An Eyeful of Samsung's 55-inch Stunning Curved OLED TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I don't see the need for it to be curved. It's an OLED screen not an LCD screen so it's not going to go all apeshit-looking when you try to look at it from anywhere else besides directly in front from far away. This is hardly curved enough to provide surround vision either.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Im throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening, i just yesterday commented on the 21.9 monitor saying they should make it curved with where oled is technology at.While we may not have a resolution for this it is certainly a walk in the right direction, Samsung has earned a thumbs up from me this year.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"The idea behind the curved design is to improve viewing angles as well as the general viewing experience by offering a panoramic effect."

Wouldn't that only be true for people somewhat directly in front of it? If you are looking more from the side, the nearest side will be somewhat obscured by the curve, no?

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
So these new curved displays are able to reflect sunlight and other light sources at you no matter what angle you view from. Yay.

If a video frame is captured from what is essentially a flat, rectangular image collector (typically the CCD?), then shouldn't that image be rendered on a flat, rectangular device to avoid distortion?

Not a fan of curved displays. No thank you.

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
At first I didn't see the point of the curved screens. Now though all I can imagine is a curved, bezel-less, 5760x1080 monitor. That would be glorious.

alfaalex101

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
(Raises arm up in the air) "So, I can see how this would benefit a singular viewer but if there were more people viewing the screen, wouldn't that cram people together more as opposed to a more open and flat screen?"

Samsung Rep: "I uhh...uhh...err....SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 WAOOH!!!"

G

Does anyone know if OLED gets rid of the low-light ghosting effects that I get on my edge-lit model? It's not too bad, but noticeable.

FeelLicks

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
@sammyjenkis
OLED doesn't use backlighting(such as edge-lit or full array) so in short, it won't have ghosting effects.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Unless the content is specially recorded and mastered for a curved display, then I see this as a problem. Regular (flat) content will be warped on a curved display. Take photograph and curve it, does it look right to you?

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]I wonder how a curved TV will affect the viewing angle for people sitting in a room to actually see everything on the screen without distortion because of the curve. Not the theoretical max viewing angle of the screen, but the max "Hey I'm going to sit here to watch the football game" angle.[/citation]
I'm fairly sure a curved screen is better than a flat screen as long as you're still inside the frustum created by the edges of the screen (the ideal viewing spot is the middle of the line where the planes meet).
That's probably why they made the curvature so small (so you have a wide frustum).

a1b2c3

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Samsung puts a highly reflective glass on their LCD Tvs. Wonder if they'll do the same for their OLEDs. (I hate seeing reflections when I watch Tv.)

mikewong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Curved display is only good when you are close to the screen, like a monitor. What about a screen that have a customizable curvature?

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]How much distortion do you ever see at the movie theatre? Because those screens have been curved for years now. It's not like its curved into a half-pipe here. It just has a slight curvature to help with viewing angles; and it does help, actually. Personally, I think it's a work of art![/citation]
That would be different as people are sitting far away from the screen. With a TV, you would be much closer which would change the angular relationships.

IMO, this kind of thing makes way more sense for a computer monitor as, usually, only one person is viewing it, and they are viewing it from the center. A 55" is usually a living room TV, and that usually implies multiple viewers, which makes for weird angular views on a curved set like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.