An HTML5 Exploit Can Fill Your Entire Hard Drive Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]Nothing about Firefox?[/citation]

Read the whole thing:

[citation]The report states that Chrome 25, Safari 6 and Internet Explorer 10 were tested positive with the exploit. For 32-bit browsers like Google's Chrome, the entire browser may crash before the disk is filled. Even more, Feross claims that Firefox isn’t affected because Mozilla's browser has a smarter implantation of "localStorage".[/citation]

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I use a Macbook Pro and Safari advanced preferences allows you to set the amount of database storage from 0 on up. It also allows you turn of and on other aspects of the web by selecting show develop under advanced preferences.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]I use a Macbook Pro and Safari advanced preferences allows you to set the amount of database storage from 0 on up. It also allows you turn of and on other aspects of the web by selecting show develop under advanced preferences.[/citation]

golfclap

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]I use a Macbook Pro and Safari advanced preferences allows you to set the amount of database storage from 0 on up. It also allows you turn of and on other aspects of the web by selecting show develop under advanced preferences.[/citation]I used to think you were just a troll, but my opinion of you has actually worsened. Epic reading comprehension fail.

Why don't you go to the guy's exploit demo site, filldisk.com, and check it out?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Feross is calling on web surfers to submit a bug report to Google, Apple and Microsoft so that a fix will be released in the immediate future."

If any one of them chose not to fix this ASAP, without me having to go tell them, then the other two with drive them out of business. What the heck let one of them go out of business, I don't care, the field is too crowed anyway. I say let's not tell them and they will wonder what we are all snickering at and the joke will be on them. What a hoot!
/sarcasm

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Chrome 25 crashed after about 700MB of uncompressed madness.
Cool how with NTFS compression, the files are automatically compressed to a 7:1 ratio or so (700MB uncompressed, 100MB compressed).
So obviously the main concern is the browser crashing than hard drive space.

glob

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Misleading title. As stated in the article, a number of browsers didn't implement the specs correctly; nothing wrong with HTML 5 (regarding this, at least).

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Too bad Opera has already announced they'll switch to WebKit... =/[/citation]
Got a link? I'd like to read that.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"You're using Firefox, so you're safe. This demo won't work for you. Try Chrome, Safari, or IE." Thou shalt not pass but.....I wanted to play in the litter box with all the other cats!!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
he was able to full up 1 GB of HDD space every 16 seconds

Lucky bastard, even if I tried it would take an hour or so to fill 1 Gb from the net.

Edit: Scratch that. I tried it and watched the space fill quite rapidly. Apparently Chrome is so poorly programed it fills the 5 megs with data even if a lot less is actually stored.

Morons

[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]The silver lining to this could be that the exploit is a free drive scrubber for those looking to overwrite all sectors on a hard drive.[/citation]

This.

Juliana Reed

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Is this similar to the idea of email bombing? as in overfilling web hosting nodes, but instead you're repeating cache downloads? came here via News article: http://www.webhostingmadness.com/blog/general/web-hosting-stories-you-may-have-missed-mar-4-2013/

Status
Not open for further replies.