[SOLVED] An WiFi Access point causing issues on another access point

minis_pozdol

Commendable
Mar 2, 2022
Hello there,
I recently installed a couple of WiFi access points (let's called them AP1 and AP2) within my home, and thought that I had installed everything correctly. However, after I installed the last Access Point (AP2), I began to have issues with devices connected to AP1.

My Android phone couldn't connect to the internet if it was automatically assigned an IP address, but when assigned one statically it would connect.
With Ubuntu, websites would time-out after a certain amount of time on the internet.
Window devices show an error which says that they are configured correctly but, the device or resource ([website]) is not responding.
iOS devices seems to have no problem connecting to the internet.

After disconnecting AP2, the problem disappeared. I can't disconnect AP2 indefinitely since it's for my rent tenants. Both access points are old wifi routers that were configured so that they would act as access points. Both have their DHCP servers disabled, and their IP addresses are changed so it wouldn't conflict with other devices. I don't know why AP2 would cause this issue, does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

Last edited:
Solution
Hello there,
I recently installed a couple of WiFi access points (let's called them AP1 and AP2) within my home, and thought that I had installed everything correctly. However, after I installed the last Access Point (AP2), I began to have issues with devices connected to AP1.

My Android phone couldn't connect to the internet if it was automatically assigned an IP address, but when assigned one statically it would connect.
With Ubuntu, websites would time-out after a certain amount of time on the internet.
Window devices show an error which says that they are configured correctly but, the device or resource ([website]) is not responding.

After disconnecting AP2, the...

Ralston18

Titan
How many "rent tenants"?

Do they only have wireless network service via your network or can they physically connect somewhere via an Ethernet cable?

On the main (DHCP) router did you reserve the static IP addresses assigned to the AP1 and AP2 via the APs' respective MACs?

Are the assigned AP static IP addresses outside of the allowed range of DHCP IP addresses?

Are both AP1 and AP2 connected to the main router via Ethernet cables? Check the Ethernet cable paths for some "unexpected" device. Especially to AP2.

Sketch out a simple diagram of your network showing all devices, switches, wall jacks, etc..

And where the rent tenants may be connecting. Or could connect.

Fill in the diagram as much as you can with what you know about your network and who should be and is allowed to be connected to your network.

Then check the router. Most routers provide some listing of network devices along with the device status: connected/disconnected.

The router's log (if available and enabled) may prove helpful.

Seeing the big picture may provide a clue.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello there,

After disconnecting AP2, the problem disappeared. I can't disconnect AP2 indefinitely since it's for my rent tenants. Both access points are old wifi routers that were configured so that they would act as access points. Both have their DHCP servers disabled, and their IP addresses are changed so it wouldn't conflict with other devices. I don't know why AP2 would cause this issue, does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?
It sounds like these aren't access points, but rather routers used as access points. Is that correct? Dedicated AP hardware doesn't have a DHCP server to disable.
Multiple WIFI sources should have unique channels assigned -- 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz with 20 Mhz channel width and unique channels (below 50 is universally available) and 40Mhz channel width.

Solution

minis_pozdol

Commendable
Mar 2, 2022
It sounds like these aren't access points, but rather routers used as access points. Is that correct? Dedicated AP hardware doesn't have a DHCP server to disable.
Multiple WIFI sources should have unique channels assigned -- 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz with 20 Mhz channel width and unique channels (below 50 is universally available) and 40Mhz channel width.
Yes, you are right. These are just old routers that I manually set so it would act as Access Points. Anyways, I managed to find what the problem was, the tenant's router (AP2) had DHCPv6 enabled. I had only turned off the DHCP server for IPv4 on both routers/access points. AP1 and main router had DHCPv6 turned off on default as the ISP didn't support IPv6. AP2, the tenant's router, did not have IPv6 disable be default. Thanks for reply through, really appreciate it!