Discussion An Encrypted, Anonymous live chat hosted by Command Prompt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Honestly, if this doesn't exist somehow, somewhere I totally don't understand why not because it seems like such a simple but extremely useful idea:

First, anyone with a Windows computer of any kind (Win10, XP, 7, Vista, 95, 2000, etc) should be able to use this. Basically any computer that has the ability to launch Command Prompt.

The Idea: Why does Command Prompt not have the ability to act as an encrypted, completely anonymous live-chat feature. Literally, a potentially multi-participant chat should be able to be created where only those who actually have the right registration information and password can even access the particular conversation to begin with. On top of that, every participant can set their identity to completely anonymous.

So, Features:
Command Prompt hosted...
Discussion registration required...
Encrypted and Anonymous...
Live chat...
Hostable across the literal internet... (internationally as long as any form of network connection to the internet exists)
Possible across different OS's...

Yes, it should also be possible to use across not only the internet itself (conversation between a computer in Los Angeles, CA and Cairo, Egypt) but across differing OS's as well (conversation between a computer using Windows 95' and Windows 10).

Usefulness:
I need to communicate in a data-safe(encrypted) way anonymously with (recipient's name here) to send them information that they need via a live chat-based conversation.

EX:

1. Open CMD
  2. AnonymoConvo.exe (or whatever the feature would be called)
  3. Enter Conversation Registration Key: 02HZ74Q-34RT76J.34 (this could literally be anything, just the key needed to draw the needed conversation. You can provide this by any means to anyone you need to converse with.)
  4. Enter (the title of the conversation created here) password: H3nRy1s@CraZyCaT (conversation creator/host will set the registration key and password manually).
  5. Now you've joined the CMD conversation that the host (whoever they are) created.
Set Username: Anonymous (Multiple people can set the username of anonymous or someone can set the username to either their real ID or anything they want it to be).

Anonymous: Hey guys what's up with you today?
Mr. Blue: Not too much, sitting playing Xbox.
Boink!: Wow dude! Get off the couch, you couch potato!

Ok so you get it now. I'm 99% certain this doesn't exist I just don't know why someone hasn't created it if it were even possible. I'm not a software dev, but from what I barely do know, as challenging tasks go, it doesn't seem like this would be difficult to create, but would be VERY VERY useful for an uncountable number of reasons.

PS: This doesn't even need to be hosted via Command Prompt (although it would be the AWESOMEST if it were). You could literally go to AnonymoConvo.org (or whatever) and this could be possible via a website. But I guess my real question is, something like this does not exist anywhere. Why does something like this not exist? I know Discord exists, but that requires actually downloading and installing that software. Via Command Prompt the feature would be extremely easily accessible via something that is already built into every single Windows OS everywhere. Website: less convenient that CMD. App: Less convenient than website... and so on for all of the things even close to this that do exist.

Last edited:
Its feasible just create a C# or VB.NET console application, insert the correct namespaces for encryption and communication, etc. etc. Its not an insignificant amount of work for something I don't see a market for.
You would need a server so people could find and connect to each other since everything and everyone is anonymous. By introducing a server you have a major area where 1. a lot of code needs to be written to handle the connections and finding anonymous people, 2. now you've introduced a central point where communications can be monitored.

D

Deleted member 14196

agreed. many reasons it's a bad idea. if this were a SWOT analysis this idea would be dead. you can always use skype.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Things where you have to download an app or install something or via a web browser or something like that right?
Yes. How do you propose your "AnonymoConvo.exe" application be obtained?
Didn't I already answer this? The person you're communicating with isn't random, just anonymous and secure. You would have some prior communication with them and could text them what they need to join your discussion.
How do you know their phone number to text them (or whatever) if they're anonymous?

Edit: I guess there are different ideas of what constitutes anonymous. Do you mean that you simply don't know they're real name/identity (e.g. in the way I am anonymous to you because you only know my TH username)? Or anonymous in the sense that not only do you not know their identity but it would be impossible/difficult to determine their identity (even for someone with resources to do that sort of thing, like law enforcement)? In my mind I was imagining the latter, but maybe you were referring to the former.

Edit2: And I apologize for my earlier condescending "14 year old" comment.

Last edited:

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Anonymous like, I am in communication with them but their full identity remains unknown until I arrange an in-person meeting with them. Let's say for example you wanted to hire a hitman. This would allow you to have a conversation with someone where as soon as the window was closed the conversation was virtually erased. Anyone seen The Hulk? (The one with Liv Tyler and Edward Norton). Remember when he is talking with Mr. Blue? That was partly something that triggered my though inspiration for this idea. Something that is so basic literally anyone of any knowledge level can use the feature that is by default built directly into an operating system. That would be a challenge is how to get it because you'd still have to "install" it somehow or at least get someone you wanted to communicate with to do a few technical steps which defeats the point. I guess you'd have to establish a large group of users using this in order for this to go in the direction of becoming useful.

USAFRet

Titan
No one is saying that a chat function is a bad idea. There are dozens of them.
All pretty much...'anonymous'. Like right here. You have no idea of my real name or where I am.
Or any of the dozens (hundreds?) of other similar functions and applications.
Anon, encrypted, whatever. Billions of dollars have been made and lost on building such tools. Snapchat, twitter, AIM, etc, etc, etc.

The 'bad idea' is trying to build that code and functionality into the cmd.exe application.
That serves no purpose. And is actually dangerous, from a security point of view.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Anonymous like, I am in communication with them but their full identity remains unknown until I arrange an in-person meeting with them. Let's say for example you wanted to hire a hitman. This would allow you to have a conversation with someone where as soon as the window was closed the conversation was virtually erased.
I'm still not clear which of my two notions of anonymity you're aiming for. As said above, finding a messaging service where you can chat with someone without immediately knowing their true identity is trivial. But in your example of hiring a hitman, I would assume that you would want/need a service that prevents law enforcement from ascertaining your identity, which is more involved. So if that's the case, I'll ask again, how would you find the person you want to talk to and and share the chat password with them in the first place?

Also, I'm not sure how you could ensure the conversation gets erased and can't be saved.

You seem to be hung up on launching the application through command line. Do you realize that running a .exe through a command line is fundamentally no different than double clicking on an executable on your desktop? It doesn't mean that the application is 'built into' the command line. So unless your hope would be that Microsoft would include this "AnonymoConvo.exe" with their standard Windows installations, you'd still have to acquire the application some other way, same as any other app. And to be honest, I'm not sure why having to download/install the application is really an issue.

USAFRet

Titan
This would allow you to have a conversation with someone where as soon as the window was closed the conversation was virtually erased.
Except for the whole conversation trail that lives on all the servers in between.

Sounds like SnapChat.
"Snapchat servers are designed to automatically delete all Snaps after they've been viewed by all recipients. "
Except for the whole thing about....no they don't.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Status
Not open for further replies.