'd be willing to continue with discussing ideas if the responses weren't so toxically negative and entitled to make someone feel like they are a moron for trying to think of something cool, god forbid they don't already know of everything everywhere that exists. But hey, this is typical Tom's Hardware like I said. I'm sure this isn't the first or last time someone's creative thinking will be met with hostility. I didn't say, what I'm describing already exists. If that were the case why would I even be suggesting it.

FUN FACT: Not every response you leave needs to be blatantly intended to get the OP to leave Tom's Hardware, recommend against it to everyone they know, and never come back again. Try responding with a positive alternative suggestion once in a while, or not at this point like I said I'm kinda done purely from the hostility of these responses (for whatever reason that they seem to just be hostile by default for.)

Responses generally ARE toxically negative to ideas that everybody except the person who came up with them understands are really bad ideas.

That being said, and without trying to be "toxic", I can only say that the fact that nobody comes into a thread where a bad idea has been presented, and a number of very good reasons WHY it is a bad idea have been counter presented to explain why it's a bad idea, and offers positive reinforcement for the bad idea, does not make the replies toxic. It just makes them honest. Sometimes honesty "feels" toxic when it's OUR own idea, but that's usually not true once we reflect upon it at a later date.

Nobody wishes to chase you away from Tom's hardware, but the idea is bad, and we tend to not coddle people with warm fuzzies when they ask for honest opinions about an idea that most everybody can see from the start is tremendously, horribly, not good.

And as mentioned, there are and have been a number of similar methods of online communication available that are not browser based, not particularly easily trackable, offer potentially anonymous participation and DON'T open your system up to complete and easy control by nefarious third parties, like IRC, Talkomatic, CB simulator, ICQ and most recently, Team viewer. None of which require a browser and all of which can be available ONLY to whomever it is you are wanting to directly communicate with. No command line access required or allowed. Much more secure than allowing somebody else access to the entire kernel.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
A. I can accept that you think this is a bad idea I have no issue with that at all. I don't agree that it is because I believe that a dedicated person could make thos work fine but I get that you don't have any interest the ideas of others.
B. It seems a bit over presumptuous to say that everyone thinks this is a bad idea. We're still talking about a matter of opinion here and there isn't anything historically or factually accurate to say that this would be either impossible to make or for that matter 'garbage' if it did exist.
C. I agree with the argument that I do need to do my research on this but my biggest issue with Tom's is the overall unnecessarily sarcastic attitude of "wow what a moron you are because I know something you don't and because you don't know everything ever', especially when it comes from someone who is supposed to be in a position of authority when it comes to these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.